The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

UK government pensions being received in many other countries, including Commonwealth countries, are frozen at their value on the day they are first picked up. There are no further increases applied. Australia is one of those countries.

We received rather confusing letters from the UK about that recently. I'm not sure if ours are going up or not :) It's hard to tell anyway because the amounts fluctuate with the exchange rate.

We received rather confusing letters from the UK about that recently. I'm not sure if ours are going up or not :) It's hard to tell anyway because the amounts fluctuate with the exchange rate.

UK state pensions paid in the US are indexed. You lot revolted - you get indexed pensions. We stuck by the mother country - we don't.

The old truck was finally traded against the new truck in all its redness today. I was held up on the return trip for at least an hour due to a serious accident on Interstate 90 on the Fourth Of July Pass. It's nasty and twisty with a 65 MPH limit but a lot of the bends are only safe at 60 or less. There was a mangled pickup truck and a big-rig lying on its side. Many of the Jersey barriers down the middle were scattered all over the road. Not nice at all.

• RMweb Premium

*this may or may not include Canadians, I think it does given the close ties between railroads either side of the border, but Canada has a considerable British (and some French) influence so it may vary due to regional differences. Simply said: I don't know for sure :P

Canadians used to refer to the position as "engineer".  The newspapers now seem to use the term "conductor".

• RMweb Premium

There is a lot of discussion about UK pension indexation in Canada (at least among the Brits).  The nub appears to be that it is a reciprocal arrangement -- if Canada indexes pensions for Danadians who retire to Britain, Britain will index pensions for Brits in Canada.

There is some other clause about returning over 'ome for a certain length of time causing the pension to bump up.

Can't say more as I'm not involved either way.

At the dawning of another day, greetings

As some will know, I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 2005.  Mostly it is in remission but every once in a while the old black dog wags his tail.  He picked a good moment yesterday, when I was on the bus bound for breakfast.  When I got home I crawled under the duvet for an hour or so and decided to do something useful.  I repaired to the garden, wielded the fork for about an hour, despatched lots of triffids, tired myself out and felt much better.  Feel free to ask what reason I have to be depressed.   Apart from two ailments which could kill me and issues with confidence, not much.  What helps me deal with it is the sure and certain knowledge that there are others in trouble a whole lot worse than me.

Today there will be much purposeful striding as I need to walk from home to the station and from St Albans station to the arts centre in the suburbs - OK, one suburb - where the New Roots final is to be held.  Doing it this way saves me about 70 car miles which will enable me to do other things in the months to come.  Oh yes, I get some exercise too and I get to enjoy the state of the art seating on a Thameslink Class 700.

There is much more to read so I leave with warm thoughts and best wishes to Tony and Aditi, Debs, Simon, Mal and everyone else who deserves them.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Lummy..its not raining!

Today I have to drive to Rolleston on Dove to attend a cricket umpire assessor/observer course. Yippeedddooo!

Mugatea has arrived so TTFN

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, inner temple here,

3 hours sleep in bed, 3 on the sofa, I would have tried to sleep longer in bed but SWMBO is coughing and spluttering with A cold. I have yet to suffer this cold, things don't look good for next week.

I'll add the rank of the birthday boys equivalents to Major, that's Squadron Leader.

I was woken by Ben the Border Collie, who wanted out, only to see the dismal weather, so after a quick additional watering on the daffodils he ran back in.

Deb's has had her revenge, yesterday i was viewing, 0.65, 1, 2, 4, 7 mm scaled locomotive drivers and some heavy imperial scaled equipment with 12 inches to the foot drivers standing alongside. All inside, while outside it was dry warm and sunny.

Today I wished to work outside, sort out the roof of a building to contain 2mm and 4mm scaled drivers, and it's dreich, very dreich with signs of former heavy rain.

My back is quite painful after all that time on foot yesterday, so shortly it's ibuprofen with breakfast, before installing some insulation in the walls and roof of the alleyway and shed.

Since it's dreich,

Time to... Make some porridge

Morning all,

at one time I had a young colleague who was a Flt. Lt. , a medic and also with a Ph.D.

Referred to as "Flut, Lut, Drer, Drer.  :jester:

I think retaining your military rank has pretty much died out; I can't think of any colleagues that felt the need/bothered.  

I seem to remember a close relative retained his pennant when he retired recently. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Up at 06:45 this morning to be greeted by rain, an Idiot neighbour decided to try and repair his garage door again at 05:00 this morning words to the effect 

of "S.T.F.U. Bozo" were spoken to him, painting has been deffered for a day the house was full of fumes overnite with windows left open to clear the smell it's

why I heard the Bozo making a racket, HER has grabbed the bathroom again so I will while away the time on here.

I see Beasty boy has (tried to)put his SWMBO firmly in her place from day one good luck with that move Sunshine she will get her own way very soon and

you will be under the THUMB believe me I tried that and lost. :D

Bread makers on a hospital wards thats a new one on me I wonder if I can take a toaster in Tuesday when I go for my jab. :laugh:

Have a good one you all  Malcolm

Edited by 81C
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It is damp upon the Hill of Strawberries. There is grey matter hanging in a sad way above the rooftops. The large frying pan has been employed for the creation of breakfast.

Dave bound for Diss should be aware of the unique feature of that place. Very few folk have ever seen it because every time you approach the town it, Diss, appears.

I’ll get my coat .........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. It is damp upon the Hill of Strawberries. There is grey matter hanging in a sad way above the rooftops. The large frying pan has been employed for the creation of breakfast.

Dave bound for Diss should be aware of the unique feature of that place. Very few folk have ever seen it because every time you approach the town it, Diss, appears.

I’ll get my coat .........

Andy our dear leader when is that long awaited Groan button going to appear.

Also belated congrats to Dave and Mrs Dave. I forgot to mention that in my earlier missive.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Folks. A grey, but dry day here in Newport. 

Mrs Smith has a severe cold, so I am on waiter duty. A cup of tea will be required shortly. In the meantime, I'm watching some excellent tutorial videos on Youtube, about weathering mineral wagons.

The tea request has just gone in, so I'm away.

I hope you have a good rest of your weekend, and the week to come.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 18

Morning all, but not a good one so far. The fill valve on a toilet in the house packed up last week for some reason that I couldn’t work out, despite taking it apart. Solution was to buy a new one, but I couldn’t find a suitable one in town, so bought one off Amazon. It arrived speedily so today I set out to fit it. Turns out that it’s screw thread for the water inlet is half an inch shorter than the current one, so without major pipe work or wall surgery, it won’t fit. Return to Amazon required.

Just in case there are any plumbing experts on here, I have a photo of the disassembled old one, to see if anyone can shed any light on why it doesn’t work. When I reassemble it, it works for a few seconds, then the water flow just stops. There isn’t a filter to block, but I can’t see what the tiny white bit is for on the black gasket. The central white bit is obvious as the plunger pin, but the other bit baffles me. It moves within the black gasket, but doesn’t seem to want to come out. Any ideas gratefully received!

post-9029-0-59219800-1523181947_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Not a lot happening.

I don't think anyone in my family past would have been able to retain military rank after leaving the army. Dad ended up as a Colour Sgt whatever that was or is.

The consultant I see at Royal London Hospital has a PhD so is a genuine Doctor. However he has recently become Professor.

There was a chap at Aditi's last college who insisted on Dr followed by his forename. He disappeared after the press exposed assorted naughty activities.

We heard from the Garda yesterday. They sent us a list of Matthew's items they have in their possession.

I suppose tomorrow we will have to start admin stuff about Matthew.

I looked online to see what I was supposed to do about informing authorities here but it just said Irish certification is valid here. All we have so far is a cremation certificate. Other documentation takes time.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from  Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, mostly due to yesterdays exertions. On our way back from Mangapps we called into Tesco's, as we pulled in I saw a pidgeon that had been run over in the bay I was about to use. Fortunately it was in the middle of the bay so by parking the car over it I avoided getting anything unpleasant on the tyres and anyone treading in the same. When we came back however someone had parked close to the passenger side of the car so my friend and his young son had to wait for me to reverse out of the bay before getting into the car. It was then that the lad spotted the dead bird and became upset at the sight. Being in the back seat meant that he didn't see it on the way in.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, but not a good one so far. The fill valve on a toilet in the house packed up last week for some reason that I couldn’t work out, despite taking it apart. Solution was to buy a new one, but I couldn’t find a suitable one in town, so bought one off Amazon. It arrived speedily so today I set out to fit it. Turns out that it’s screw thread for the water inlet is half an inch shorter than the current one, so without major pipe work or wall surgery, it won’t fit. Return to Amazon required.

Just in case there are any plumbing experts on here, I have a photo of the disassembled old one, to see if anyone can shed any light on why it doesn’t work. When I reassemble it, it works for a few seconds, then the water flow just stops. There isn’t a filter to block, but I can’t see what the tiny white bit is for on the black gasket. The central white bit is obvious as the plunger pin, but the other bit baffles me. It moves within the black gasket, but doesn’t seem to want to come out. Any ideas gratefully received!

attachicon.gif8F9B25D2-64D9-4590-BB5B-B8E05D4AEE6A.jpeg

Sorry Simon, it's a new style on me. Anyone else?

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif8F9B25D2-64D9-4590-BB5B-B8E05D4AEE6A.jpeg

When I fitted out an en-suite a few years I had a problem with the cistern filler not quite reaching the existing pipe so I shortened the pipe and used a flexible hose.
  • Like 3

When I fitted out an en-suite a few years I had a problem with the cistern filler not quite reaching the existing pipe so I shortened the pipe and used a flexible hose.

I hadn’t thought of that, Tony! However, the space is just too tight to fit even a very short flexible hose, and I have sorted out the Amazon return for the short filler now. If I can’t fix the existing one, then it will be either a trip to a local Travis Perkins, or B&Q in Workington next weekend, on my way through to Maryport for the Maryport Model Rail Exhibition.