The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I was glad that the referee intervened towards the end of the match yesterday. The melee/goalmouth scramble in front of Englands goal included Fellaini and it could have ended in deaths. I'm not saying he's dangerous but Billy Bremner, Norman Hunter and Vinnie Jones had nothing.

• RMweb Gold

Pleasant surprise today in Tesco - having watched the till ring up £30 something or other I was slightly surprise when the 'adjusted' bill came in at £24.  Turns out it is double discount time so 20% off instead of 10% for those of us possessing the right piece of plastic:  I'm told we'll be embarking on a restocking of wine and cider in the next day or four (not that I drink much of it but every little bit helps).  And I do need to restock on WD40 as well.

• Like 15

Pleasant surprise today in Tesco - having watched the till ring up £30 something or other I was slightly surprise when the 'adjusted' bill came in at £24.  Turns out it is double discount time so 20% off instead of 10% for those of us possessing the right piece of plastic:  I'm told we'll be embarking on a restocking of wine and cider in the next day or four (not that I drink much of it but every little bit helps).  And I do need to restock on WD40 as well.

I hope you don't drink that too! :onthequiet:

Edited by shortliner

Just been chatting to one of my team mates in California, just South of LA - it's a lot hotter here than where he is !

Sunny and 58F here going up to 69 with thunderbolts.

The early summer weather on the North American west coast has been particularly delightful. Here we've had one hot day (33°C) since the solstice, with most days around 24°C.

At this time of year, weather "South of LA" (in the coastal cities) is usually what is locally called "June gloom" - a heavy morning marine layer that moderates temperatures dramatically and burns off in the afternoons.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Match umpired..very close game played in the right way.

Strange, it feels worse here at 30 C than it did in Mount Gambier at 42C in January. The humidity was very low there but reasonably high here.

Next match...10:30 am tomorrow. QEGS Wakefield.. coach departs at 9 am.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Evening Peeps 

It's been a CBA day :boredom:  today now it's cooled a bit I spent a haour in the garage playing trains. :heat:

My dumping of one of the many prescription drugs I take has made me feel alot better ankle have 

gone down, itchy skin gone, no tiredness during the day, no headache's and several other personal

things are better, I must book an appointment to tell the doctor I feel better. :ireful:  

As there is yet another absence of The High Priestess of the Awl :tender:  I see the jessies still seem to be

quivering about posting train come on chaps man up you can only die once. :sarcastic:

have a good one Jim Bond  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Speaking to one of my neighbours, who lives next door to the empty house with the foxes in residence in the garden. He was unaware that the foxes had taken up residence and was about to report the 'smelly drains' to the water company, I soon put him right about the cause of the smell. He'd been away for a few days so the foxes had been undisturbed for about a week. They are unlikely to be around for more than a few days as the cubs are nearly fully grown.

• Like 14

Long time no post on here. It has been a busy few weeks or so. ExpoEM, Railex, my 40th and DEMU showcase all ran one after the other and then this weekend just gone helped Natalie with a signalling event down in Didcot, that was a scorcher!

Since I've been doing as little as possible. Although I have managed to get 95% of UPDate 88 laid out in PagePlus, so that is a bonus and ahead of time by a good couple of weeks than what I was thinking. I need it done before the end of July so I don't have anything hanging over me after the Discworld Convention in August, where I'll probably need a months rest afterwards. How Poppy copes with that is going to be interesting though! (picture attached for those who don't know who Poppy is).

Pleasant surprise today in Tesco - having watched the till ring up £30 someth00ng or other I was slightly surprise when the 'adjusted' bill came in at £24.  Turns out it is double discount time so 20% off instead of 10% for those of us possessing the right piece of plastic:  I'm told we'll be embarking on a restocking of wine and cider in the next day or four (not that I drink much of it but every little bit helps).  And I do need to restock on WD40 as well.

Just noticed this today. Other half hadn't informed me of it, so a nice surprise. A shame they don't apply it to fuel!! (I kinda wish Costco would open a fuel place at their Coventry branch..)

I have the surreal situation of Natalie laying on my sofa, reading Early Risers out to me from her phone (she has discovered the wifi on her phone finally...).

post-11572-0-16598000-1530301957_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon land.

I should not be here....  :no:  :no:  :no:

This morning we decided to catch the bus to the station but after 20 minutes we went by car.  Later, found out the bus did not turn up!  Not a good start...

13.30 we boarded the train for March.  At Chester, the train terminated due to a lineside fire this side of Crewe.  The alternative train, half an hour later, to Birmingham via Shrewsbury, also terminated at Chester.  Another option, via Warrington Bank Quay to Crewe, was cancelled as soon as it was announced (signals).  The next train out, stopping at every station along the coast and running late due to overheating, took us as far as Llandudno Jct. where we had bought some light refreshment from the Café and I  put some West Shore miniature railway brochures in the Information display box. Thought I might as well take advantage of the situation!  We picked up the Holyhead train (also stopping at every station and running late)  Picked up a few groceries in Tess Coe's and got home later than it should have taken us to see our little granddaughter's.  :angel:  :angel:

Network Rail website:

The fire service have extinguished the fire on the railway embankment near to Crewe station. However, the fire has damaged numerous signalling and electrical cables. Trains between Crewe and Chester will remain disrupted until repairs have been completed. Network Rail are carrying out repairs and have allowed the line to reopen. Trains will run at a reduced speed whilst repairs are ongoing. 

The problem we had was one of missing all the connections - Crewe, Stafford, and Nuneaton.  No option but to return home and claim a refund on the tickets (in progress).

On the bright side, tomorrow,we join youngest for CARNIVAL TIME!

View from our table while waiting for the Holyhead train.  Quite pleasant.

post-14049-0-63443400-1530304694_thumb.jpg

And our train running late from Birmingham

post-14049-0-95708700-1530304748_thumb.jpg

Edited by southern42
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Not a particularly fun day. MiL mentioned this morning that she was going over to Aditi's sister this evening to sign a health and welfare power of attorney. Aditi and her brother had wanted to be consulted. Aditi asked me to telephone MiL to see if she had talked to Aditi's brother about this. Apparently not. Aditi's sister did not approve of me phoning (only due to Aditi wanting to finish her breakfast!)

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

I just wish we had a costco, our nearest is a round trip of 260 miles...

We are just back from the Ben the Border Collie Appreciation Society, where he got much sympathy for his bandaged paw...

Meanwhile, I flocked around a lot, mostly because realised by 1963 rathad iaraninn maintenance had reduced somewhat. Also some strips of golden wheat were toned down into strips of Reed and bullrush.

On the way back the was some flashing amber lights which turned out to be a tractor towing a two wheeler trailer loaded with 5 huge round bales of straw. The problem was both wheels of the trailer were on the same side. There was a third wheel lying on the grass where the fourth was I have no idea... The driver was on the phone..

Time to sup my hot chocolate, good night...

• Like 17

Evening all,

Another scorcher again here today. It was a great pleasure to go down to the beach late afternoon, and paddle in the water while walking the full length of the beach. There was also a little more breeze down on the beach than in the village. Fraggle Rock was pretty clear on the horizon, but my attempt at a photo didn’t come out to well.

The house next to us has finally been sold after about 2 years more or less empty. I met the purchaser while he was reading his electric meter, which is next to our house. Fortunately, he seems like a decent guy. Pity I can’t say the same for nosey neighbours behind. His latest thing is to run his hosepipe down the hill from his house, then sit and stare while his hose is in use. It always seems like he is staring directly at us, and it is most unpleasant.