The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Great relaxing afternoon at Llanfairfechan, yesterday.

We watched the carnival parade from the vantage point of the bank along the road down to the beach in front of the railway and A55 bridges.

Though half a dozen Arriva Tr**ns Wales dmus passed over the bridge while we waited, unfortunately, none of them coincided with the parade.
The sound under the bridges of Batala Bangor, heading the parade, was especially impressive,,,er,,,L O U D... :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

They looked and sounded much more impressive than the last time I saw them, and it was great to see one of the younger ones taking on a new role as caller, doing a fantastic job on the field.

Anyway, videos speak louder than words so, without much ado,

Ray's videos.

• Like 17

We had 3 or 4 thunderclaps when people dived for cover and then the thunder abated but the precipitation is still rissing down.

The loft conversion opposite has called in the builder as it is probably leaking.

Yesterdays flying ants took about 20-30 minutes before they had all left and the gulls moved on. They seem quite minute food for gulls. In all the time I watched I didn't see any swifts or martins in the airspace where they usually fly.

A smoke spewing train passed through on the down sometime ago, whistling as it passed through the station but the rain was too torrential to see what it was.

• Like 15

A warm day at the office.

A very hot one at mine.  Didn't get to see much cricket although Hampshire won!  Actually I was located in the Mound stand with the Kent supporters.  some Arithmetic:  Heat + alcohol + dehydration + existing medical conditions = big sick.  We had several of those.  Thank goodness for good doctors, a superb first aid team and a brilliant team of stewards.  I got grief at the debrief because I found two running calls - I'm getting a reputation!

The girls start at 3pm.

Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We had 3 or 4 thunderclaps when people dived for cover and then the thunder abated but the precipitation is still rissing down.

The loft conversion opposite has called in the builder as it is probably leaking.

Yesterdays flying ants took about 20-30 minutes before they had all left and the gulls moved on. They seem quite minute food for gulls. In all the time I watched I didn't see any swifts or martins in the airspace where they usually fly.

A smoke spewing train passed through on the down sometime ago, whistling as it passed through the station but the rain was too torrential to see what it was.

This one?

http://uksteam.info/tours/t18/t0701b.htm

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After noon all,

Well the cramps were made and as I wound in the first nuts there were interesting creaking noises as the bow reversed toward .....

Interuption.. remember the day when a mail order or phoned order would for some reason take up to 28 days...not any more, an Amazon delivery ordered yesterday morning, tools for my Dremel officially for modifying / fitting new windows for the motorboat, I wonder what else they may be used for :)

Anyway the bow reversed toward the stern because I was sat in the stern winding my nuts... They were right in the bottom of the boat so it was awkward..

This brought the relevation the boat had twisted during the first move together yesterday. Much shuggling about, revealed the boat had also twisted during construction as well, a modified cramp was assembled to remove as much twist as possible. After more playing with my nuts, the offset was down to zero on one frame and up to 5mm on the other side of the boat.

After some minor trimming up, the nuts were freed off, and the cramps positioned higher up and the nuts crushed up to the washers. This brought the two halves together. There are some small gaps due to the difficulty of cutting the bit of boat in confined space, without cutting the framework it's sitting on...

Next week I start making doublers, first for the old centreboard box sides, I've already fitted the blanking piece inside, 23 inches X 6 inches. Once taped up the bottom, resin will be poured in to make it one solid section.

Ben the Border Collie has just returned from his afternoon walk, seemingly he decided it was too hot, and turned for home early. I agree, which d why planned work on the land rover is not happening...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well, I did stand the A6 boot, and I wonder whether it was actually worth it, as we did not net very much at all, were up at 04.35, and are now totally knackered.

Greetings are offered to the ailing and the celebrating as usual.

Some eyelod inspection now beckons.

Regards to All

Stewart

Afternoon all, and hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons.

A most peculiar day so far. This morning, instead of heading to church, I went to Crathes Castle, which is just up the road from me. The Antiques Roadshow is there today, and I decided to take along my great-grandfather's compass. 

It's both pretty and unusual. Instead of a needle moving about a dial, the whole dial rotates. Half of the dial is black; the other is mother-of-pearl. My great-grandfather bought it sometime in the 1910s before he emigrated to Canada; he brought it back with him when he returned in the 1930s (on the SS Athenia, which gained a subsequent notoriety as the first Allied ship sunk by a U-boat in WW2). 

I queued for several hours before presenting it to Richard Price, the Roadshow's clocks and watches experts. What would he make of it? What would he say about the unusual dial and its mother-of-pearl trimmings? What consideration would he give to its connection to the infamous Athenia?

Here's the compass:

post-9375-0-95043400-1530455939_thumb.jpg

And here's what he said: "Quite pretty. Worth about... £10 - £15."

Rats. No early retirement for me then. 

Gavin

• RMweb Premium

A friend was at the antiques roadshow on Cromer pier recently, he been very cagey about the result,

but has been filmed and will tell us when the show is on. All he will say is its a Chinese vase....

• Like 2

A friend was at the antiques roadshow on Cromer pier recently, he been very cagey about the result,

but has been filmed and will tell us when the show is on. All he will say is its a Chinese vase....

That means his home and contents insurance has just increased.

• RMweb Gold

We didn’t go to Hyde Hall. One of the near neighbours popped over for a chat, some wine was opened and driving postponed somewhat.

I did a bit of adjusting settings in the car. Sat nav required an account and log in. I changed a few of the preferences in various menus.

Definitely a car for the iPad generation.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I tuned in for the evening news and weather earlier to find that it was delayed by the penalty shoot-out. I switched on again as Russia scored the winning penalty, and it was also mentioned that the program would finish at 6 so I held on until then only to find that to fill in they had dug out an old edition of Question of Sport! Obviously they are not going to delay by one second the next edition of 22 overpaid prima donnas kicking a bladder of air around.

Anyway the bow reversed toward the stern because I was sat in the stern winding my nuts... They were right in the bottom of the boat so it was awkward..
. After more playing with my nuts, the offset was down to zero on one frame and up to 5mm on the other side of the boat.

After some minor trimming up, the nuts were freed off, and the cramps positioned higher up and the nuts crushed up to the washers. .

TMI! :jester:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I tuned in for the evening news and weather earlier to find that it was delayed by the penalty shoot-out. I switched on again as Russia scored the winning penalty ...

Could I please ask that discussions of football be kept in the football topic? That way, by not going into the football topic, those of us who have had to record games to watch later can avoid finding out the results of those games before watching the recordings.

(Signed, a Likely Lad)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I tuned in for the evening news and weather earlier to find that it was delayed by the penalty shoot-out. I switched on again as Russia scored the winning penalty, and it was also mentioned that the program would finish at 6 so I held on until then only to find that to fill in they had dug out an old edition of Question of Sport! Obviously they are not going to delay by one second the next edition of 22 overpaid prima donnas kicking a bladder of air around.

TMI! :jester:

Aditi had to leave the room while the penalty shoot out was on. Too much tension for her! I don’t watch enough TV regularly to be upset by schedule changes.
  • Like 2

Could I please ask that discussions of football be kept in the football topic?

I have no interest is sport whatsoever even Rugby - I know heresy for  Welshman, so will happily concur with and support this suggestion :yes: :yes:

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still warm here with no sign of rain at all.

Yesterday's Wrecrail event went well. As mentioned by ChrisF. I was there doing a demonstration using a few products from work.........

The journey down the M1 on Friday wasn't too bad - although negotiating from work across to the M62 was a bit of a drag.

Only 5 c0ckwombles spotted - 4 of them were Audis and one Range Rover in the 50mph section near J25.

Returning up the M6 to friend's 50th and I encountered the smoke drifting off the fire on Winter Hill thinking that it was going to affect the party. About 1 mile from my destination, there was an abrupt end to the smoke and the evening was thoroughly enjoyed.

Mrs NB - who had come directly from home was kind enough to volunteer to drive me home, so my car needed collecting from friend's house today. The opportunity was taken for a triathlon training ride. 20 miles in 1 hour 10 minutes with the last two encountering the haze and smell of the aforementioned fire. 

F! and football has been watched, there may be another bit of football to be viewed with some glueing of plastic bits that run on parallel bits of metal accomplished later.

Have a good week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I have no interest is sport whatsoever even Rugby - I know heresy for  Welshman, so will happily concur with and support this suggestion :yes: :yes:

Cheers,

Dave

At the rate that topics are becoming unmentionable in ER's, we'll soon be reduced to comparing our nose hair length!

First one to reach an inch (25.4mm for the metrically minded) wins.

At the rate that topics are becoming unmentionable in ER's, we'll soon be reduced to comparing our nose hair length!

We could always talk about modelling railways.  Oh wait, that's not allowed on pain of the awl

:) :) :) :)

Had my first can of Old Speckled Hen today. It will definitely be my last, it's not worthy of comparison with that magnificent Cardiff product Brains SA!

Dave

• Like 6

Damn it ! ! ! ! I've just trimmed mine!

John

We were lucky if we got a day trip to St Fagans.

For those of you not in the know St Fagans is a large museum on the outskirts of Cardiff and well worth spending a day at.

https://museum.wales/stfagans/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Fagans_National_Museum_of_History

Admission is free, you only pay to park and that's reasonably priced.

Dave

• Like 1

Today was spent on a trip to Carlisle for two purposes, one to visit the Poppy Wall, that has been on display in the castle for the last month or so, and also to take some of our club sale stock to the Carlisle Club for their members to purchase.  On the way, we stopped at a garden centre, and found some cheeses well reduced so stocked up.  The Poppy Wall was well worth the visit:

post-9029-0-14796400-1530473802_thumb.jpg

post-9029-0-73779300-1530473826_thumb.jpg

Entry to the castle was also free for the duration of the Poppy Wall being there, which is now only for another week.  The only downside was that I found the ups and downs of the castle walls and keep very tiring, and I got quite light headed at times, so needed plenty of rest.  From the castle I went to see the Carlisle modellers at the home of one of their members, due to the fact that their club rooms are out of action.  The rooms are actually on Carlisle Citadel station, but some halfwit thief nicked the lead off the roof above them, so the rooms have been raining in for a long time.  The halfwit carried out his crime while being under video surveillance, and while wearing his company logo'ed clothing!!  Anyway, a decent amount of trade was done, so all were happy.  I then got a major headache, and had forgotten to take my tablets, so went into a Lidl store to buy some, which at least blunted the headache.  The fact that the temperature was around 30C probably didn't help my head.

On the way home, just outside Carlisle, we stopped for fish and chips at a place we had been meaning to try for a while, and weren't disappointed.

All in all, generally a good day despite the tiredness and headache.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We could always talk about modelling railways.  Oh wait, that's not allowed on pain of the awl

Had my first can of Old Speckled Hen today. It will definitely be my last, it's not worthy of comparison with that magnificent Cardiff product Brains SA!

Dave

OSH on draught is a very different brew, but have you tried any of Brains's 'Rev James' family of ales?

I get mine the gold and pale varieites from Aldi of all places.

Aldi also get in Felinfoel  Dragon's Heart on occasion.

Before going any further now, is this topic likely to be banned as, looking objectively, it is encouraging people to consider getting intoxicated?

'Banning' reminds me of an ex Royal naval rating who complained that when he joined the Senior Service, they had  B*m, Rum, 'baccy' and the lash.

He left when the last three on the list were abolished.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, and hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons.

A most peculiar day so far. This morning, instead of heading to church, I went to Crathes Castle, which is just up the road from me. The Antiques Roadshow is there today, and I decided to take along my great-grandfather's compass. 

It's both pretty and unusual. Instead of a needle moving about a dial, the whole dial rotates. Half of the dial is black; the other is mother-of-pearl. My great-grandfather bought it sometime in the 1910s before he emigrated to Canada; he brought it back with him when he returned in the 1930s (on the SS Athenia, which gained a subsequent notoriety as the first Allied ship sunk by a U-boat in WW2). 

I queued for several hours before presenting it to Richard Price, the Roadshow's clocks and watches experts. What would he make of it? What would he say about the unusual dial and its mother-of-pearl trimmings? What consideration would he give to its connection to the infamous Athenia?

Here's the compass:

attachicon.gifIMG_3869.JPG

And here's what he said: "Quite pretty. Worth about... £10 - £15."

Rats. No early retirement for me then. 

Gavin

Sadly,

Items like this need providence,where you have documented proof of the items claim to fame. Had the compass been engraved with something that linked it directly to the Athenia, then the price might have been significantly higher.

Having said that, we took some stuff to a local auction house, whom were very dismissive of the items and told us if we were lucky, we might make a few pounds on eBay.

So to the Bay we went and those few pounds amounted to four figures before the decimal point.

I spent it all on beer!

• Like 10

Dave

Old Speckled Hen has never been the same since Greene King bought out Morlands, and then moved the brewing from Abingdon. The Abingdon version IMHO was a more flavoured and interesting brew than what is now called OSH.

• Like 5

Sadly,

Items like this need providence,where you have documented proof of the items claim to fame. Had the compass been engraved with something that linked it directly to the Athenia, then the price might have been significantly higher.

Having said that, we took some stuff to a local auction house, whom were very dismissive of the items and told us if we were lucky, we might make a few pounds on eBay.

So to the Bay we went and those few pounds amounted to four figures before the decimal point.

I spent it all on beer!

I only wish my dad had given me one of these as a wedding present instead of the Atmos clock.

• Like 9