The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening. Slightly less scorchio today, but warm late afternoon.

Absolutely shattered here after too much exertion this weekend, the kayaking on Sunday needed a lazy day to recover from, instead I got a busy at work day!

• RMweb Gold

Evening. Slightly less scorchio today, but warm late afternoon.

...instead I got a busy at work day!

At least my purchases were not awkward shapes!

We had a nice day at MiLs. Aditi’s cousin and cousin’s daughter were pleasant company. SiL still seemed a bit cross.

Main excitement this afternoon was the sight of some osprey aircrsft noisily passing over MiL’s flat. I looked on the internet to see what it was about. There are some very silly people out there!

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

United Utilities eventually called back and they plan their next attempt to sort our leak on Thursday. By the time they have finished, my leak could have kept half the village supplied for ages. I just wish I had confidence in their ability to find it.

You might suggest to Untidy Utilities that they stop messing about and simply install a new line. (The existing one may be complete carp anyway.) These days they don't even have to dig a trench. They could use a horizontal boring machine and get it done in next to no time.

This is what they done when they installed a new water supply pipe to my neighbours and myself a few years ago. They had to dig a few small holes for access but a mole drill was used to create the hole for the pipe. After they'd finished there was little evidence that they had been there. They must have laid about 50 metres of pipe (to four houses) so that means there must be about the same ammount of scrap copper pipe buried about a metre down.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

We’ve had quite a lot of cloud here today and most of the morning was spent working in the shade. But just after dinner it got quite dark and for a short while looked like it would rain, but it didn’t, although we could really do with some. However, the work in the garden has progressed and I now have only about 1 1/2sq m of grass left and I’ve also replaced a few of the paving slabs in front of the workshop’s decking area.

After tea this evening I had every intention of going swimming tonight, but after spending the morning in the garden, some of the afternoon in the workshop and then baking a carrot cake for Wednesday nights tea, I felt a bit too tired, so reluctantly I decided that staying home was probably the safer option.

Typical of water companies taking there time to fix water leaks, United Utilities seem to be one of the worst AND they’re currently threatening a hosepipe ban if we don’t cut down on our water usage! It’s a bloody good job they’re not sent to fix gas leaks is all I will say on the matter.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning as the weekends exertions caught up on me and I overslept. I examined my purchase, the American wooden bridge last night. It appears to date from the 60's, produced by a company called Campbell who's symbol is a cartoon American railroad engineer wearing a kilt. It has a price label of $26:50. I don't know whether I should build it or leave it as a kit. My friends young son made sure that he didn't forget his hat yesterday, it remained firmly on his head, even if a bit askew. Thats it for now, be back later.

Page 3 of this thread

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=8419&page=3

is another Campbell kit.  I think I have some that I partly did about 50 years ago...

Just realized that he's on RMweb as well   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84679-the-minturn-kings-divide-eastern-rr/page-2

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 2

Good morning one and all

I spent most of yesterday trying to rebuild my strength which the current spell of humidity has sapped.  I need to be on full power by Saturday, for there is an event to attend.   Harry’s advice of “rest lots” still rings in my ears.  Thank heavens there is an electric fan in my bedroom.  Today I am with Poorly Pal and another friend and will see just how well the insulation in the shed where the layout lives copes with the current weather.  I am hot and bothered for another reason, viz the actions of another, but trying to explain it is too much for me at the moment.  An overnight message from the culprit tells me that “it’s a complex situation, online and real world”.  He’s not kidding.

Warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Simon, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

The Greyhound bus company are to abandon all services in the four western Canadian provinces as of the end of October: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/greyhound-cancellations-alberta-manitoba-saskatchewan-british-columbia-1.4739459 . That means that for most places in these provinces, the only transport options will be flying (If there's an airport within reasonable distance) or car. No more "riding the big dog"!

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Another poor nights sleep due to heat, I fear that this will be the last for a few days.

This morning dull overcast, and when returning from the bottom of the Garden with Ben the Border Collie, the mearest hint of dampness from the sky. The bonnet of the Landrover confirmed this mostly dry with just the odd wet spot.

The distances are not as great, but our local bus company that comes nowhere near us is also cutting more services, there were councillors on the radio talking about charging a percentage for the currently free OAP passes.

Water was trickling out of the road in Effin Clown town again, there was a previous repair there, no doubt the hole will have to be dug out again, at least they should find that.

Coming home there were lots of Effin Clowns wandering through the traffic across the A road. I think it's time I returned to the Before NDR  route, for the summer as the traffic jams caused by them and the two sets of pedestrian traffic lights will become their normal summer length of a mile or two.

On the Way in this morning  at the Wroxham road  / NDR roundabout there is a large section of fencing missing with police aware tape on it.. The fencing is supposed to stop pedestrians falling down the 20ft embankment the other side. I suspect someone last night took a flyer at high speed..

Cockwombles first two jogging wombles came out between some mecedes trucks and jogged along the centre line, I'm coming along the clear side of the road. Then a Mercedes van all pastered up with the mercedes garage signs pulled out of the mercedes garage on to my side of the road, because of more mercedes trucks. So he was straight in front of me.I had no where to go, the mercedes van had to pull tight into the lorries with the joggers inside him. I just got through.

the joggers then appeared in my mirrors and jogged in to the Mercedes garage. I suspect words will be said when the van driver returns..

On arriving at work there are an unusually large amount of cars in, my suspicion is some other department has an overload of work.

Time too... Carry on with thie next major system..

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another very warm night although it did get a bit breezy so it was a little bit more comfortable than previously. Today will be another dry warm day but slightly cooler than yesterday.

Up early as the car needs washing badly so I want to get it done while it's still in the shade.

Not sure if I'll see much of the RAF fly past from here as we're a bit too far away although can usually see the larger aircraft (just about). Binoculars and/or telephoto lens may help otherwise it will have to be the TV coverage.

Gemma is flying off to Barcelona with the school today for 4 days so won't be here later but Joe's coming along with Nicki and Abbie after they've finished work so a BBQ is planned.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

Two grandchildren are visiting later this week so I thought I better see how the boat is doing in case they want to go for a cruise. The boat has a slow leak - probably a slack rivet somewhere but I'm buqqered if I can find it. However, I came up with a cunning plan. I installed a float switch in the bilges that automatically turns on the bilge pump.

I hadn't checked the boat for a week or so and I was concerned that the battery might be getting a bit run-down, but when I got there tonight the battery was fine but the bilges were awash. "Shiver me timbers!" I said (actually that's not exactly what I said). It turned out that a wire feeding the pump was broken, insulation and all, AND the pump was totaled. The motor runs but the shaft is so corroded it won't turn the impeller. (Ridiculous! - I've only had it for 19 years.)

Bilges were pumped by hand. I'll try to find a replacement pump tomorrow. I hate working on the boat when it's in the water. It's usually far too hot and some prat always goes screaming past the dock creating enough swell to make me want to puke.

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Gone is the dark grey overcast of yesterday to be replaced by a slightly lighter grey overcast here in the North West Leeds Highlands this morning.

Woken by cramp in my calf today so need to be careful what I do today.

Her indoors is off to be the scorer at a West Riding Veterans match today (Yorkshire have 3 county over 60s cricket teams). So I have a day on my own.

Today is the opening day of the Great Yorkshire Show. Avoid Harrogate at all costs unless you are visiting the show for the next three days.

Enjoy whatever you do today, hope all who ail have a good day too.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hanging upside down in the bilges cleaning /pumping out is never fun, I definately sympathise..

When the school holidays start in a couple of weeks, there will be boats going past my mooring every few seconds during the day, many of them speeding,  the limit being 4mph through the village (Horning).

My motorboat has three bilges, Aft cabin, Centre engine compartment below the cockpit, forward cabin. It's not permitted to pump out your engine compartment into the broads, unless there is either a fixed tray under the engine / gear box capable of taking all the oil from them both or you have a oil separator in the outlet from the bilge pump.

The Shower in the forward area drains straight into the bilge. Hence there is an automatic pump in there. (a Rule 500A )

Now I've converted to Diesel Electric, the generator has it's own tray, so a pump in that compartment, but she no longer needs the separator, that saves a fortune in filters... though it's mostly rainwater that gets in there when we have a horizontal gale blowing rain water under the covers..

The aft Compartment as yet does not have a pump, something I must sort out during the rewire.

On the broads you are never going to totally sink, most of it is only 4 to 5 ft, and my moorings 3ft so she would only drop 6 inches. Actually with the high pressure air we've had over the last few weeks, she may be sitting on the mud, at the moment. (High Air pressure depresses the North sea so the rivers flow out more, lowering the water level).

One advantage of electric power, I can drag her out under battery power, without sucking mud into the generator cooling system. Then start the genny when she's had a little run to wash the mud off the bottom.

My batteries (all 25 of them) have solar panels on the roof, one for the starter battery and 4 large ones for the running batteries. very effective they are too.

https://horning-sailing.club/webcams.php

It's a good job the awl doesn't come into play about sailiing  / motorboating, I'd be in real trouble..

PS, An idea occured, yes that unusual, keel of sailing boat redesigned repositioned, Much happier now

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

You might suggest to Untidy Utilities that they stop messing about and simply install a new line. (The existing one may be complete carp anyway.) These days they don't even have to dig a trench. They could use a horizontal boring machine and get it done in next to no time.

I think that this might happen. We have discussed how they would install a new line. Having dug two large holes with difficulty, they were of the opinion that they would need a trench for about 10 metres across my front lawn and flowerbeds. I informed them that both the gas and electricity lines were ‘moled’ in, so hopefully a new water line could also be done that way.

However, the biggest problem is that the leak may be under the house, which means getting under the floorboards in both the kitchen and living room. I don’t want to do all this unless absolutely necessary, as it means moving furniture and lifting vinyl and carpets to get to the floorboards.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is much cooler today.

We are both expecting parcels today.

I am taking my car to Chelmsford today so the garage can deal with a minor blemish they noted just before its sale to me.

Otherwise not a lot happening. I am not sure of the RAF flypast route and I think Aditi may be somewhat optimistic hoping to see it.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

It is much cooler today.

We are both expecting parcels today.

I am taking my car to Chelmsford today so the garage can deal with a minor blemish they noted just before its sale to me.

Otherwise not a lot happening. I am not sure of the RAF flypast route and I think Aditi may be somewhat optimistic hoping to see it.

Tony

post-15969-0-60458400-1531210903.jpg

Originally they were saying this is the biggest flypast ever

I note on the radio Classic Fm is still saying that it's the biggest in many generations.

Radio Norfolk says it's the biggest in 30 years.. which is somewhat more accurate.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Is she based in Lutonistan?

No, somewhere in Surrey she  :spruceup:  won't say. :no:

Good morning all,

Another very warm night although it did get a bit breezy so it was a little bit more comfortable than previously. Today will be another dry warm day but slightly cooler than yesterday.

Up early as the car needs washing badly so I want to get it done while it's still in the shade.

Not sure if I'll see much of the RAF fly past from here as we're a bit too far away although can usually see the larger aircraft (just about). Binoculars and/or telephoto lens may help otherwise it will have to be the TV coverage.

Gemma is flying off to Barcelona with the school today for 4 days so won't be here later but Joe's coming along with Nicki and Abbie after they've finished work so a BBQ is planned.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Bob if you want aircraft you are welcome to come over here to watch and listen to the feckin noise of jet fighter and pilot with a hard on doing

his loopy loop, the airshow practicing started yesterday it was that loud we had to shut the windows :threaten: PAH.

Morning Peeps

Up early today as Peppa Pig was going at full grunt at 6:30 I sat in the garden with my Shreddies and glass of orange peace was shattered

when SWMBO :girldevil:  appeared an hour later grinning and asked why am I sitting at the bottom of the garden , it turns out I was honking away

at 2 am in here ear 'ole and she went to the spare room. :sarcastichand:

There are some office blocks on the other side of the estate they are knocking down with a swing ball the noise level is not too bad the are taking

them down as the have been empty for about 15 years and building 150+ houses/flat my youngest daughter is looking to buy one when they are

completed she is renting a flat the far side of town and want to be nearer us how sweet. :tender:

I'm waiting for a parcel today I'm now told by Hemeriodies they will deliver tomorrow anyway The layout beckons .  

enjoy your day Undi T'fumm   :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s another slightly overcast day, with a bit of a breeze too, going off the movement of the roses. Today a day like yesterday is planned, the morning spent in the garden and the afternoon in the workshop.

In my location, I won’t see any of the flypast and as neither Sheila or I put the TV on until after we’ve had tea, the only bits I’ll see will be on the news this evening.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I am taking a chance using the trains today to go to the embankment near Waterloo to see the RAF flypast. I was still debating whether to do so this morning as after last nights farce with other half taking two hours to get home. Currently at Redhill station awaiting the Purley to Cliffe empty aggregate train but as there are numerous delays it hasn’t yet departed Purley.

Loads of Rail Enforcement Officers on each platform here. A first for me seeing them but I suppose with things getting so bad they are upping security.

Wish me luck.

Here in the land of the Northern Haggis, I awoke to find that the big blue patch out west, that the lady seaweed twirler spoke to us about yesterday evening, had arrived and deposited upon us - and continues to do so,so today is much cooler (and damper).  Unless one has a reason to be out in it, much more pleasant too! Today would appear to be a good day to do as little as possible

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I will be in Chelmsford at midday so I suppose I could park up in a lay by on the way home and look up,for the aircrsft. I suppose flying along the route of the A12 makes navigation simpler.

Tony

• Like 14