The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

... to the local hardware store, give "man" key, request four additional. Simple,

I don’t think my new lock and the other recent replacements can be copied from an existing key. I have to take the code in that is on the tag that came with the lock. Allegedly proper locksmiths have the equipment. 

• Informative/Useful 13

Evening all, still hobbling, but a fair bit easier now, hopefully no lasting damage done, note to self, do a "reccy" before dashing off in a hurry to take pictures, the undergrowth was at least 3 foot higher than when the Union of South Africa passed by us earlier in the year, you'd think a gardener would have known that …………..eh?

Bit of shopping, SWMBO went with her pal to the afternoon bingo and won a tenner, I think it cost more than that to get in, I did a fair shift in TOSH doing some muddling, one of those days where I was really busy, but you have to look hard to see what I have actually done.

G'night all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
On 02/08/2019 at 22:48, AndyID said:

I would think French, particularly with that smokebox door.

(The gauge looks too narrow for Russia ;) )

15 hours ago, bbishop said:

Polly,

the smokebox door looks French.

Bill

Thanks.  That helps a lot.  Hopefully, I will now find a pic of its real life counterpart.  You never know...

' Night all and not da.

_________

Polly

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve a a good day in the garden today, plenty done, but still lots to do. This morning was spent mostly dead heading the roses and the buddleias, then a spot of weeding, once I’d filled the wheelbarrow, I took it round to the front (where the green bin lives) to empty it. Whilst there I tidied up the front, because whenever we have a lot of rain it seems to generate a sudden spurt of moss in the block paving at the front, so I cleaned that up too. This nicely brought about dinner time. 

After dinner a little bit more weeding and then was completed, I then decamped to the workshop for an hour or so. There I was able to blacken the front bogie of the L class, once that was done, I then rebuilt it and gave it another test run before packing up for the day.

For tonight’s tea I’m afraid I didn’t feel like cooking, so I called our favourite Indian takeaway and ordered a chicken pathia and very nice it was too. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Off soon for an early dinner with our travel/concert going companions, then on to see Santana. Mrs thinks she's up for it but we'll drive separately in case she decides it's too much and we have to leave early.

Hopefully Carlos is up for it. He is getting on a bit.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Evening awl,

A funny thing happening on ER.  I posted my comment about French smokebox doors before Andy's post appeared, yet his is above mine.  Like Andy, I have a shot meniscus, caused by Rugby and cycling and exacerbated by arthritis.   Dealt with by a trim, physiotherapy and exercise (including cycling, but I'm very careful how I step off the bike) and I'm doing everything possible to avoid more invasive surgery.

I've had a couple of sessions in the garage, wiring up the goods loop and listening to a very unusual Sibelius prom.  Tomorrow I'm deaconing the Sung Eucharist for the first time, and with a visiting priest to boot!  

Bill

That's cos I'm eight hours behind you. Either that or there's a mid-Atlantic loop in the optical fiber cable ;)

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

On 02/08/2019 at 18:49, AndyID said:

If it's complaining while cornering or braking it's likely the oil level is low and the pump is sucking air rather than oil (assuming it's not a "dry-sump" system). Perhaps you could take it into Jiffy Lube (or equivalent) and get them to change the oil. It only takes about 15 mins and you don't have to get out of the car. Ask them to put in "high mileage" oil if they have it, and don't waste your money on anything synthetic. Synthetics are a good way of extending the interval between changes with new engines but if you are starting to burn oil it's better to change the oil frequently and get rid of the burnt oil and water that's getting into the sump.

That's exactly what I did. I will need to change the oil more frequently.

The Jiffy Lube told me the serpentine belts will need replacing. I also need to get periodic alignments. There is a design flaw (since new but not considered serious enough for a recall) where bad vertical alignment will wear tyres on the inside (where you don't notice it.)

On 02/08/2019 at 23:06, roundhouse said:

Whilst we were walking between breweries in Salt lake City a few weeks back we noticed what appeared to be a drive Thru car service place (wasn't JiffyLube).

There's another quick service oil change chain in the area called "Oil Can Henry's".  I don't know how widespread they are. They used to give you newspapers to read. I haven't been in there in a while.

The local Jiffy Lube doesn't let you stay in the car. They have a spartan waiting room. It does have a TV and complimentary coffee / water.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, AndyID said:

He said,

"You don't need a knee surgeon Matey. Wot you need is a tree surgeon."

Actually he read me a lot of medico jargon from the MRI report that went right over my head. The bottom line is the menisci are torn. I believe that's usually the result of an injury but I didn't injure my knee. I suppose it's just the result of normal wear and tear. Can't really complain. I've been using it for seventy years.

No good at all take them back under guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, southern42 said:

Thanks.  That helps a lot.  Hopefully, I will now find a pic of its real life counterpart.  You never know...

' Night all and not da.

_________

Polly

I haven't found an exact prototype picture but will have a look for you.   It certainly has a French look about it. Here's one of their large tank engines at Limoges.

150623-L4.jpg.0a4ae5225fd2df24271815493d936f88.jpg

Hopefully it will pulling a train with me on it, later this month.  

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Need to pack, fill car with cricket gear, clothes, railway stuff etc railway stuff for today and next week then off to Streethouse for my Over 50s game.

(Railway stuff being delivered during a wet week next week).

TTFN

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the Charente where, believe it or not it's sunny.

The shed tap got re soldered yesterday morning and all the pipework is now fully watertight.   Whether any brownie points will be awarded for my efforts is a moot point.   Anyway life with the silent t*rd continues,  We just ignore him though our evening meal has been delayed tonight so that he can watch a Leeds United Match on some sort of device.   I have had to remain silent but a large Cognac helped last night.  As they are teetotallers we don't have to share our supplies.      The afternoon passed well, more painting of metal objects and then some inspection of the pool.   I'm safe there he thinks it's too cold at 30 degrees so won't come in.   In the evening I got some more painting done.

Today we are off to the market for a stroll round and a coffee, apart from that some cricket may be listened to.   If the test match is still on when the football match happens I will claim the main digital device.

Regards to all and thoughts of John and Sandy.  I'm loving the reports from Wodney.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Off to play 7 1/4 trains shortly.   Youngest no boom binging today so will probably do some house sitting :)  - she loves doing the big G projects!

Thanks for the photo Jamie.  Love it!

You will, go course, be giving us a minute by minute account of your trip later this month... :)

Best wishes to all

_________

Polly

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, southern42 said:

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Off to play 7 1/4 trains shortly.   Youngest no boom binging today so will probably do some house sitting :)  - she loves doing the big G projects!

Thanks for the photo Jamie.  Love it!

You will, go course, be giving us a minute by minute account of your trip later this month... :)

Best wishes to all

_________

Polly

It's a very French day out, a ride out to a small town, 3 hrs for lunch then back to Limoges.   Our Model railway Group has a block booking and is making it our August meeting.   I'm picking up a mate who lives fairly close to us and we are planning to have a morning trainspotting, then do the trip and then head back home.   Not a bad day.   Limoges has a fabulous station.   I've got a thread running about French trains, which started off as a report of a trip there that we made in 2015, the year we found our current house and decided to move over here.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

How many of those are in Africa and India?

India records about 100 tiger deaths per year.

India is probably better documented and has over 60 species of venomous snake.

Annual deaths from envenomation are around the 50000 mark.

Of all the various types of venomous snake, the 'big four' accredited with the most bites are:

Russell's Viper

Saw Scaled Viper

Krait

Indian Cobra

In Sub Saharan Africa, you are looking at anything up to 30000 deaths annually.

However, the snake with the greatest 'kill ratio' depends on the region

Probably the snakes with the greatest singular impact are:

Puff Adder

Cobra (various versions)

Black Mamba

There are many other dangerous venomous snakes in Africa,  notably the Boomslang and the Gaboon Viper, but the majority of fatal bites can be accredited to those listed above.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 14