The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Krait

One of Frederic Forsyth's excellent short stories involes a Krait, IIRC it's called, 'There's no snakes in Ireland.".  The title alludes to the absence of such creatures allegedly bei g down to one of Father Ted's predecessors.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Morning, been in the greenhouse this morning, I think I have over done the cucumber growing, there's dozens of 'em, tomatoes not quite ripe yet and the sweet corn is sticking out of the roof vents, must be over 7 feet tall!. We have daughter and two grandsons invading later, so I'd better check the locos are running or I will be in trouble.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Late morning all,

Busy yesterday at the old place, concealed cistern issue resolved (I hope) after a lot of bending / swearing / knuckle bruising as I didn't want to lift off the worktop as it also holds two washbasins. Sheds emptied, garage swept, house vacuumed and various tops etc wiped down. A further visit will be required Tuesday as SWMBO has a contact lens check and I can coup de gras. 

Ate out at the local pub last night. Whilst the food was perfectly acceptable, the significant error in teh bill left a bitter aftertaste such that I may not eat there again. When arriving back home, some cowboys were at the top of the scaffolding on the CowboysRUs site, god knows what they were up to but a loud metallic bang came from that area later. The site's security is certainly not a concern of mine and neither is the safety of stupid trespassers who clearly broke through fencing to get there.

Today may be more restful with some staging / shelving to erect, various items to relocate to the resulting storage (includes easy wine access for her ladyhicc) and maybe some leather on willow and/or squealing rubber. Also providing me with some mental stimulation is whether Wodney consumes significant volumes of Wattlers? That may be the reason there are few reported snakebite deaths in the west country, other than those resulting from persons knowingly consuming Snakebite the previous day.

• Like 12
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a good lie in this morning so I'm a late riser. An ex-squaddie friend of mine served in Belize, if a snake was spotted they used to capture and kill a rat and stuff the corpse with Alka-Seltza. The snakes used to swallow the rat and the Alka-Seltza used to react with the snakes stomach acid and the snake would then explode. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Oh, it has just become afternoon. or noon anyway.

I recall passing through a huge (what is the collective noun for snakes?) err, mass of those yellow sea snakes on a ship I was on, doing some deck work for a change.  Thing is I can't recall where it was, but might have been the Malacca Straights or somewhere Indian Ocean, thinking about the ship in question.  As a newbie engineer cadet it scared the living daylights out of me, there must have been thousands of them, and I'm a bit snake-phobic.  Eeeuww.

Odd day here, feeling very lethargic, not sure if it is the somewhat restrictive diet or something else.  I've just had lunch of some things that are a little naughty and see if I perk up.

Off to uncover the garden railway as the flora seems to have had a frenzy and not much track can be seen in some places!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning afternoon everyone

Not so early riser today, but we both enjoyed the lie-in AND breaking bed. Just about to finish muggertea No2 and then I’m off to the workshop for the day, I may be some time. 

Back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.  Oh, it has just become afternoon. or noon anyway.

I recall passing through a huge (what is the collective noun for snakes?) err, mass of those yellow sea snakes on a ship

I think such an apparition is a cluster f*ck.

'Coz the latter is what you'd yell if you fell in the former.

Individually, sea snakes although highly venomous, have a very docile disposition.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a good lie in this morning so I'm a late riser. An ex-squaddie friend of mine served in Belize, if a snake was spotted they used to capture and kill a rat and stuff the corpse with Alka-Seltza. The snakes used to swallow the rat and the Alka-Seltza used to react with the snakes stomach acid and the snake would then explode. 

Wonder if that would work with the local vultures crows and sea gulls?

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 6

Plenty of rattlesnakes in Idaho but not in this part. I think it's a bit cool for them here.

We do have garter snakes that live under the steps up to my shed and come out to warm up in the sun. They help to keep the insect population under control.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

49 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We do have garter snakes that live under the steps up to my shed and come out to warm up in the sun. They help to keep the insect population under control.

We only have garter snakes here. There are no rattlers west of the Fraser Canyon.

Garter snakes can physically bite, but have no venom. However, they apparently have bacteria in their mouths which can infect the wound, so bites should be cleaned and antibiotic applied.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Exciting day yesterday as I visited the 'toy shop' in Alton to collect some long awaited vehicles plus I lashed out on a new book of Ben Brooksbank WR photos and the latest copy of MRJ.   The day was the further enlivened by the arrival of the joining instructions for our next jaunt at sea - seems I'm a right clever beggar as the port of embarkation is only a few miles away from the one I'd originally estimated/expected it to be.  However just to be a tad awkward the port of embarkation now advised has to be reached via  a short sea journey on one of the very few ferry routes around the British coast on which we actually have to pay the normal fare.  And there's some fancy regatta thing on there at the time we are joining the ship so no doubt the workboat will have to find its way amongst all sorts of yachting types and their spectators.  I can readily foresee our port of embarkation undergoing a change when Captain Bob starts thinking about the practicalities of getting us aboard there - time, and a late 'phone message, will tell one way or the other

Incidentally we are bidden to meet outside a particular hostelry/eatery so might it be a good idea to book a table for lunch?  You must be joking - the sharks want a £25 deposit just for booking a flippin' table during the week of their fancy regatta (and the menu isn't up to much anyway).   A 'greasy spoon' type establishment with good ratings on the 'net is fortunately close at hand but I bet even it won't be as good as the one we found at Milford Haven a few years back.

And Rick are you sure your description is accurate?  Showing a Driver a token and not giving it to him to take with him is distinctly dodgy to say the least especially when a published description of the line sates that Corfe Castle to Norden is worked by NSKT - although it is not clear if there is a machine at Norden/Norden Gates to put a token into.  If there isn't a machine at that end then Working by Pilotman would be the best way to do what Rick described with the Pilotman taking possession of the token - which I suspect (hope?) would have might well have been what was actually done.  (Breaking down the discipline of normal token working is actually a reportable irregularity so I'd be worried if that was what they had done, even under a Special Instruction).

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

2 hours ago, pH said:

Garter snakes can physically bite, but have no venom. However, they apparently have bacteria in their mouths which can infect the wound, so bites should be cleaned and antibiotic applied.

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) it was discovered recently that they do produce a neurotoxin but they lack the fangs to deliver it.

I was trying to figure out a way to incorporate "fangs for the memories" but I thought better of it.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 10

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The last leg into Swanage was behind a Battle of Britain light Pacific.

In the absence of any panniers I suppose a Spam Can is the next best thing.

Hark! Is that the thunderous hooves of a charging hippo? I must away PDQ.

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

MiL told me that when she lived in India as a child it was quite common first thing in the morning to find snakes resting on top of the cooking range. Before their servants could light ovens they had to remove the snakes, by chucking a bucket of water over them.  

Tony

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

33 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I was trying to figure out a way to incorporate "fangs for the memories" but I thought better of it.

Apparently, you didn't!

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 7