The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, southern42 said:

...and I do wonder about this on my biscuit tin (Christmas present of shortbread biscuits)...

Any idea what it is?  :scratchhead::dontknow:  :unknw_mini:

The closest I can get to it is Russian: 

I would think French, particularly with that smokebox door.

(The gauge looks too narrow for Russia ;) )

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

This morning’s shopping trip was uneventful, I left home about 9:50 and got back just after 11:00. 

The plans for this afternoon didn’t change and so we had a very relaxing afternoon. I sat at the table with the old laptop and played about with a crocodile clips software and a couple of short circuit protection designs. 

James and Amelia called round for tea just after 4:15, he was a lot earlier than usual and caught me packing up the laptop. She was her usual quite self whilst James was his normal self, bemoaning the state of the country. Although things seem to be looking up as he now has a new girlfriend and they’re both off to York next week.

Once James and Amelia had left for home, we had a quick tidy up and then I opened up a chilled bottle of wine, White for a change and very nice it was too.

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

It's nice to be able to put a grin on Coombe Barton's post.

we had a day touring with elderly cousin.  Looked into a new library, then lunch in a restaurant that was almost too fancy to be edible. Missed banking as the branch we aimed at has turned into a credit union (==building society?).  Couple of other stops then return home.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I am also anxious to get my car examined. I had a semi-urgent oil change a couple of weeks ago. At almost 16 years old, at least some oil is disappearing out the tail pipe (there are no leaks) and quite suddenly after purring along for months, with braking or an abrupt turn I will get low oil pressure indications where historically I never did. When the oil was changed the serpentine belts were identified as needing replacement. They're probably "OK" but the idea of losing the serpentine belt does not appeal. That idea is in my head each time I get in the car. My work schedule has made it awkward to drop the car off. I shall have to make this happen soon, for my peace of mind, if nothing else.

If it's complaining while cornering or braking it's likely the oil level is low and the pump is sucking air rather than oil (assuming it's not a "dry-sump" system). Perhaps you could take it into Jiffy Lube (or equivalent) and get them to change the oil. It only takes about 15 mins and you don't have to get out of the car. Ask them to put in "high mileage" oil if they have it, and don't waste your money on anything synthetic. Synthetics are a good way of extending the interval between changes with new engines but if you are starting to burn oil it's better to change the oil frequently and get rid of the burnt oil and water that's getting into the sump.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

If it's complaining while cornering or braking it's likely the oil level is low and the pump is sucking air rather than oil (assuming it's not a "dry-sump" system). Perhaps you could take it into Jiffy Lube (or equivalent) and get them to change the oil. It only takes about 15 mins and you don't have to get out of the car. Ask them to put in "high mileage" oil if they have it, and don't waste your money on anything synthetic. Synthetics are a good way of extending the interval between changes with new engines but if you are starting to burn oil it's better to change the oil frequently and get rid of the burnt oil and water that's getting into the sump.

Whilst we were walking between breweries in Salt lake City a few weeks back we noticed what appeared to be a drive Thru car service place (wasn't JiffyLube).

Morning from another nice looking day here in Surrey.

Today we are off to the Spa Valley Railway changing at Edenbridge, walkng to Edenbridge Town station (about 20 minutes walk) then to Eridge. Its their diesel weekend and first loco haulage of the day will be Warship D821 that we last had in May on the SVR. There is also an ale bar at Eridge station so we will be back there later in the day.

Should be a good day.

• Like 19

20 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Whilst we were walking between breweries in Salt lake City a few weeks back we noticed what appeared to be a drive Thru car service place

There are lots of them here. I used to service my cars myself but I have to admit it's getting a bit beyond me. One of the places I use is conveniently situated next to this Hippo Spa.

Edited by AndyID
Clarif.. - oh heck!
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

A good nights sleep of 7 hours ish, Ben the Border Collie has been upstairs to summon SWMBO. 

We've been out on patrol,  dry, scattered clouds, not a lot of wind. 

Ben's just gone upstairs again SWMBOs not quick enough enough... 

Clothing bag packed,  other bag,  wash kit,  towels,  anti mozzie stuff,  this tablet,  and anything else I need still to pack. 

A lesser point as I go off to the regatta in a couple of hours,  is I note that by the side of the reservoir at whaley bridge is a small sailing club, looking it up that's Toddbrook SC on Toddbrook reservoir , I'm guessing that's the rest of their season lost.  Even if the unfortunate villagers get back in their homes soon. 

SWMBO is happy,  she met a couple of stars of "Game of Thrones"  in Tesco's car park who were on holiday..   The wolf like dogs.. Particularly "Ghost " an all white one.. 

Time too.. Get packing.. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Warm and overcast here, unsure of what today holds for me my girlfriend is out with her friends she has her weeks maps out for herself, slapped #rse is snoring her brains out still

I was hoping to have the house to myself for a few days so I will have to take down all the shelving and benches in the garage instead.

I'm in need of some caffeine so enjoy your day :superman: L.Oseend.:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Still limping, but managed a bit of muddling, one side of the fiddle yard is almost complete, going to need some more points for the other side, need to have a thunk about the bridge at the door, as it's a double door, a bit more than might be. No plans for tomorrow, but we tend to go out more in the week and stay at home at the weekend to dodge the crowds, anti-social,,,,,me?

G'night all

Here, we dodge the school holidays* - like NOW... :jester:

certainly where we go - by the beach :) - for a cuppa and a read of the mags!

Less frequent means they just take a little longer to get through at the moment.  But, hey, no rush!

*Except West Shore MR where we beg invite them all in....Tickets, please!

and donation...  (Naughty!...)

All the weekend's best to all

_________

Polly

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Blood offering to Sister Drac completed early.

Breakfast eaten. Prescription to collect and order...

Cricket this afternoon could be fun. The ground was flooded during the week....

Hope all our travellers are ok and enjoying their awaydays.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Late up this morning, we must have needed the rest, well that’s my excuse! Breakfast has been consumed and Muggertea No2 is almost gone. There is also a bright  yellow object in the sky, the sky is mixture of blue and white. So I’m going to make the most of the situation and attend to some gardening work, mainly dead heading and weeding. 

Enjoy the sunshine, I will, back later. 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Woke this morning to an email from the Euromillions lottery to say I'd won a prize in last night's draw.

I am now £2.40 richer.

I assure you this will not change my life.

Don't spend it all at once! :jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1