The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

No, Dave wouldn't swoop so low.

He was an air defender not a sh*tshifter mud mover.

It's the other Dave you want Supersonic of this parish. He was a mud mover. T62's were apparently  his favourite in GW1 using the cannon.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Quote from the Additional Information leaflet; "You will be able to see the outcome of the antibody test within 10 to 15 minutes, but please be aware that the antibody test is not 100% accurate. This means that....a positive test does not necessarily mean you have COVID-19 and a negative test does not necessarily mean you have not had Covid-19." [their emboldening]

so strictly i am very unlikely to have had it; the test shows I haven't had it, and the fact that i have not had any symptoms suggests the same

There is a part of me that asks "why do the test anyway?"

• Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There is a part of me that asks "why do the test anyway?"

makes people feel safer??

I left school on my 18th Birthday (although we stopped attending at the end of our exams. We all went to the pub ..teaching staff and all.. then we had to go back later the next term to get our Exam Certificates.. which we did and then ....we went to the pub!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hammerite gate painting has been inspected.

Words were chosen very carefully to encourage the painting detail to improve upon their results.

An improper choice of words may have resulted in more than brushes needing cleaning................

(I still haven't the heart to tell them that I'm going to throw them away....)

Family Zoom via Jay's online quiz tonight (He's the one that's on R2 on a Thursday morning)

Team NB - as in myself and just Junior - were victorious with 44/50. It's getting to be a bit of a habit now as that's now two family and one friends quiz wins in a row. And we've only done 3 of them.

Going for 4/4 on Saturday.

Shed time at the moment, yet it's still bl**dy hot in here with a fan on.

A very minor POETS may be on the cards. Golf may be golfed after work tomorrow, dependent on how the T/storms pass through.

Have a good Friday folks

• Like 19

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Not any more, it seems.  I use "Standard Thinners" in 5L cans (ebay) - Tetrosyl being a better variant IMHO - seems to clean them up just fine.  Sadly, Hammerite isn't a patch on what it used to be when Mr. Finnigan ran the show (when you definitely needed the correct cleaner, or ditch the brush); now that ICI have their sticky paws on it it's blatantly obvious that they've buggered the mix up, as it's nothing like it used to be (as an example, the old cans had a warning to do a second coat on the same day if needed, or wait six weeks before overcoating - any sooner led down a path of doom.  The new cans don't have that warning, and there's no problem overcoating in a day or so).  No doubt some cockwomble in Europe told ICI what can and can't go in the mix.  Maybe now we've banged out of that shambles we can start using what we want again.  Come back, Red Lead - all is forgiven :jester:

... and mothballs which work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It's the other Dave you want Supersonic of this parish. He was a mud mover. T62's were apparently  his favourite in GW1 using the cannon.

Jamie

Note to HH and le Plod: my first two tours were mud moving, first on Hunters based in Singapore '68 - '70 then Phantoms in Germany '70 - '74 so I am well versed in low level techniques for severely inconveniencing those who require chastising. In Singapore in the late 60s we used to carry napalm but it was called 'firegel' because Harold Wilson had told parliament that the RAF did not use napalm. The containers were phenolic plastic 100 gallon tanks and on practice ranges they were filled with whitewash so when a friend of mine had an emergency and jettisoned the tanks to reduce weight when he was over the main road north from Johore......

The mess a Tornado could make with cannon was as nothing compared with four 30mm Adens in the Hunter FGA9. The only problem was that the vibration almost inevitably tripped the inverter circuit breakers (being a 1950s design the generators were DC with inverters for the AC systems), which were almost unreachable behind the right-hand side of the seat unless you were small and skinny. I was a 6ft 4in rugby player so after firing all the guns together I usually had to settle on returning with half the bl**dy electrics not working. Great fun.

Dealing with massed coc*wombles on Brighton beach sounds quite appealing and I know where there is a Hunter......

Dave

Dave   

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dealing with massed coc*wombles on Brighton beach sounds quite appealing and I know where there is a Hunter......

Dave

Dave   

There's a working one in Key West FL.

hunter.jpg.beb69212cc1c5056789e85c474af124d.jpg

It took me awhile to realise what I'd just photographed following F5s and F18s.....

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Goodnight all!

Baz

And can we have proper white gloss paint back? Current water based is.. not white or gloss..

Water based paint isn't proper paint.....

VOCs rule.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There's a working one in Key West FL.

hunter.jpg.beb69212cc1c5056789e85c474af124d.jpg

It took me awhile to realise what I'd just photographed following F5s and F18s.....

The inboard drop tanks are 230 imp. gallons each and the outboards 100 imp. gallons. It's the latter that were used for napalm. The two bulges under the fuselage behind the nose wheel were known as Sabrinas (note for the younger element - Sabrina was a remarkably well-endowed actress) and were where the clips that linked together the belts of cannon shells were collected when firing. The four guns were under the nose but I can't see any muzzles on this example. It looks like a Mk 6 or a Mk 9 with the sawtooth leading edges and four wing hard points but I can't tell whether there is a brake 'chute housing above the tail pipe, which the 9 had but the 6 didn't. The small radome on the nose was a gunsight ranging radar and together with a very good gyro sight made gunnery quite accurate (when it worked).

Dave

• Informative/Useful 17

41 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

In Singapore in the late 60s we used to carry napalm but it was called 'firegel' because Harold Wilson had told parliament that the RAF did not use napalm.

Hilarious. Irrespective of their hue and era, politicians do seem to have many attributes in common.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

Evening,

Trip out for food this morning and moved an outside tap 90 degrees from one side of a corner to the other this afternoon. Total distance about 4ft , SWMBO’s orders. Does  doing  a job that is really pointless earn you double brownies points or is that wishful thinking?

Managed a bit of modelling later on so reasonably  happy even if I’ve only earned single points.

Hope everyone is still coping and Chrisf is back home from the hospital/clinic.

Anyway night All,

Robert

• Like 19

Evening all,

Alas there was no globe valve in the mail. But there was a toothbrush. Currently I’m studying exhaust pipe solutions for the trunk engine, as a drip tray will be overwhelmed. This will probably look like a 5/32 inch pipe going somewhere away from me. My lovely wedgwood clock has stopped working, and it’s got a non standard battery size which I get to find. Yippee.  The clock bit was removed for inspection. My Wilesco machine shop received a dusting, which has improved it appearance. Well I’m off to dinner now.

Douglas

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Hunter is a very elegant aircraft, I’ve a number kits of it do make. Got a couple of decal sheets for less well know operators, Singapore and Rhodesia spring to mind. Sea Hawk was also pleasing to the eye.

Rambling on, it must be bedtime.

Goodnight.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... My lovely wedgwood clock has stopped working, and it’s got a non standard battery size which I get to find ...snip... Douglas

What is the number of the battery?

Try finding an Eveready No. 781 4½ volt battery (Ba-31) in the ex-military TS-352/U multimeter that I have. The thing takes three of them plus one standard "D" cell. BTW, there is little information on the interwebs about them, at least new ones.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well it’s been another scorcher here today, the temperature topped this afternoon was around 29C, although it’s been nice and cool in the cellar, staying at around 16C! The only disappointment of the day is that my 25W temperature controlled soldering iron has now packed up. I’ll look into ordering a replacement as well as a new 50W one too, as that packed up last year. 

DHL delivered my package smack bang in the middle of their estimated time slot of 13:05 - 15:05, it came around 14:05, just after we’d finished our dinner.

This afternoon I redesigned a circuit diagram for use with the photo interrupters that arrived today. I was initially going to make a single board with all the components on, but I think it will be better if the interrupter is on a smaller separate board, with slots so that I can make minor adjustments if necessary. The rest of the components will remain on a larger board which can be sited away from the operating arm. It’s all still at the ‘rough’ drawing stage at the moment, so there will no doubt be a little tinkering to do until I’m happy. I’ll then mock one up using breadboard and flying leads to see if it actually works. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Four pages of ER's since I posted this afternoon, its taken me 2 hours to read and rate all posts. I've parcelled up the wheelbarrow for return to the sender, its quite big but Parcelforce can handle it. I've ordered another wheelbarrow from another company. That company is only five miles away so in the unlikely event of similar problems I'll be able to sort things out a lot easier.

• Like 16