The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

D0CA0B86-45D0-41F9-BFE6-82487623E0AA.jpeg

Is that red truck a Dinky Supertoy Foden? I have, or at least had, two; a blue one with a "gondola" bed and another with a flatbed like yours but no tailboard.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 13

7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Is that red truck a Dinky Supertoy Foden? I have, or at least had, two; a blue one with a "gondola" bed and another with a flatbed like yours but no tailboard.

Your a lucky man. No, it’s an AEC Mammoth that I bought at Hattons many years ago. I think it’s made by Exclusive First Editions, or something like that.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.  

Sunny in places on Fraggle Rock, down north here is fine, out west at work was foggy.

Finally got things under control at work, with no backlog of orders - this has taken some doing and has taken its toll on this Fraggle, wot is frazzled.  Taking a week off after tomorrow.

Ah, graduation ceremonies.....or not in my case, as a company cadet (about to be a junior officer of course by then) I was on a ship earning them a crust about five minutes after sitting my finals!  A good result was  declared and delivered by post, eventually.  Further education later in life didn't have the same feel, and was very low key. 

This ship, as it happens - LPG tanker.

18765571_10210432745268210_356258808368770833_n.jpg.55f922a7caa0f0265f1ffb8e798a426c.jpg

That's a piddly little boat I saw that monstrous containership down at Canvey Island last week on it's first visit to the UK it's #ucking marhoosiff.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Falling over/having a fall more than twice?  I'm doomed!  

GdB: You're not in a care home yet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

My school recollections, from about 60 years ago.

Numbering like US K,1-8,9-13.

K-8 was called Public School, 9-13 was High School or Collegiate. There was also "Separate" School which was (is) Catholic. We didn't know why, but we knew the Catholics weren't allowed in our schools.

You could start Kindergarten the year you turned 5. As my birthday is just before Christmas, I was probably the youngest in my class.  I finished Grade 13 at age 17.

We called our years "Grade 8" rather than "Eighth grade". When my father was in school the high school years were referred to as forms.

There was no ceremony for leaving public school. Teacher read the names of those who'd passed, made remarks about the top few.

In high school there was a ceremony called Commencement in the fall. This was time of giving diplomas and awards. I don't remember a dance, but there were a few house parties.

Grade 12 was graduation. Grade 13 was Honours graduation. 13 was supposed to be like a university preparatory year. The exams at the end were set by the provincial department of education, so called "Departmentals". These were marked anonymously by a central group of teachers during the summer to ensure a level standard based of a set course for each subject.  Some years after that marking was done in the schools, then about 15 years ago Grade 13 was abolished. (That year university entrance was a "double cohort" as 2 years came in at once.)

We didn't really have an end of school. It ended after your last exam and everyone might have a different last exam.

I have a pile of booklets with the departmental exam papers for 20 or 30 years before 1964.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Below is a photo of the arbour and bench, which I used this evening to sit and have a drink after tea.

216893DC-9231-4BBA-9E0A-84B541B21F33.jpeg.7419e2c1ffd61b299286deb12deab5be.jpeg

Very nice, but just think what could have been if it'd been finished in Doncaster Green with a Flying Scotsman Profile in place of the Heart.....:jester:

Just one point - is it screwed down?  It could also make quite a nice Kite, given a windy day.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1