The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

For once, all posts read and rated, and I am pleased to see that most ERs are present and accounted for, and generic greetings are on offer to each and every one.  Woke at six (as usual) to think that it was Monday, then realised it wasn't, but hey ho, the A6 car boot, and then a partial fodder run to Lidl, with the remainder to be done at Aldi tomorrow, were beckoning, so rising at 6.30, and on the field as a buyer was achieved well before 8.00.

Got back around 10.30, to find the heating on - I suspect it was due to the low temperature, as it was set to auto - I have read, and reread the instructions on setting the programmer, and they are actually as clear as mud - or even less so, and the boiler engineer acually advised us to visit YouTube for videos on how to do this, as the Honeywell manual is pretty useless.

Then got a text from Sue, manager at LASAR asking me to change my shift to Mondays after having been told that I was needed on Fridays - well, it's not a problem, except that this week, the fodder run is already scheduled for tomorrow, and I also have an urgent phone call expected on the land line tomorrow morning, but I'll go back to Mondays, and shift the fodder run to Tuesday.

Dinner is now calling - sausage and mash today, and then Lily needs a walk.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I did that too last year when we were somewhere in the North Atlantic. The slow internet access meant some of my clicking was a bit inaccurate. I thought I had been banned. 

.-- . / - .... --- ..- --. .... - / -.-- --- ..- .----. -.. / .... .. - / .- -. / .. -.-. . -... . .-. --. -.-.--

:help: 

:jester:

• Funny 15

45 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Chris, you haven't inadvertently clicked on the "ignore this topic" link, have you? I did that a few months ago.

I haven't, and I've just got straight in again.  Isn't life a puzzle?!

Chris

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, AndyB said:

.-- . / - .... --- ..- --. .... - / -.-- --- ..- .----. -.. / .... .. - / .- -. / .. -.-. . -... . .-. --. -.-.--

Good job I read Morse code - but I'll not translate this, but leave others to do so.

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, AndyB said:

-. --- .-.-.- / .. - / .-- .- ... / .... ..- .-. .-. .. -.-. .- -. . ... .-.-.-

We did pass close to the Titanic wreck site though.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Got back around 10.30, to find the heating on - I suspect it was due to the low temperature, as it was set to auto - I have read, and reread the instructions on setting the programmer, and they are actually as clear as mud - or even less so, and the boiler engineer acually advised us to visit YouTube for videos on how to do this, as the Honeywell manual is pretty useless.

My neighbour has the same boiler and programmer as us. He was having great difficulty using the Honeywell device as he didn’t realise the front flap folds to reveal the other buttons for programming. . At this time of year we have the hot water on auto (three on/off cycles per day) and the heating on “once” so it comes on early morning and turns off late evening but controlled by the thermostat. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My neighbour has the same boiler and programmer as us. He was having great difficulty using the Honeywell device as he didn’t realise the front flap folds to reveal the other buttons for programming. . At this time of year we have the hot water on auto (three on/off cycles per day) and the heating on “once” so it comes on early morning and turns off late evening but controlled by the thermostat. 

I have no timer on the boiler; it's a combination one and generates hot tap water on demand at any time of day or night.

My Honeywell thermostat is set to give 21C when I'm around, dropping to 17C overnight or when I'm at work. It has two useful overrides; if I'm away, I can set it to maintain a nominal minimum temperature for the duration and if I'm on staycation, I can set it so that every day's on, say, the Sunday cycle when I'm mostly at home.

Where I lived previously, there was a timer on the boiler for both central heating (which had to be manually overridden if it started to get a little chilly and the thermostat was clicking in) and hot water. With my current system, this is totally unnecessary!

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Our thermostat is radio transmitting  in the hall way,  where the old wired,  one was,  however it seem to be at the maximum range.  Occasionally it looses contact so I unhook it,  walk it to the boiler,  it re establishes contact,  then I can put it back.  Our house is set to 17C constantly,  but the living room has a multifuel stove,  that keeps it to 22c + 

When we go to bed, the door is left open and the heat goes upstairs. 

I spotted a hiab outside stopped in an odd place.  So I went to see if it were the telephone people,  nope it was two vans of Welshmen looking for a failed electricity supply.  The name of the person reporting was that of the owners of the farm that surrounds us,  so I pointed them to the farm house, about 400yards further on.

While typing this the phone went,  UK power asking if we had power,  since we have and we are third from the end of the line, that pins it down between the neighbours  to the farm at the end.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Lazy day today, done sod all all day. Do I care, no I do not.

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

Maybe it's me being dim with technology again but I do not seem to be able to access this thread from "View New Topics".  Instead I have to go into the forum index, aka the pretty way. Has anyone else experienced this?

Chris

I've been having the same problem but touch wood it hasn't reared its ugly head today. One way I've found to get round it is to go into notifications and I can usually find my last post, I then scroll down to the blue line beneath which are the unread posts. Hopefully as I said there was no problem today so perhaps its been sorted. Q my house has identical tiles and I have about a dozen that I rescued when some of the neighbouring houses belonging to the housing association had their roofs replaced a couple of years ago. 

• Like 11

On 23/09/2020 at 14:55, John Wass said:

I'm waiting for the same to happen here this Friday after two weeks of no hot water.

I can now report that the engineer has been and after some eight hours work, the new boiler is installed and working. I was impressed with this young man as he never stopped running. He left everything cleared up, the remains of the old boiler and the box the new one came in. Well done that man! Thank you.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

I did something last Friday that I have never done before in my life, I made a donation to a local political candidate's election fund! I checked the box for a yard sign (about 18" x 24") as I wanted one anyway. I figured that I would have to call the office to get it; no, it was already in the yard when I got back from church today! Amazing.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Continuing to be lazy this evening, dinner was a 'ping' meal, a Tesco's tandori chicken.

1 hour ago, John Wass said:

I can now report that the engineer has been and after some eight hours work, the new boiler is installed and working. I was impressed with this young man as he never stopped running. He left everything cleared up, the remains of the old boiler and the box the new one came in. Well done that man! Thank you.

The engineer who fitted my new boiler left the old one out for the metal faries, it had gone less than half an hour after he had.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

University Halls of Residence have rooms which are quite "poky" just enough room to have a bed, a desk and chair and communal kitchens and toilets/shower facilities. If I had had to be locked down - it would have been about the same as being locked in a prison cell.. but no food or drinks...

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 4