RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

When my  Dad had a pub in the 50s he always said he could refuse to serve anybody without giving a reason and on a few occasions he did and said afterwards he just didn't like the look of them!  His reasoning was that although it was called a public house it was in fact his house and he was allowed (by law) to decide who entered.

This oldish article from the trade paper The Morning Advertiser seems to back this up but things may have changed recently.

Perhaps Joseph could spell out the current laws/regulations for us?

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2009/10/27/Pub-licensee-s-right-to-reject-custom

Any retail trader has the right to refuse to serve a potential customer without necessarily giving a reason.

However, if it is stated that you must do 'this' for entry but if you are saying you can not come in because you don't have this where he has, then I'd still cite that as discrimination (the haves vs the havenots).

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

So if I've got no money but the other bloke has then he can't refuse to serve me then?  :jester:

Technically, not necessarily (there may be other reasons for not serving you). But as the end of the transaction draws nigh and this fact is revealed, then withdrawal of service is still an option. (Albeit possibly a wasted pint, say!) Can't pay; we'll take it away?

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, BokStein said:

Technically, no. But as the end of the transaction draws nigh and this fact is revealed, then withdrawal of service is still an option. (Albeit possibly a wasted pint!) Can't pay; we'll take it away?

Yes he can because there is no consideration of Contract ie payment. There is an invitation to treat by asking for a pint or whatever drink. Thats the legalese for it 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 45156 said:

There is a trick which I have never yet found to fail - that is to get something (I use the sort of bottle oper thingie on the end of my tin opener) under the rim of the lid, then ease it up to break the seal in the jar until it clicks releasing the vacuum, and then it can be opened easily.

Many thanks; a friend mentioned this trick after the event.......

10 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think you'll find that Boris has cancelled it.

Cancelled Christmas?  Excellent.....

9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Polybear have you thought about getting one of the devices to aid opening jars with poorly paws some are like a silicone rubber cone you put over the lid to aid grip.

I tried a couple of those rubber strap wrench type jobbies; the wrench around the lid started to cause distortion of the lid so that idea soon went out the window :(

T

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Co-incidence time.

Earlier today I was perusing an old 70's 'Bike' magazine in the 'library' (TMI), and in the back pages was an advert for 'Jock Kerr Developments' tuning and parts - this being 'our' Jock's father!  We had many an e mail conversation about that time in his life, and bikes in general, I was able to send him a lot of TT photos of old bikes that he was very grateful for.  I miss him.... :cray_mini:such a nice bloke.

jeez - Jock Kerr Motorcycle Developments of Hertford, not far away from me.  Back in the 1980's I recall mentioning him to the guys at Towcester Tuning Shop (TTS) - who really know their stuff.  Their response isn't repeatable......

2 hours ago, BokStein said:

To me, not being allowed in because your 'phone does not support apps is discrimination.

The pub is shooting themselves in the foot  and losing business if they stop those without the app from entering.  Have an old ten quid fone in your pocket and ask them to load the app on that.....

In other news:

Many thanks for all the responses  to my post regarding Arthur Itis.  I was to call into the docs today to collect the blood test form whilst doing the co-op run, only I forgot.  I did get a stack of my favourite pizzas though (Dr Oetker Mozzerella), at a third off :)

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Yes he can because there is no consideration of Contract ie payment. There is an invitation to treat by asking for a pint or whatever drink. Thats the legalese for it 

So often customers 'phone in and say they've seen this in an advert and want to purchase it. You say OK, it's £x.yz. They come back and say "but your advert says it's £a.bc, you have to sell it to me at £a.bc". Response can be twofold:

1. I don't have to sell it to you at any price

2. The advert is an invitation to treat (and probably several months out of date due to publication lead times) and not a binding contract. The price is £x.yz end of story.

A situation I had at the NEC a few years back: customer comes to counter with 5 packs of a product priced (then) at £25.00. The ticket on each box declared £5.95. I refused the sale and promptly withdrew the product from display. Matey protested that "that's the price it says, you have to sell it to me at that price" I refuse and remind him that it's been withdrawn from sale. No, sir, I don't have to sell it to you at any price, however, as a gesture of goodwill for bringing this to our attention, I will allow you to purchase one pack at the price on the ticket. Less disgruntled customer, less to pack on the homeward van and a few pennies in the till. Correct price labels then attached to product and it put back on sale.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Cancelled Christmas?  Excellent.....

Yeah! Result!

Ordinarily, I would be joining ChrisF on the much mentioned trip to Switzerland. However, having already having had to cancel my Birthday trip to Amsterdam, funds are a tad short. Apart from visiting our beloved Switzerland (and possibly spending a few hours in the excellent company of iL Dottore), our prime objective is to escape the forced festivities over here and to relax and 'play trains' (12":1 foot scale) and distract us from unpleasant memories associated with the time of year. I have already offered to the shop manager, my services to stand in for anyone with family who wants time off during the period and would be happy to be in residence to take customer calls on 25th Dec and 1st Jan.

12 minutes ago, polybear said:

The pub is shooting themselves in the foot  and losing business if they stop those without the app from entering.  Have an old ten quid fone in your pocket and ask them to load the app on that.....

Like your style! Their failure to do so enhances the idea of discrimination!

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mrs Stationmaster often talks about 'moving back home' (same home town as Brian USA although she left it a lot later than he did and has a family history stretching way back on the other side of the Tamar).  But it is a bit on the remote side for all sorts of things and decent property is not exactly cheap.   The same goes for the better coastal areas of Wales, always nice to visit but living there is different from holiday visits although again it depends very much on what your interests are.  . But the more remote coastal areas are ideal if you are happy to stay in one place most of the time and can put up with the summer invading hordes and the winter weather.

One of the worst things you can do is be influenced by what others say about various parts of the country you may be interested in.  What appeals to one may not be suitable for another.  I used to think that it might of been nice to retire back home in the south west, which was based on my experiences there many years ago.  Since then we all know what has happened in that area which gives pause to ponder whether it would have worked out.  Our age is such that it would be most unlikely now (sadly in some ways) but as we live in quite a nice part of the world, its just as well we are happy where we are. 

Perhaps Mrs Stationmaster might be influenced by these remarks.  My mothers family were Jenkins from the St Austell area  which was always on my short list , but in reality, especially in times such as this, it would seem that GH will continue to be our home, rather than the 'back home' mentioned.:)

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

In some ways, retiring to an area you have always wanted to live but have no real contacts in is a difficult one to call; my parents (well, my Dad) always talked about moving away from Paddock Wood to somewhere like Derbyshire where they know no one but like the area. I am glad they didn’t do it; they have been in Paddock Wood for more than 50 years now and gave a network of similarly ageing codgers in the church and round the allotments - and they all look out for each other; and that network would not exist in the same way if they had moved away. I haven’t lived there since the mid 80’s but know/remember most of the people they talk about ( and I guess most of them think of me as the boy who grew his hair and went all goth rather than the middle aged tax accountant that the goth became as the dreams all died...)

still, we love BC enough to have talked about moving there- if I could find the right kind of job and we could be sure of the right kind of support for a child with ASD

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I can’t see us moving from here to another part of the country or even another country. The house isn’t a difficult property to maintain, there are bus routes nearby to both local hospitals and the neighbours  aren’t hostile. The climate is quite pleasant too. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18

Although I love Cornwall, and grew up in Plymouth just over the border, I would not move back there. Climate change with the potential disruption of storms causing havoc has put me off considering it, or moving to any coastal area.. Sandy and I did talk of it, but realised its impracticality.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I retired I seriously thought about moving to Ipswich, far enough away from the Smoke but with good local services and connections, also my sister lives at Kirby Cross not too far away. But in the end I stayed here, largely because of the network of old codgers as mentioned by Lurker.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I looked in this morning, rated the posts and tried to post myself, but it seems that my post has just disappeared into the ether somewhere, as I can’t find it anywhere! 

Anyway, it was pretty much a normal Friday, I walked to the butchers after breakfast, then went to the Trafford Centre after I’d had muggertea No2. The only difference was that I went to Costco the afternoon to get a few supplies in and it seems that panic buying has once again reared it’s head as there wasn’t a single pack of toilet rolls to be seen. Bearing in mind that each pack contains 45 individual rolls, there’s some serious panicking going on. Luckily we don’t need any just yet, the items that I went for (food stuffs) were in plentiful supply, so I came away with everything I went for. Hopefully I won’t need to go again for another 6-8 weeks.

I don’t (as yet thankfully) have arthritis, but for over 30 years I have suffered from (and still do) dupytrens contracture. Over the last 30 odd years or so I’ve had 3 operations on my left hand, each one was successful and I’ve suffered no loss of use of that hand, in fact I’ve probably got better use from it now than before the operations. However, I expect that I’ll need at least 1, possibly 2 on my right hand sooner rather than later as I’m starting to see problems with some of the digits on that hand. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle Cabernet Sauvignon and catching up with some recorded TV. 

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

I saw a friends FB post that his older iphone and software had a message stating that the NHS app wont load on iOS older than 13.5 so even having a smartphone doesnt mean you can install it. I have quite a few friends who dont want a smartphone and I am sceptical on any new govt app till its been used for a while and any issues ironed out or bad points raised. I suspect that the young lass that came to the door had been told to ask customers to use the NHS app and didnt know what to do if they didnt have it even after offering to sign in with pen and paper as per the last itme we wnt in there.

Talking of old home towns, I remember taking my other half to the village that we lived in south of Bristol . Our road was a private one but ungated. I was standing with her on the bridge over the mill stream looking at our old house when the next door neighbour approached and told us it was a private road. I replied saying that I used to live in the house next door but he just grunted and walked off. May be I should have shouted to him about the time the houses flooded:mellow:. When we lived there, the village  had two shops selling model kits, a bakery three pubs a butchers, a small dept store and general store  but that last visit it had just two pubs loads of estate agents, hairdressers and one conveneince store. It still had the Nat West bank but even that has since gone despite the village gorwing a lot since we left in the early 70's. Would I want to return - no thanks.

• Like 19