The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Barry O said:

University Halls of Residence have rooms which are quite "poky" just enough room to have a bed, a desk and chair and communal kitchens and toilets/shower facilities. If I had had to be locked down - it would have been about the same as being locked in a prison cell.. but no food or drinks...

Baz

And in common with prison cells are often shared.  Though in the case of university halls sharing is sometimes a socially-desireable option rather than a requirement.  

No more news here.  Moan-day plods its way steadily through the time-space continuum.  

• Like 18

Our heating system is a gas boiler installed about 3 years ago, and it replaced a 40 year old oil boiler.  I now use the old oil tank for water storage in the summer for the garden.  When we moved into our house in the 1980s, it was a very cold place, so after one winter we had double glazing, cavity wall insulation and loft insulation fitted.  That made a huge improvement, so I was surprised more recently when the double glazing was replaced by the latest hi-tech glass with heat reflecting properties and argon filling in the gap.  That made another huge difference, and then when our leaky slate roof was replaced 2 years ago with a decent tiled roof, that made another significant improvement.  What that meant over the weekend was that one hour on the central heating in the morning would keep the house warm nearly all day, then another hour in the evening to maintain it.  Once it gets colder, the woodburner will be used in the living room from late afternoon onwards.

stiff shoulder from yesterday has thankfully eased a bit, so I am more mobile today, but still a bit stiff.  Various outside tasks have been completed, but I was rained off just after lunch.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

When the lad was at Sheffield Uni (the original one) he was in a shared uni owned flat which was quite well equipped and had a proper kitchen.  Only problem was his flatmates were a bunch of idle gits who used his utensils etc without asking and never bothered to clean either them or the kitchen - fortunately most Britons are forbidden to own firearms because I'm sure he'd have used a gun on those lazy clowns had he had one to hand.  Maybe they all had servants at home?

More likely they were being typical lazy student gits. I know i was; in one houseshare we had a flatmate who could not stand the washing up remaining undone - we soon clocked that and guess who did the lion's share of our washing up!

And they probably did have servants at home; their parents most likely trailed around the house behind them just like AndyB does. And i now do  behind the Lurker boys.  Mrs Lurker follows around doing the bits i miss/ignore, and every now and then she "reminds me" that i need to do better....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Moanday, but mostly non-moaning weekend! :)

First up - the garden shed. Actually delivered around 10:30AM, troops gathered around noon, shed finished around 3:30PM :)

Shed-1.jpg.a3116d97d856a18403aef8f6f4204d3b.jpg

Went together without problems and ALL parts accounted for and fitting correctly!

Definitely knackered even with help from the troops. 

Had an evening with friends after that, Mrs made bangers and mash and we consumed "some" vino!

Sunday we basically took it "easy", aside from heading to the pharmacy as they had the "high dose" flu shots in and we availed ourselves of those.

Both of us had restless nights, we're attributing it to the shots, and no other signs of issues, but REALLY tired this morning.

9 first thing and partly cloudy, only heading for 13 at best apparently :O

Carry on, excuse me while I slump over the keyboard, I'm NOT napping honest.

I feel a case of shed envy coming on. I've yet to fill mine but the old one has still got a lot of stuff in it.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Well the 'wetness(of walls)ometer' showed some fascinating results.  in places where the skirting has been removed teh wall was officially 'dry', i.e. it registered nothing on the meter.  But 9" - 1' highrer up teh wall in laces it was recording just over 40% on some walls and 20+% on others.  We concluded that the sort of wall paint which you can damp wipe also has another property - if the block inside teh wall is wet the paint seals it in as well as readily as stopping wet getting in.  The loss adjuster surveyor is asking for further tests next week before authorising any stripping of paint.   But the overall result is that further progress has been recorded.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

sending me the email.  I do wonder where they got my email address - especially as it bears not the slightest resemblance to my name; interesting question that one?

When the lad was at Sheffield Uni (the original one) he was in a shared uni owned flat which was quite well equipped and had a proper kitchen.  Only problem was his flatmates were a bunch of idle gits who used his utensils etc without asking and never bothered to clean either them or the kitchen - fortunately most Britons are forbidden to own firearms because I'm sure he'd have used a gun on those lazy clowns had he had one to hand.  Maybe they all had servants at home?

Big Brother's watching your every move.....  :jester:

As for idle gits - they're in for a real wake up call when they do start work for real.......

In other news.....

Bear has just tried to do his bit for society and download the track n' trace app, only to be informed that my fone (a freebie iphone jobbie from my mate next door) isn't fancy enough to cope (that's an IT technical term).  Well I did try.  If Bojo would like to send me a new iphone I'll have no objections.

Painting done, wall filling done, din dins scoffed, blood test form collected, shopping done and parcel posted.  Tomato plants watered, garden tidied a bit, Harry Hedgehog's din dins put out, Tea scoffed, Dental Hygienist appointment (postponed from March) arranged for late October.

Bear now stopped....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

In case anyone hasn't already seen this posted on Face Book.

An automated call saying from AMAZON from 01294 604197 asking if I’m ok to renew my amazon prime and will take the money from my account but need to press 1 I ended the call so be aware. it’s a scam

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, students and their residences. First year my daughter was in hall of residence, a tall block. Unloading her luggage and looking up, there were all these plastic shopping bags hanging outside every window, and they were used as supplementary fridges for food. Next year she and her pals organised renting an old Victorian terraced, four girls and a dozy boy to make up the numbers. You wouldn’t believe the state they allowed the sink to get into.

the grand finale was she rang me in a high state of panic at the end of term. “Dad, we’ve just had the electricity bill, it can’t be right!!!” “Well, go and look at the meter, you should see the edge of a disc, what’s it doing?” “It’s going round and round” “what have you got switched on?” “Nothing” “how do you get your hot water?” “Off the central heating, oh, and there’s an immersion heater” “is that on?” “ er, oh,” “well, switch it off and go and look at the meter” “er, oh” it turned out the dozy boy always left the immersion heater switched on.

Edited by Northroader
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Bear has had a friend request from Farcebook.....

Δημητριος Παναγιωτης Κουτσομυτης

Bear can't even read it, let alone 'effin say it.  Are they 'avin a larf, or what?

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

All this talk about boilers and central heating leads me to puzzle about how many British approach using their central heating. From what I understand, and I may be totally wrong, it is very common to turn the central heating off before leaving for work and turn it back on again upon returning home, all in the name of “economy“.

Upon leaving home in the early sixties, my folks had a hot water boiler in the attic with an electric heating element to be switched on.  Not very successful as I remember baths about  only two inches deep.  Subsequent visits revealed a basic hot water system for heating the house but still not much water for baths.  Now we have forty or fifty gallon tanks which should ensure sufficient hot water all round . We were tempted to get a tankless heater but had recently installed  a new fifty gallon tank.

Other attempts at heating was coke fired cooker (forget the brand) that heated water on the side (not enough) and a fireplace that had to be stoked overnight which made the house cosy and warm all day.  All this can now be solved easily although there are still many who have not passed phase one as yet both back home and in this country!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear can't even read it, let alone 'effin say it.  Are they 'avin a larf, or what?

Δημητριος Παναγιωτης Κουτσομυτης  becomes  Dimitrios Panagiotis Koutsomytis

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

In case anyone hasn't already seen this posted on Face Book.

An automated call saying from AMAZON from 01294 604197 asking if I’m ok to renew my amazon prime and will take the money from my account but need to press 1 I ended the call so be aware. it’s a scam

I seem to get that one about twice a day. The one's from "Microsoft" have died down a bit but I've had a couple from "Visa and Mastercard". 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I normally just rely on the thermostat and don't bother with the timer on the heating. since I'm very rarely out for more than a day there's no reason to muck about with times.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I've had a few friend requests from young ladies (ladies in the loosest sense of the word). There must be a gynaecologist somewhere with the same name as me and they get confused.:jester::O

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I normally just rely on the thermostat and don't bother with the timer on the heating. since I'm very rarely out for more than a day there's no reason to muck about with times.

I've had a few friend requests from young ladies (ladies in the loosest sense of the word). There must be a gynaecologist somewhere with the same name as me and they get confused.:jester::O

I get messages from Sooty and Sweep...

And the Clangers.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 17