The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather cool Charente. We actually put some heat on yestrrday evening. Only the paraffin heater but it works quickly and well. A basket of logs was fetched in case of need.  A lot of family phone calls were made as Beth's step mum has sold the family home and various items will have to be collected before the end of December.  Logistics are complicated by Covid. The plan is to take the trailer over to collect things but we can't find clear guidance on whether we need to quarantine or not.  

I did get rwo coats of stain on the new gate frame so may get it hung today.  Apart from that there isn't much on the agenda.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all,

I decided to try out a new spice mix last night for a home-made curry.

Whilst prepping the veg I spotted this critter munching it's way through my brocci. 

20200927_160438.jpg.9c0197965260a973bf967bc979895fed.jpg

I guess that proved it was free of insecticide even if Sainsbury's packaging hadn't made that SO Organically clear.

Ironically I was making a prawn curry....chances are I'd not have noticed if it went into the pan. 

20200927_163603.jpg.25cc8694a12c6947144e335c6bd7b590.jpg

Said caterpillar hailed from a farm in Cambridgeshire, so it was released into the garden.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Me and my big mouth! Hive system has fallen over..thermostat not working so house got very warm..switched system off..gasman cometh Tuesday.

Software + RF = recipe for pain, sooner or later.

Wires?  One in, one out, one to ground.  Works for Bear, as does a nice snuggly fur coat.  Cr@p in summer, though.....

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

You can not decide a strategy for using your central heating without giving consideration to how much heat is being lost by having inadequate insulation, poor windows, etc.

When I moved back to the UK in 2002, I was living in a  small 2-bed house built in 1990 and was amazed to find that I only needed the heating on for two hours each evening to keep it comfortable all day. More modern houses will be even better from a heating viewpoint (although rubbish in many other ways).

• Like 7
  • Agree 8

My Granddaughter and her Boyfriend / Partner never went to Uni, but both had normal Jobs, Sec in an Estate Agents and Junior Clerk in a Court. They have just turned 30, They now have two properties. They own one house outright and rent rooms to Students, have a nice Bungalow, and have just commissioned a £60k Extension to be paid cash, and now have big Jobs. Granddaughter for Lockheed Martin Aero and has to work from home as her work is to sensitive to work in an office, and other half now also works for Lockheed in IT and is a self taught Trouble shooter, both are paid megga bucks. Neither Drink, Smoke or Partied as kids.

A friend of theirs went to Uni and now works in McDonalds, but does have a Degree.:sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

From other reports of boiler replacement, that's only the boiler. I've just had a quick survey and for mine practically the only bit of original plumbing that will be left is the water feed to the loo cistern.

The boiler feeding the remainder of the system is connected by a series of temporary fixes pending the replumbing that's going to happen on Thursday.

And when we can get to them, once I've been able to move some of the stuff back into the kitchen and built the bookshelves, for which the move back to kitchen needs to be done first, all the radiators will be replaced.

However, I'm warm and getting lazy controlling the heating from the phone.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Morning, dull, over cast and cool today, our central heating isn't on though as we don't have any, no mains gas in our village and we don't want an oil tank in the garden like the neighbours. If it's cold I light a fire, funnily enough up here in North East Scotland it's not that cold yet.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I usually just rely on the thermostat to control my heating though the new controls enable me to set different temperatures according to the time of day so that means it can be set to turn the thermostat down overnight but turn it up about an hour before I get up. Polybear, I once had a Baxi back boiler and I agree that they were very good but nowadays parts are no longer available so if it fails as mine did thats it. The failure was in the heat exchanger which had cracked which meant that carbon monoxide was escaping, luckily I had a CM alarm. My new boiler is an evaporation boiler so there's no need for a water tank and living on my own is more suitable. I've noticed that the hot water is a lot hotter than with the old boiler which had replaced the Baxi so gas consumption should be down. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Dull and dreary out with rain forecast soon, urgh no its just started, me dull and dreary too but without the rain.

Mrs NHN safely delivered to her express bus to the Big City for work, lets see what the day brings for me, not a lot I suspect as my mood is a little low, perhaps due to the weather.  A shame after having such a nice day yesterday but I am at mojo level 1 today.  A nice walk would be restorative, but see rain above.  Later maybe.

We have a modern bungalow with a combi boiler, plus a log burner in the lounge which does all of the heating after 5pm or so, as required.  Central heating is on for an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening before the log burner is lit if it is cold, modern insulation levels keep both fuel uses to a low level.  Just as well as gas prices here are stratospheric, hence the wood burning.  The wood is from sustainable managed local forests, plus some wind falls we get from a friend who looks after some properties.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weekend’s sunshine has disappeared and today it's dull and grey, according to the app on my phone the temperature is 3C at the moment, but no rain is forecast. 

There are no definitive plans for today, but I’m sure I’ll find something to do, if only tidying up in the workshop or shed and there is always some dead heading that needs to be done. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all, 

Going for a walk shortly to get some exercise and deliver a birthday present to a friend.  I'm slowly reducing my weight and have lost 7lbs since I started "dieting" 6 weeks ago.  I'm aiming to lose at least another 7lbs.

Have a good one,

Bob. (Soon to be a shadow of his former self!)  :rolleyes:

Go for it Bob, but watch out for Drains. remember you have History.:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Every year, at the start of Term in the Unis in Leeds (we now have 5 of them).. everyone developed a cough, temperature, felt lousy.. could it be we have have had CoVid 19 for years at the start of University term time???

Been to the post office.. officially "Parky" out there but it is bright with fluffy white clouds overhead at the moment.

Baz

PS new medication has lead to a weight loss of 5lbs in a week.. bring it on!  Only another 14lbs to go..ish..

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Ahh, fresher flu, Baz - well known.  All sharing our illnesses we carry and are immune to ourselves!

The rain relented so I walked to the Post Office to tax Mrs NHN's car and pay some bills, then a loop through the outskirts of the village, 4000 paces = 2 miles.  Still feel a bit bleurgh and mojo 1.

Maybe lunch and then a trip out to the pharmacy later, it's too far to walk to though as it is in Royal Ramsey.  I would also like to visit an ex-employee/good friend (not an ex-good friend!) all the way out west in Kirk Michael who has had a hip replacement, awaiting to be told a convenient moment.  He's been out of hozzy a week, texts sound very positive.  He models in N, OO and 0, glutton for punishment.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We have hive heating and find it works ok certainly the app is handy

We even have a couple of lightbulbs i used to love turning them on an off at random when i was at work i once scared the bejeesus outof one of Swmbo friends doing it she thought we had a ghost:shout_mini:

We use nest which controls our heating. The boiler is a combo so hot water on demand.

spreadsheet king who used to work for me was obsessed at building a remote control light switch that could also be voice controlled and from an app on his phone, so much so that he bought a raspberry pi in order to get it to work. He was most put out when I called his landline and told Alexa via his ansaphone to turn his light on - it worked!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

We have a thermostat and two controllers.  The first controller (swmbo) turns it up. The second controller (me) turns it down.   

The light switches work the same way. I figure I get my steps in walking round the house turning lights off after everyone. 

We also have one thermostat and two controllers although ours work the other way round.   I'm more likely to turn it up whilst The Ice Maiden is forever too hot and turns it down and flings every window in the place open even in the depths of winter.  This sometimes leads to hostilities and World War 3.

As far as light switches go if they are two gang or more the Technical Department (me) has to deal with them.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

In the meanwhile Charlie cat has developed the less than helpful skill of carefully relocating the exhaust hose from one drying machine out of their lord and ladyships' cat flap.  

Well, what would you do in his position? Sounds like you've been guilty of an impertinent usurpation of feline purrogative!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Being as I like to be warm I set my CH thermostat at 22 C. At the moment it is showing 25 C. despite it being only 19 C. outside. The reason being that the room is a perfect suntrap due to the patio doors facing due south. The front of the house is the opposite, the temperature in the hallway is only 20 C. and even in a heatwave it remains comfortably cool. 

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

spreadsheet king who used to work for me was obsessed at building a remote control light switch that could also be voice controlled and from an app on his phone, so much so that he bought a raspberry pi in order to get it to work. He was most put out when I called his landline and told Alexa via his ansaphone to turn his light on - it worked!

You weren't tempted to ask for a wake up call at 2 AM then?:jester: The ride of the Valkyries at full volume would be my choice. :diablo_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2