Deesdale Road, (Now owned by Peter BB)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Like the idea of detachable and also transferable? but give it time ... once I can walk properly I will, hopefully, start to run and then ...  meanwhile let's just make it work properly!

Cheers, Peter BB

• RMweb Gold

Thanks George.  

Have also had to remove Deesdale Road's top scenery from the exit to the fuel depot - the shops and bus stop with people - because we have a point problem there too.  Am trying to remake this 'shop top' as a detachable without it smashing the bus stop and the people every time we pack it.  The original was difficult to remove because it was glued down.  The point itself looks like a short third radius 'Y' and seems to have some wear so its replacement may need a wee bit of track management (long word for re-lay some track!).

On the club 4mm layout it looks like the village is the next focus - it will be interesting to see how it goes without Andy's guidance at that end ...

Cheers, Peter BB

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 3-way point ceased to work and could not be rep;aced in the available length. Reluctantly therefore we now have an abandoned section ... likely to be used for track maintenance storage.  Some new point motors and signal lights have been installed.  The timber ends added have made it heavier but far easier to transport (two bolted sections instead of 4 bits) so will be less likely to be damaged in transit.  Stafford looms next month and still some work to do ... those pesky class 66 locos!

PBB 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colin has spoken - we now know when and where to appear with Deesdale Road at Stafford Showground on 29th January 2015 and with Andy P and George T on board at the weekend we have skilled modellers actually playing trains.  In terms of Deesdale Road putting some of the little niggles from a recent test run right.

Looking forward to meeting you rmweb regulars who have increased my interest in modelling - thank you.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by PeterBB

Colin has spoken - we now know when and where to appear with Deesdale Road at Stafford Showground on 29th January 2015 and with Andy P and George T on board at the weekend we have skilled modellers actually playing trains.  

Looking forward to putting faces to you rmweb regulars who have increased my interest in modelling. 

Cheers, Peter

I'm not going until the show OPENS ON SATURDAY 31st Jan and SUNDAY 1st FERUARY

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going until the show OPENS ON SATURDAY 31st Jan and SUNDAY 1st FERUARY

Quite right - when it is warmer and not so much hassle wandering where the screwdriver was or soldering that joint that came apart and tripping over the supply cable etc.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well Deesdale Road is up down in the new/modified clubhouse annex for its service.  Its surprising how storage with extremes of temperature takes its toll.  You also realise how much lighter Deesdale Road would have been if all the 'extensions' had been part of the initial planning because it took two of us to carry it down the stairs.  The modified extension is still work in progress so lighting is just a single temporary glow worm but to be able to put all of DR up in one go is heaven.  Latest service 'update' is to remove the need for fishplates between sections hopefully to avoid pulling track up when trying to piece the sections together.  To fit into the car the supports were made 1" shorter - done some time ago ... but now DR is up I have remembered that the folding legs are still too long .. oh well something else that needs doing before Stafford.

Peter

• Like 1

I managed to pick up a rather nice Vi Train 37 in Distribution livery last night so that will be making an appearance at Stafford.

Peter has done quite a few nice changes to the layout since he bought it from me, including proper buffer lighting and some decent working Platform Lamps.

I'm looking forward to playing on it again at Stafford.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed to pick up a rather nice Vi Train 37 in Distribution livery last night so that will be making an appearance at Stafford.

Peter has done quite a few nice changes to the layout since he bought it from me, including proper buffer lighting and some decent working Platform Lamps.

I'm looking forward to playing on it again at Stafford.

The buffer lighting has gone missing so the old 'hot lights' are still present.  To avoid train damage on contact I have inserted some 'forgotten rusty wheel sets' - remembering what happened on one occasion.

Peter

Evening all, well I've been up the Club this afternoon with Peter to do some bits on DR, and I must say it brought back some fond memories, of even when it was just the original 4ft 6 inches long, and then doubled to 9ft still as a Terminus, (now 17ft and a Through Station) lots of operational interest so really looking forward to Stafford, considering I originally took a booking for Stafford back in 2010 and then had to cancel as I had sold the dam thing, still it'll get there in the end.

I should have some new stock for it as well, as I've ordered a couple of   well three actually Sound Chips today for one of the 37's and the 31, plus a 47.

post-9335-0-91659300-1421697247_thumb.jpg

OR 

post-9335-0-37406600-1421697254_thumb.jpg

and

post-9335-0-89189400-1421697261_thumb.jpg

Plus some wagons for the Enterprise / Speedlink Freight Services.

post-9335-0-17310900-1421697401_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-52019000-1421697429_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-93441300-1421697466_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-75524500-1421697516_thumb.jpg

If your passing by, please say hello, to Peter, George T, (SAT ONLY) and myself.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well guys, had some help from an expert to day - Andy.  

It really is great this new extension ... Deesdale Road 'fits' and it is possible to work on it as a complete unit.  Being some 100 plus years newer than the rest of the building and certainly better than the bit that it replaced it warmed up in no time at all and we had to take our coats off.  It is still 'in the process' so there is no permanent lighting but (and KL2 only wanted 4 sockets!) multiple sockets made it easy to plug a light in where required.

First thing was to cut the legs down on the 'fiddle' yard ends to match the trestles.  Success - a wagon pushed from one end to the other with points changed each time successfully reached the far ends without de-railing. Lets try a locomotive ... oops where is the power source and what are these trailing wires?  We then realised that we now have some point motors and lighting on Deesdale Road, great help from Big John and Matt, but the Mince Pie Weekend got in the way before the wiring was completed.  Hunger and tea then beckoned so we agreed to look at putting that right tomorrow.

Peter

• Like 2

Locos running on Deesdale this evening, but the Platform lighting still appears to be causing a few issues but I'm sure that without the Platform Lights the signals will work fine so would suggest that the Platform Lights are disconnected or put on a separate feed Peter.

It was good to have a play on it again though.

Loved it mate.

• Like 2

Hi Peter, looking forward to seeing you all at Stafford, you had better nail them 'Polly'bulks down, I know someone who's got her eyes on them.

Ray.

Hi Ray, I think its only me that has ONE, and its MINE ALL MINE, hahhaha

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday. Put myself Rest Day unavailable so the days booked off. Do you want me to bring a couple of 20s, although they may be a little on the large side. HaHaHa.

Should have been down your neck of the woods today with the underground stock but, unfortunately it was cancelled at the last minute.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Hi Andy

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday. Put myself Rest Day unavailable so the days booked off. Do you want me to bring a couple of 20s, although they may be a little on the large side. HaHaHa.

Should have been down your neck of the woods today with the underground stock but, unfortunately it was cancelled at the last minute.

Cheers

Marcus

Evening Marcus, I'm working on a SPECIAL for the weekend, that will get some people talking, especially Mr T, (George) and I just hope it works as I've invested some cash into the project. lets just say, it will be different.

I will take a couple of bits along, but unfortunately there's only one Kadee Magnet left on Deesdale as Peter doesn't use them so I will have to Shunt just the one siding with the Speedlink Service.

BTW What's the difference between a Speedlink and an Enterprise, as both seem to be from the 90's and made of a mixed bag of stock for various destinations en route.

Looking forward to meeting up and having a chat, BTW Have you heard from Al lately?

• Like 2

Hi Andy

Looking forward to your special surprise, can't wait.

As for the difference between Speedlink and Enterprise. Well in terms of operation not a lot, just different eras.

Speedlink was basically BR's wagon load service which gradually dwindled to being not exisitant. Then when the freight was split up into the different sectors ready to be sold off, Transrail, LoadHaul, Mainline etc, Transrail introduced there Enterprise service which again catered for wagonload traffic. It was carried on by EWS after they took over Transrail. I believe some of them still exits it's now as I'm sure there's one that still runs into Bescot.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Locos running on Deesdale this evening, but the Platform lighting still appears to be causing a few issues but I'm sure that without the Platform Lights the signals will work fine so would suggest that the Platform Lights are disconnected or put on a separate feed Peter.

It was good to have a play on it again though.

Loved it mate.

Andy,

I think the lights are essential so ...

Found an old 6v transformer that Dad removed from a clock in the 1980s ... it worked, both the signal lights and the station lights came on although the letter were rather bright.  Decided to 'fit it in' ... disaster, one of the main wires disintegrated shouldn't be a problem, just take it off its base and repair ... the screws were rusted in and could not be moved now scrap.  Did not want to use the old H&M so went home for dinner.  Came back with a 4.5v charger delivering a relatively small current.  Split the platform lights from the signal supply - with a smaller loading the signal lights stayed on.  Fixed the 4.5v supply to the platform lights ... pleasing not too bright and stayed on.  Deesdale Road currently working well and will hopefully continue to do so at Stafford.

Stafford weather forecast sounds worse than last year ... 

Peter

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

Andy,

I think the lights are essential so ...

Found an old 6v transformer that Dad removed from a clock in the 1980s ... it worked, both the signal lights and the station lights came on although the letter were rather bright.  Decided to 'fit it in' ... disaster, one of the main wires disintegrated shouldn't be a problem, just take it off its base and repair ... the screws were rusted in and could not be moved now scrap.  Did not want to use the old H&M so went home for dinner.  Came back with a 4.5v charger delivering a relatively small current.  Split the platform lights from the signal supply - with a smaller loading the signal lights stayed on.  Fixed the 4.5v supply to the platform lights ... pleasing not too bright and stayed on.  Deesdale Road currently working well and will hopefully continue to do so at Stafford.

Stafford weather forecast sounds worse than last year ... 

Peter

Oh BUM We don't need that. or was it the year before we came home early, yes it was.

Good news on the lights.