Warren Lane

bugs bunny

So what happened along the way here matt when I spoke to Alan a while ago he said he had ideas on how he was going to do the curves

Then all of a sudden you have done them

He asked me too. Lots Alan needs to do before the next show and running out of time to do it, so i offered a hand. I've done weird shaped boards before so i know what an arse angles other than 90 degrees can be. As long as the big man's happy with the results then it's all good :-)

thats some great work there matt i particularly like the three section solution including the hinges and how it stacks down so nicely. it looks an elegant solution.

Cheers Phil. My garage isn't quite high enough to unfold them without hitting the ceiling.....but that's a minor detail!

Reference the containers in swifty's video's above; i'm not too up-to-speed with different types of 45ft boxes, but are there 2 different heights going on? i thought 45's were all 'high-cube' (9ft6in) boxes? but some of them look different as you watch the trains pass.

• RMweb Premium

Reference the containers in swifty's video's above; i'm not too up-to-speed with different types of 45ft boxes, but are there 2 different heights going on? i thought 45's were all 'high-cube' (9ft6in) boxes? but some of them look different as you watch the trains pass.

with reference to his second video matt. i think we may need to get a few more tank tainers in order to be able to replicate a freightliner version on WL.

btw which make of tank tainer did you say plastic was best on for WL conversion?

Yep. 45; 40 and 20 turn up on the russex even fridgeboxes and tanktainers

with reference to his second video matt. i think we may need to get a few more tank tainers in order to be able to replicate a freightliner version on WL.

btw which make of tank tainer did you say plastic was best on for WL conversion?

Hornby tanks are the 'easy' ones to convert (thicker plastic + top details line up nicely for adding bolts). Tried 1 c-rail tank conversion but seams in the plastic are very much in the wrong place for it to work neatly.

HI All

The Bachmann 45ft container is 8'9" high but its Not 45ft long its 13600mm so thats 44.62ft ish.

Its a model of a Cobra built box but there getting scarce now on the rails, but its a very good model of that type.

Regards Arran

• RMweb Premium

had an interesting if puzzling spot the other day. had travelled down the liskeard to looe branch in cornwall and was walking into the centre of looe. walked past back of texaco garage and saw what looed like a normal shipping container until you looked at it side on. it only looked about 10ft long (wasnt able to measure it)

had an interesting if puzzling spot the other day. had travelled down the liskeard to looe branch in cornwall and was walking into the centre of looe. walked past back of texaco garage and saw what looed like a normal shipping container until you looked at it side on. it only looked about 10ft long (wasnt able to measure it)

These are quite common. They come from two sources; either purpose-built (usually for the offshore oil and gas industry), or cut'n'shut jobs on longer boxes for site huts etc.

These people build some very odd boxes:-

http://www.whdavis.co.uk/index.php/products/containers

Some pictures as promised.

Alan finds a screw driver:

post-9147-0-25054000-1375108146_thumb.jpg

After attaching the curve to the fiddle yard he marvels at the invention  of the hinge:

post-9147-0-52215000-1375108133_thumb.jpg

And here's the secondary end without Alan posing. Bit of track and some black paint and she's ready:

post-9147-0-28019600-1375108142_thumb.jpg

And the shunter end all screwed together with a happy Alan:

post-9147-0-05347500-1375108139_thumb.jpg

As well as building hardware, occasionally some modelling still breaks out. A new high-cube has it's home-brew transfer applied:

post-9147-0-76331600-1375108152_thumb.jpg

Being vaguely Maersk related it was rude not to compare it to it's comercially available companions. It passes inspection nicely and will make a unique addition to the Felixstow - Warren Lane Maersk service.

post-9147-0-86628500-1375108149_thumb.jpg

More new and unique 'boxes' are in the works, pictures as progress allows.

THAT IS ALL

To whet the appetite a little further, these are very much work in progress/experimental.

'UBC Bulk' is a work-in-progress C-rail transfer and will become 1 of Warrenlanes first 30ft boxes (more to follow on them, keep watching folks!)

Nedlloyd is a WL exclusive, it's just had it's big transfer applied here and not in the best light, numbering still to do.

And finally, a big 40ft Freightliner box. This is was the 'Tropical' box I attempted earlier, but then i found Tropical had high-cube 40fters, not standards. It's very experimental, the red on it is a home made transfer rather than paint but it may get touched up with paint, only 1 side done in this shot. Lots to do!

post-9147-0-10101100-1375125641_thumb.jpg

And finally a completed and fully detailed 'CAST' box. The picture speaks for itself really, all transfers were specially made for this and we're very much looking forward to seeing it being rolled out on the first train when the layout is set up again along with the Norfolk-Line box.

In the back ground, you can also see the other side of the freightliner box after it's transfers were applied.

post-9147-0-78776800-1375125636_thumb.jpg

There's been a lot of box work recently, i'll add more pictures when i can.

There's not been many pictures recently of trains running on the layout due to all the extension work, for this we appologise.

I've just had sent over a load of pictures from a couple of 'recent' shows (thanks Phil) that i thought i would share to remind you all what it really looks like.

A good shot of the catenary at the far end of the layout. Soon there will be a hole in that end board!

post-9147-0-61680400-1375127398_thumb.jpg

The giant floating head watches on as a recently arrived box is removed from it's lorry ready to be loaded for it's onward journey by rail. 

post-9147-0-48810800-1375127409_thumb.jpg

A very busy scene. Lots of boxes in the yard, another intermodal service has just arrived into receiving, a pair of Freightliner 86s can be spied through the crane heading back up the mainline while the total-rail-replacement train passes slowly on the down line.

post-9147-0-48759900-1375127421_thumb.jpg

Removing large boxes from pocket wagons is a lot easier than putting them back in!

post-9147-0-89953700-1375127434_thumb.jpg

For those with note-pads on standby, 47258 waits at a red signal on it's way down the mainline.

post-9147-0-84623000-1375127446_thumb.jpg

Well that's either a Freightliner 47 or 57 backing itself onto the pocket wagons in the centre road. This shot nicely illustrates that despite virtually everything being weathered like most layouts are these days, it still manages to be incredibly bright and colourful rather than 50 shades of brown.

post-9147-0-88972900-1375127456_thumb.jpg

A very bright and noisy MPV appears to be heading the wrong way on the down line as it is passed by a class 70 heading back up for it's next turn of duty.

post-9147-0-59879600-1375127461_thumb.jpg

The grabber swoops down to fetch a bright orange 'Hapag Lloyd' 20ft container ready for it's journey back down to Southampton while a 'Fred' waits for it's route out of the yard.

post-9147-0-34732900-1375127466_thumb.jpg

More wrong-line working on the down as a Load Haul 37 heads up with passing service of steel coils. A fresh batch of boxes including a tank-tainer have just arrived in receiving ready to be sorted.

post-9147-0-75837500-1375127470_thumb.jpg

A Fastline shed sets off with the pocket wagons.....there must have been a loco shortage!

post-9147-0-97968300-1375127474_thumb.jpg

More main line action for those with note books out as GBRf's 66702 can get ticked off the list as it passes the steel service.

post-9147-0-94601600-1375127479_thumb.jpg

And finally the yards mechanic gets back just in time for tea break, it's about time he fixed the second crane. Who can spot the lego in this picture?....

post-9147-0-67926900-1375127483_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

There's not been many pictures recently of trains running on the layout due to all the extension work, for this we appologise.

I've just had sent over a load of pictures from a couple of 'recent' shows (thanks Phil) that i thought i would share to remind you all what it really looks like.

And finally the yards mechanic gets back just in time for tea break, it's about time he fixed the second crane. Who can spot the lego in this picture?....

attachicon.gifDSC_0386j.jpg

The wheels on the container transporter?

PhilJ W, we have a winner!

Thanks Ralph, lots more work still to do on them.

As a very early heads up, it's just been confirmed that those of you north of the boarder that want to see the layout but don't fancy travelling all the way down south will now have a chance to at Perth MRC's 2014 show on the 28th - 29th June. Looking forward to that one!

Archived