Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

Well I'm still hoping that Model Rail take up my suggestion for a follow up to the dep. Sentinel. As Chesterton Junction PW yard (in Cambridge) had their Sentinels replaced by 2 purpose-built 03 shunters (delivered as dep.91 & 92), one of these would make a good LE based on the new Bachmann 03 I reckon, a good stablemate for the Sentinel.

Edit: footnote to add that I've seen 91 and 92 depart the PW yard to run up to Cambridge for servicing on the main line, so why not the Sentinel?

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

Did one ever find its way into LMS/Midland/LM region if so think I might be tempted.

The LMS had Sentinels but of a different type. Many saw industrial use, perhaps there will be one available unmarked so that you could add your own decoration?

perhaps there will be one available unmarked so that you could add your own decoration?

The GW one looks pretty unmarked to me, and I'm sure someone will know how to remove the decals on the others - to respray one in blue* - just because they like the colour and really like the idea of one on their layout.

(* red, yellow, or any other colour of choice) to suit industrial use

The Sentinel Photos look absolutely fabulous. An LNER AND a BR version for me for my forthcoming semi-freelance Lowestoft/Yarmouth ###### Wisbech & Upwell Layout.

Why don't we start putting up suggestions for the next Dapol/ModelRail loco so they can hear the will of the people ?

My vote is for a LNER Sentinel Y10, it would go really well with the Y1/Y3 Sentinel and is a fabulous "quirky" loco in its own right.

Cheers from (presently sunny) Tasmania in the South Seas,

Frank Savery

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been trying to justify one of these models and started wondering how they were moved around the country, would one be within the loading gauge for rail haulage on a well wagon? Or were they more likely to be moved by a road haulage contractor, does anyone know of any pictures?

• RMweb Gold

I was not going to bother with one of these but having received my subscriber copy of the latest MR today and seen the pictures of the models I think I might have to go for the Western green version.

Only thing is, why choose the number '13' for it, I hate that number lol.:D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there any further news regarding the Model Rail Sentinel? especially ordering one.

Just picked up the December issue(no150) today.

Mark in OZ

Should be an order form in the next(in the UK) issue. That's how I read the blurb in the last issue.

I think that this is the email address to send a note to about expressing an interest in ordering one.

projectsentinel@bauermedia.co.uk

Bernard

• 1 month later...

BUMP!!

This thread has gone very quiet, just wish to know if there is any further information on price, ordering etc.? Especially for us in the Antipodes!!

cheers, Peter C.

An interesting (well, somewhat interesting) bit of news is that Murphy's Models are doing a limited run of a CIE Sentinel this summer http://www.murphymodels.com/index.html

I believe that this is using the same tooling, but am not 100% sure. It is most probable though.

Yes, we are doing a quantity of Sentinels in CIE livery for Murphy's Models. Sorry that things have gone quiet - it's purely because we've nothing to report. The painted models have gone off to China for them to copy the liveries and we're waiting for some finished samples. Once these arrive we should be able to OK the start of production. I guess delivery will be about 3 months from that point. There won't be any ordering details until we've set up the new Model Rail shop arrangements, hopefully in the next few weeks.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 3

Yes, we are doing a quantity of Sentinels in CIE livery for Murphy's Models. Sorry that things have gone quiet - it's purely because we've nothing to report. The painted models have gone off to China for them to copy the liveries and we're waiting for some finished samples. Once these arrive we should be able to OK the start of production. I guess delivery will be about 3 months from that point. There won't be any ordering details until we've set up the new Model Rail shop arrangements, hopefully in the next few weeks.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks for that Chris! Peter C.

Thanks Chris for keeping us up to date with the Sentinel Shunter. It has been a while since the last news.

I will probably be home from my Holiday in the UK (April18-May22) and will order on line when an email comes thru, unless ordering is open while I am away. Fortunately I will have access to emails & internet.

regards

Mark in OZ

The ADVANCE ORDERING details for the first four Sentinel liveries are in issue 155 which should be with subscribers on 21 March and in the shops a couple of days later. We do not expect to have stocks of models till the early summer. The advance ordering arrangements are with the NEW MODEL RAIL SHOP operation.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 5

Nae! i shall have to pay a visit to WHsmiths reading library and have a look then!

In response to several questions, you WILL be able to order the Sentinel on line - possibly as soon as next week (the on-line system, that is, not the model).

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

In 2012/2013 at Middleton Railway we are likely to get our 1:1 scale back up and running. Work restarts on it when NER 1310 is back into traffic. One number that we have often painted on it is the Departmental 54. Anyone fancy doing a sound chip might have to wait for us to get 54

Chris I presume that you have ideas for future liveries and numbers but as expected will be keeping these under your hat.