Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

The LMS had Sentinels but of a different type. Many saw industrial use, perhaps there will be one available unmarked so that you could add your own decoration?

TheLMS had four to the same basic design as the LNER Y3. Externally it would look the same as the ModelRail version with ventilation grills on the side and front.The gearcases mounted midships under the frame would not be present as the ModelRail version is of a Y-1, but a small compromise. Running numbers were 7160-7163, then 7180-7183 and BR 47180-47183. The LMS specified their own boiler fittings in the interests of standardisation, but not visible on the model.

• Like 1

Yes, we are doing a quantity of Sentinels in CIE livery for Murphy's Models. Sorry that things have gone quiet - it's purely because we've nothing to report. The painted models have gone off to China for them to copy the liveries and we're waiting for some finished samples. Once these arrive we should be able to OK the start of production. I guess delivery will be about 3 months from that point. There won't be any ordering details until we've set up the new Model Rail shop arrangements, hopefully in the next few weeks.

CHRIS LEIGH

Any variation on this model will be most welcome! Please be aware though that the locomotives supplied to Irish Free State were 1' 1 1/2" longer in the frames (and body) than the UK Main Line examples and the wheelbase was set at 8'0" rather than 7'0" used on the LNER/LMSR/GWR examples. The buffers on the Irish locomotives were packed out with spacers around 1930 and this would have increased the overall length a little more. The few Sentinel locomotives of this design supplied new for industrial use in the UK also had various wheelbases of 6' 0", 7' 0" and 8'0". I hope to see more variations of this model, certainly my most eagerly awaited model of all time! Somebody must surely produce a RTR Sentinel railcar soon (please?)

SENTINEL MAN

Any variation on this model will be most welcome! Please be aware though that the locomotives supplied to Irish Free State were 1' 1 1/2" longer in the frames (and body) than the UK Main Line examples and the wheelbase was set at 8'0" rather than 7'0" used on the LNER/LMSR/GWR examples. The buffers on the Irish locomotives were packed out with spacers around 1930 and this would have increased the overall length a little more. The few Sentinel locomotives of this design supplied new for industrial use in the UK also had various wheelbases of 6' 0", 7' 0" and 8'0". I hope to see more variations of this model, certainly my most eagerly awaited model of all time! Somebody must surely produce a RTR Sentinel railcar soon (please?)

SENTINEL MAN

The model commissioned by Murphy's Models is our standard Sentinel but in Irish livery. No tooling changes have been made.

CHRIS LEIGH

I thought I posted this the other day, but can't see it now so I'll repeat the post here.

I'm looking for cabside transfers suitable for B1 and 03 classes, but similar to the Sentinal locos, which carried the words (possibly slightly different for each class) shown in the pic. Does anyone know if they are available please?

Thanks in advance

Stewart

post-2049-0-01521800-1300450250_thumb.jpg

TheLMS had four to the same basic design as the LNER Y3. Externally it would look the same as the ModelRail version with ventilation grills on the side and front.The gearcases mounted midships under the frame would not be present as the ModelRail version is of a Y-1, but a small compromise. Running numbers were 7160-7163, then 7180-7183 and BR 47180-47183. The LMS specified their own boiler fittings in the interests of standardisation, but not visible on the model.

The present four in the first batch are: GWR No. 13, LNER No. 150, Early crest 68184 and late crest departmental No. 57. These were the top four choices on the reader survey which we conducted. There will be others - indeed there is a fifth livery variant among the samples we've received - but we will need to sell the first batches before we make firm decisions about what follows.

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi

You do appear to be able to order online now via the shop.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/

The telephone order line 01209-613984 does not open until 9.30am this morning (21st March 2011)

However beware if you are a susbcriber there appears to be no obvious online facility to add your subscription number or leave delivery message etc. when placing the order and passing through the checkout process.

Baloo

• Like 1

Hi

You do appear to be able to order online now via the shop.

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/

The telephone order line 01209-613984 does not open until 9.30am this morning (21st March 2011)

However beware if you are a susbcriber there appears to be no obvious online facility to add your subscription number or leave delivery message etc. when placing the order and passing through the checkout process.

Baloo

Think the following taken from the web site might answer the above.

MODEL RAIL SUBSCRIBERS

The price shown on this product is the standard price. To obtain your subscriber discount you must enter your subscriber number in the customer message field when placing your order. We will manually verify this and apply the discount when processing your order. The subscription must be current at the time we send the order.

Guys

The good folk of Kernow Model Centre, who apparently are hosting the site/service, admit there was a problem but claim to have now sorted out.

As my order is already in I don't propose to try it out!

What I also find odd is that the usual Sentinel update email has yet to come out (to me at least) from Ben & his gang. Anyone else not had it?

The latest "Model Rail" has also landed on my caves front door mat today and they have kept the Sentinel details remarkably low key.

Baloo

• RMweb Gold

I've just placed my order with those ever helpful folk in Camborne and they were even able to immediately check that I was an MR subscriber - plus they also had my address already on their system of course; all we have to do is wait delivery (item will not be charged untll despatched of course). So impressed - as ever - with Kernow that I am now also expecting 'Lion' to arrive in the post on Wednesday. Excellent choice by the Model Rail teamwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

One small question?

When you order on the (excellent) web site it adds postage.

In the latest Model Rail it says the price includes p&p.

Which is correct, the mag or the website?

Thanks.

The good folk of Kernow Model Centre, who apparently are hosting the site/service,

I've just placed my order with those ever helpful folk in Camborne and they were even able to immediately check that I was an MR subscriber - plus they also had my address already on their system of course; all we have to do is wait delivery (item will not be charged untll despatched of course).

Yes, the website worked for me too, I even remembered my password! Of course for me the sums are all wrong. There's no provision for removing the VAT and replacing the predefined postage with the international rate, but that's the normal drill with web-hosted orders from the UK, and so long as all that is sorted when the order ships and the card is charged, I don't mind.

I'm looking forward to the GWR liveried version.

• RMweb Gold

Dunno about non-subscribers but my price included p&p

If that is the case it's probably just a standard feature of the web software (it doesn't give the subscriber discount either - that is manaully sorted later. I'll assume the postage discrepancy is as well).

• RMweb Gold

If that is the case it's probably just a standard feature of the web software (it doesn't give the subscriber discount either - that is manaully sorted later. I'll assume the postage discrepancy is as well).

Sorry if I didn't make it clear Brian but I ordered over the 'phone using the 'phone number quoted in the mag.

Further to that Taz, the website now has this notice....

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

This item will be sent post free to UK addresses only. Please note that although the website may add a postal charge to your order we will manually remove this when processing the order and we will not charge postage to UK addresses.

• Like 1

I had no trouble ordering the LNER and BR versions. As I am in Australia it worked it all out for me, minus VAT and Postage. It looks like a 'cracking' model and I look forward to the UK summer release.

I am not a subscriber to Model Rail, though I occassionaly buy it when something interestes me, a friend buys it and BRM and RM and I buy Hornby Mag.

So we share. I am quite willing to pay the postage for such an item.

Mark

I had no trouble ordering the BR version. As I am in Australia it worked it all out for me, minus VAT and Postage. It looks like a 'cracking' model and I look forward to the UK summer release.

Mark

Just edited Mark's reply to accurately reflect my experience, easy!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheers, Peter C.

I thought I posted this the other day, but can't see it now so I'll repeat the post here.

I'm looking for cabside transfers suitable for B1 and 03 classes, but similar to the Sentinal locos, which carried the words (possibly slightly different for each class) shown in the pic. Does anyone know if they are available please?

Thanks in advance

Stewart

post-2049-0-01521800-1300450250_thumb.jpg

We had to have them specially made up for the sample model that we sent out to China.

CHRIS LEIGH

Has any thought been given to the reviewing of this model - would the MR team be thinking of publishing a review by an external guest reviewer? Or if it was done in house, could it form the basis of the 'ultimate review', describing the entire reserach and production processes, strengths, and areas of known compromise (of which I'm sure there will be some)? The insight the team have on the Sentinel is unique for a loco!

Has any thought been given to the reviewing of this model - would the MR team be thinking of publishing a review by an external guest reviewer? Or if it was done in house, could it form the basis of the 'ultimate review', describing the entire reserach and production processes, strengths, and areas of known compromise (of which I'm sure there will be some)? The insight the team have on the Sentinel is unique for a loco!

Although we have yet see the production models "in the flesh" it looks to me to be a very accurate representation of the prototype. Model Rail are to be congratulated on making this model available and I feel sure it will be a commercial success. So far as compromises are concerned, they are bound to be necessary but, based on what we have seen so far, there do not seem to be too many. The biggest compromise evident to date is in the case of the GWR version liveried as 13. The photographs of this model show it fitted with the oval "double chimney" , same as the LNER/BR versions. GWR 13 always had a single chimney with a distinctive spark arrester mounted on the roof. This fitment was developed from the pattern used on Sentinel's road steam vehicles and was also fitted to some of the locomotives sold for industrial use. Whilst on chimneys it might be worth mentioning that Sentinel 6515, which was the locomotive scanned for this project, had a cast brass capped oval double chimney fitted from its rebuild in 1927 right through to preservation.

SENTINEL MAN