Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

......I got the impression that they don't yet have all the variants, or the full order and they are despatching locos in strict rotation of customer ordering date,......

Some info I was emailed by Kernow yesterday;

"We have received two of the Sentinels this afternoon (7/7) and have started processing orders.

We only have a limited stock of MR-001 and are sending them out in order of when orders were placed."

Im awaiting the GWR version.

Thanks.

Garry

• RMweb Gold
I'd have thought he could have popped down there to collect it for himself on one of his tours of inspection

They're keeping me far too busy at the other end of the patch these days. However, a recent visit to the far west did not provide an opportunity to stop at Camborne, so I was very pleased indeed to pick my GW version up from Taz this afternoon (thanks again, Brian!).

It is truely superb in appearance and running. I've had it running dead slow and it will happily take over 5 mins to cover just one yard of track. The running is every bit as good as the sample loco that Chris Nevard brought to Railex recently, and which he kindly allowed me to try on Engine Wood.

There is room for P4 conversions, and I was thinking of tackling that over the weekend using some Lowmac wheels I've got. Unfortunately the Lowmac wheels are 11mm diameter, and the loco wheels are clearly 10mm, so I'm not prepared to add an extra 1mm to wheel diameter. I'll sort out the turning down of either the Dapol wheels to P4 profile, or turn the Lowmac wheels down to 10mm.

I think someone said that the number plate ('13') comes off the GW version, having had a gentle prod with a finger nail, I think this is right, but I would appreciate some confirmation from anyone who has actually done it. The green is quite dark, satisfyingly so, because I shall be running mine as an industrial example.

Good times! No wonder the boys were happy for me to get the paint, powder and get the blades out onto '001'. There's huge scope to mess abut customizing these delightful locos for various industrial freelance variations. The HUGE plus is that they run above and beyond any RTR 4WD / 0-4-0 to date. THANKYOU Dapol for pushing the boundaries! :yahoo:(sorry, I've been wanting to use this 'emoticon' but not had the opportunity to date).

• RMweb Gold

see a few layouts at shows where people actually shunt that slow regularly :boredom:

Good point Michael, in fact shunting is normally done much faster than that, need to get the job done and back to the messroom to finish the game of cards, have another brew, book off etc. etc. ;)

However, what's important IMO is smooth running, rather than just slow running, and the slow and consistent crawl of this mechanism shows that it has very good controllability.

One thing I've noticed is that I need to find out how to get the top off, as there are some electrical resistor-type gubbins (that's a technical term, by the way) visible inside through one of the glazed parts of the body. Should be easy enough to disguise.

Good point Michael, in fact shunting is normally done much faster than that, need to get the job done and back to the messroom to finish the game of cards, have another brew, book off etc. etc. ;)

However, what's important IMO is smooth running, rather than just slow running, and the slow and consistent crawl of this mechanism shows that it has very good controllability.

One thing I've noticed is that I need to find out how to get the top off, as there are some electrical resistor-type gubbins (that's a technical term, by the way) visible inside through one of the glazed parts of the body. Should be easy enough to disguise.

to get in side squese the ends then the body pull off

Here's No.1 tweaked a bit, you'll have to wait for the printed page to find out more - cute isn't it? The woman posing in front of the loco is Ivan Locksmith's 18psi blow up wife rubber wife. Shortly after this snap was take the coupling hook punctured her and she flew off into the canal behind the photographer :lol:

post-6681-0-28779100-1310220888_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's No.1 tweaked a bit, you'll have to wait for the printed page to find out more - cute isn't it? The woman posing in front of the loco is Ivan Locksmith's blow up wife rubber wife. :lol:

post-6681-0-28779100-1310220888_thumb.jpg

Dressed as a WPC?dry.gif

If any one is wanting to make the No13 in to No12 then 247 Developments have the No12 etch plates in stock as i pick up a set a week or so ago

post-6686-0-74653500-1310223875_thumb.jpg

the old plates came off with a finger nail

once the glue has dryed its back in the box :cry:

I placed an order for an early BR one, but I'm damned if I can find the email now.

Hope it was received OK! :fool_mini:

I'm slightly worried, too, as I know I definitely placed an order online but I can't now find any trace of ever receiving an emailed acknowledgement. I hope the order didn't got lost in the system somewhere.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I'm slightly worried, too, as I know I definitely placed an order online but I can't now find any trace of ever receiving an emailed acknowledgement. I hope the order didn't got lost in the system somewhere.

Mark

It might depend when you ordered it.

If I remember correctly Model Rail handled Mail order themselves initially. This has now gone over to Kernow.

Any previous orders were passed to Kernow to expedite when stock arrives. I have ordered on both sides, I ordered some coaches via Model Rail and never got an email to acknowledge. I ordered a sentinel via kernow and did.

So it could well be you ordered via Model rail and did not get an email and it has been passed to Kernow to complete.

Might be worth checking with Kernow if they have your order on file.

It might depend when you ordered it.

If I remember correctly Model Rail handled Mail order themselves initially. This has now gone over to Kernow.

Any previous orders were passed to Kernow to expedite when stock arrives. I have ordered on both sides, I ordered some coaches via Model Rail and never got an email to acknowledge. I ordered a sentinel via kernow and did.

So it could well be you ordered via Model rail and did not get an email and it has been passed to Kernow to complete.

Might be worth checking with Kernow if they have your order on file.

Actually, it's OK. I've just been to the website and discovered it's got an "order history" page for registered users, and my Sentinel is showing as an "active" order. So all I need to do is wait...

Mark

However, what's important IMO is smooth running, rather than just slow running, and the slow and consistent crawl of this mechanism shows that it has very good controllability..

of course, one of the best slow runners Ive seen rtr, which for me is the bug ber getting things to run so smooth and slow.

but that doesnt mean drive it that slow all the time :)

at least itll start off realistic and speed up smoothly with no stalling.

as I say, id like to see the inside to see how they managed it

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Chris. Nothing was included with mine, I was curious to know if it was an omission.

Tony

The HM review also mentions that there's holes for vacuum pipes but nothing supplied to put in them, so you're not alone.