Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

Although we have yet see the production models "in the flesh" it looks to me to be a very accurate representation of the prototype. Model Rail are to be congratulated on making this model available and I feel sure it will be a commercial success. So far as compromises are concerned, they are bound to be necessary but, based on what we have seen so far, there do not seem to be too many. The biggest compromise evident to date is in the case of the GWR version liveried as 13. The photographs of this model show it fitted with the oval "double chimney" , same as the LNER/BR versions. GWR 13 always had a single chimney with a distinctive spark arrester mounted on the roof. This fitment was developed from the pattern used on Sentinel's road steam vehicles and was also fitted to some of the locomotives sold for industrial use. Whilst on chimneys it might be worth mentioning that Sentinel 6515, which was the locomotive scanned for this project, had a cast brass capped oval double chimney fitted from its rebuild in 1927 right through to preservation.

SENTINEL MAN

The plan was, initially, to do just the LNER-type Sentinels but the GWR one was added due to popular demand when we asked about which liveries people wanted. However, the spark arrester is a one-off and we can't tool up individual details for just one model. Also, we were unable to find any photographs which showed any GWR markings or logo, so we've done it plain green without lettering. Modellers who want a 'shirt-button' or GWR lettering can easily apply a decal.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 3 weeks later...

George Dent kindly turned one upside down for me at Warley when I asked the same question. Axle diameter looks approx 2-3mm, and initial thoughts were that there probably was enough space for an EM conversion.

When I examined one at ModelRail Live (courtesy of the editor) I came to the same conclusion, it may be possible to simply slide the wheels out on their axles.

• RMweb Gold

Now, i dont know if im just not thinking straight, but i always thought the GWR sentinel was number 12, not 13...

Both - they had, for a short while. two but there were differences between them. And think what might have happened if the trials on branchline use had led to a mass order instead of yet more pannier tanks etcwink.gif (there you go - GWR BLT operated entirely by Sentinels)

• 3 weeks later...

Do the MR team have any information as to axle diameter and if there's width between the axleboxes to allow conversion to EM/P4

Cheers

Alastair

Likewise, do the MR team have any photos "under the bonnet"? I read somewhere there is a 5-pole motor and flywheel, and drive to both axles. I suspect that there are at least a few modellers out there who would like to see how this all looks.

Many Thanks, Graham.

Likewise, do the MR team have any photos "under the bonnet"? I read somewhere there is a 5-pole motor and flywheel, and drive to both axles. I suspect that there are at least a few modellers out there who would like to see how this all looks.

Many Thanks, Graham.

The CAD images showed the mechanical arrangement - they should be on the original link, I think.

CHRIS LEIGH

The CAD images showed the mechanical arrangement - they should be on the original link, I think.

CHRIS LEIGH

Many thanks for that, but to help my naivety can you tell me where the original link is? (Hope I'll get the hang of all this before too long!)

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

There are some images on page 5 of this thread Graham, but I don't think that these are the ones you are looking for.

There are some images on page 5 of this thread Graham, but I don't think that these are the ones you are looking for.

Many thanks, Kris - I found the images but, as you say, they're not quite what I'm looking for. I really want to see the orientation of the motor & flywheel, gears etc and the space around them. I would want to add some extra bits to support my own home-grown motor feedback wizardry.

Many thanks, Kris - I found the images but, as you say, they're not quite what I'm looking for. I really want to see the orientation of the motor & flywheel, gears etc and the space around them. I would want to add some extra bits to support my own home-grown motor feedback wizardry.

I'll see if we've still got one with a full mechanism (a lot of the painted samples are unmotored) and if it's Ok to post a picture. I can't remember precisely enough to describe it, and I don't have either a copy of the magazine or a model here to check. However, I can tell you that there is very little space left inside for any extras. A DCC decoder will have to be of the direct-plug-in type (no wires)and there's room for that in the cab but nothing else. The motor lies horizontal inside the tank/bunker but the mechanism extends into the cab and is largely hidden by the cab doors.

CHRIS LEIGH

Many Thanks, Graham.

It may take a while, but we'll get a photo taken, and I'll post it on here. The samples we've had have all been good little runners but I guess - on a non-commercial basis - things can always be improved. I'm sure you realise that if you interfere with the drive or the electrics, you'll invalidate the warranty.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...

I've now had the chance to take the body off a sample. Unfortunately it isn't complete enough to be worth a photo. However, the steel chassis block and motor form a rectangular box shape which is about half an inch high and completely fills the bunker area and the lower half of the cab. It completely encases the drive system and gears. A pcb and decoder socket will be mounted on top of this in the top half of the cab. In short, the upper part of the cab is the only area where there might be space for any extra electronics and then only if you're not fitting a decoder.

CHRIS LEIGH

I've now had the chance to take the body off a sample. Unfortunately it isn't complete enough to be worth a photo. However, the steel chassis block and motor form a rectangular box shape which is about half an inch high and completely fills the bunker area and the lower half of the cab. It completely encases the drive system and gears. A pcb and decoder socket will be mounted on top of this in the top half of the cab. In short, the upper part of the cab is the only area where there might be space for any extra electronics and then only if you're not fitting a decoder.

CHRIS LEIGH

Many thanks, Chris, for that. It would be nice to see a photo of the final production version when that becomes available. I take it that the motor's axis is fore-and-aft, with a flywheel, and a worm drive to an intermediate spur which drives both wheel axles? - Graham.

Many thanks, Chris, for that. It would be nice to see a photo of the final production version when that becomes available. I take it that the motor's axis is fore-and-aft, with a flywheel, and a worm drive to an intermediate spur which drives both wheel axles? - Graham.

It is such an enclosed block that it's really quite difficult to tell. I've had another look and that appears to be correct. The metal block completely fills the lower half of the body and I believe it is a steel block for maximum weight, so its going to be next impossible to remove metal from it, should you wish to.

CHRIS LEIGH

SENTINEL AT RAILEX

The proprietors of Combwich and Engine Wood are pleased to announce that it is planned to operate a service between their two layouts at Railex at Stoke Mandeville, May 28/9. Following successful negotiations with the manufacturer, a Model Rail Sentinel demonstrator is expected to operate this service. This is a rare opportunity for those who would like to see the Sentinel in operation.

At the time of writing we understand that the models are in production and we hope to have delivery in August.

CHRIS LEIGH

And here we have a 3min40 sec video shot this evening of the cute little loco shunting on Combwich

Any juddery movement here will simply be the You Tube compression which tends to drop frames here and there - not the loco performance which is exemplary!

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

Well Chris, you've definitely sold me on the wee Sentinel on the strength of that. The speed range looks exactly right for a yard shunter and it appears to have a fine range of control too.

Dave.

My wife wife keep wondering where I'd gone to, but with Combwich being set up in the spare room and the chance to play trains a bit of a no-brainer.

This was a really good chance to put the loco through its paces on handbuilt track, and I must say I'm really impressed with the smooth running and slow speed control. The mechanism makes a lovely hum, as we now expect from any flywheeled modern bogie powered ready to run item. Pick up is excellent too, in the 30 minutes shunting about earlier, it didn't need a single prod. I'm looking forward to spending a little time with one of these under the weathering brush to see how the crisp detail responds - I'll be hung drawn and quartered if I attack this one, so will have to wait until August.

Hi Chris,

just checked out the youtube video and looks good. I ended up ordering 2, a BR and LNER version. I have just returned to Australia from 28 days in UK and have plenty of photos and footage of large and small trains. I went to Bristol Model Rail ex where a kit built one was running and the hand (of god) came out to push it along when it got stuck on the point frog. This doesnt seem to be the case with this MR-Dapol version, good weight to by the sounds of it.

Look forward to receiving them in August hopefully.

Mark in OZ