Model Rail Sentinel

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

According to Britains Model Trains 2011 the Sentinel is priced at £69.95, if true that is really good value for a new loco from the ground up and for one that probably would never have been made by the 'big 2'

Mark, that is a completely out of order comment, frankly. I responded to a comment made about the wheel arrangement and the price. I didn't flame anyone, nor attack MR or Dapol, I simply made a guess and stated that:

For what looks to be an extremely well detailed, extremely accurate, and well running model - yes, I'd pay £80 for an 0-4-0T. I don't think the wheel arrangement is that relevant to its price, if I'm honest.

Have you actually read the thread, or were you jumping on the bandwagon?

I wasn't aware a price had been shown in Britain's Model Trains. I haven't really been closely involved in this project but we were hoping to get in around the £75 mark. Bear in mind that the VAT change in January is likely to affect the final price.

The model will be available through the MR shop - that is by mail order, telephone or online and I'll post the details on here once we're ready to do so.

We still have a way to go. The test model has run for 4 days so far but will need to run for 12-15 days before we can sign off the mechanism. The decoration has to be sorted out and we are providing hand-finished samples for Dapol to copy. We plan to have these samples on show at Warley unless they have to be sent off urgently before then.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't aware a price had been shown in Britain's Model Trains. I haven't really been closely involved in this project but we were hoping to get in around the £75 mark. Bear in mind that the VAT change in January is likely to affect the final price.

The model will be available through the MR shop - that is by mail order, telephone or online and I'll post the details on here once we're ready to do so.

We still have a way to go. The test model has run for 4 days so far but will need to run for 12-15 days before we can sign off the mechanism. The decoration has to be sorted out and we are providing hand-finished samples for Dapol to copy. We plan to have these samples on show at Warley unless they have to be sent off urgently before then.

CHRIS LEIGH

I definitely prefer good old plain offerings (tea is my favourite) to all these modern frothing concoctions. Thank you Chris and very pleasing to hear about a good hard test programme which will help ensure the delivery of a reliable product.

The test model has run for 4 days so far but will need to run for 12-15 days before we can sign off the mechanism.

Is that 4 days continuous running, or 96 hours cumulative? 12 - 15 days, 288 - 360 hours seems a bit excessive for a little shunter, someone's going to be playing a lot if thats in realistic shunting operations !

Is that 4 days continuous running, or 96 hours cumulative? 12 - 15 days, 288 - 360 hours seems a bit excessive for a little shunter, someone's going to be playing a lot if thats in realistic shunting operations !

On a theoretical basis, I'd disagree!

Lets say the model will have a design life of 20 years.

In that time, 360 hours of operations is expected. That would equate to 18 hours a year.

Now lets say that the model is being used at weekends, every weekend. Thats only c.21 minutes running per weekend. OK maybe hard to do if you are shunting, but say you are running a pickup goods, the miles or hours could soon stack up. And if a model is running on a circular layout, or at an exhibition, it could easily rack up 15 hours in a weekend, worst case.

Also, subjecting the model to such use ensures that, under a normal life (less than 360hrs), any potential problems with the design are identified and removed.

It's a reasonable test of a new motor. It will be 100 hours cumulative as we can't leave it running overnight. It is reasonable to assume that level of running - ie 6-8 hours per day for 12-15 days - is more strenuous than it will get under any 'reasonable use' conditions by a customer. We're not trying to test it to destruction, merely to ensure that it will stand up to reasonable use.

It will likely be doing some of that running at the Warley show this coming weekend.

CHRIS LEIGH

It really does look the dingo's danglies, waiting with Antipodean anticipation to order a BR version for down under as a brewery shunter, (on hire of course!!). Well done Chris and the MR team. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Peter C.

The first batch of four liveries (plus one for Murphy's Models) are the top four from the original livery survey that we did. The ones which got most votes are the ones we're doing first, as promised. Subsequent batches with different liveries will be done after the first batch has sold through.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Will the LNER one be lined or unlined? If it is lined that might be enough to tempt me for an LNER one, if not I'm heading to BR days for the Sentinel, then the problem will be deciding which one I think that it will be the vac braked early emblem for me.

Where are the details of liveries etc. shown? If it is via a subscription email could some kind soul reprint them on here so that us foreigners can have a look? Also are there ordering details available yet?

Cheers from Oz, Peter C.

• 2 weeks later...

These snaps are posted with permission of Ben Jones. Date Monday 6 December.

'Attached are the latest images of our ‘OO’ gauge Sentinel 4wVBT model. These samples have been hand-painted by Dave Lowery to illustrate how the models will look when released. A fourth model, Departmental No. 57 in BR black with the late crest is taking a little longer as we’ve had to commission bespoke transfers to replicate the hand-painted lettering/numbers of the real locomotive – pictures will follow shortly.

GWR green No. 13 will have a printed numberplate – the raised one shown here was assembled by Dave from plastic in the absence of an etched brass plate or transfer.

These models will shortly be shipped to China as prototypes for the decoration of the production models. We’ll bring you more pictures and information as soon as we have it.'

These are the snaps some will have seen me taking at Warley a couple of weeks ago. The demo motorised version running on the little display at the show had clocked up 60+ hours by the end of the week running in and it was still going strong without a wheel clean on Sunday evening.

The smoke effect, wagons and background buildings do not come with the Sentinel, they're just a serving suggestion :rolleyes:.

All photographs (click to enlarge) copyright Chris Nevard/Model Rail 2010.

post-6681-021925400 1291717981_thumb.jpg

post-6681-015776100 1291718008_thumb.jpg

post-6681-051152200 1291718037_thumb.jpg

post-6681-061066300 1291718065_thumb.jpg

• Like 4