• RMweb Premium

Very odd, as it is usually colder or damp conditions that cause problems with paint blooming or not finishing correctly.

Great job on the detail painting there, I hope I have the patience (and steady hands) enough when I finally get around to finishing* my Cl40.

* a very loose term considering I have only half built the bogies before packing everything away for the impending house move (now done).

Look forward to the finishing touches of your build, should be a pair of cracking models.

Hi David,

Nice to see you looking in!!

Very odd, as it is usually colder or damp conditions that cause problems with paint blooming or not finishing correctly.

That is what I have often thought and I sprayed inside, at room temperature

Great job on the detail painting there, I hope I have the patience (and steady hands) enough when I finally get around to finishing* my Cl40.

* a very loose term considering I have only half built the bogies before packing everything away for the impending house move (now done).

Does this mean you can make a start again then? :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Nice to see you looking in!!

Does this mean you can make a start again then? :D

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee, yes it has been a hectic few months and as for "starting again" all the modelling gear and models are in B&Q plastic truck boxes, it is going to be a good few weeks before I even get around to looking for them let alone the essentials like the Whisky collection!  :O

Actually only the third week here now, times flies when you have no idea what you're doing  :derisive:

Pheeewwwww... panic over. Having purchased some more paint and giving the underframe another(!!) coat of Railmatch BR blue I can report all is well. Correct colour with a satin finish :)

I can only assume it was the paint that was giving me the problems as it was over 2 years old and had been opened (so perhaps I should have known better). I thinned to 50/50 paint thinners (HMG), spraying at my usual 10PSI, in the same (approx) room temperature that I have always sprayed. So all's well that ends well... thank goodness.

If I get chance later on I shall paint the underframe pipework and then put the bogies back together. Here's the outcome so far:

post-4186-0-45456100-1455806465_thumb.jpg

There was a little over-spray but luckily only on the underframe pipework which needs to be painted orange anyway so no real problems with that. I'm quite pleased with the outcome as and quite relieved to say the least :)

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee

Well here we go, slowly getting the loco back together. Having re-fitted the motors, delrin chain, wheels and side frames I couldn't resist a pic so I thought I'd share it here:

post-4186-0-80294300-1455831999_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-31202800-1455832001_thumb.jpg

Tomorrows job will be painting the underframe detail areas so that I can finally attach the bogies and leave them.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee

Hi Vin,

Thank you.  The cutting mat hardly gets used as I have a couple of A3 sized ones that get all the hammer.

Having just looked at the pic, I've realised I've goofed a little with the masking :(  The tiny strip of underframe between base of the cab and the buffer beam I have allowed to be blue.... this should be black.... it is only a tiny error though :D

Cheers

Lee

It seems building locos is a series of successes and failures... or at least minor setbacks.

Today has been one of those days with some things going ok and then others not so.  I started today by spraying the class 40 underframe and bogie assemblies  with another coat of Railmatch Black.  All went rather well until I noticed that the surface of one of the loco underframe cross I-beams seemed to be 'peeling'.  Upon further inspection It appeared that I had not removed one of the pieces of protective plastic/ cellophane that they are shipped with.  Peeling this away (quite easily) then left a nice white unpainted part :( However, I soon sorted this by mixing up a little etch primer and applying it:

post-4186-0-59509000-1455912702_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-16049100-1455912700_thumb.jpg

Not exactly the end of the world but just a little annoying as I was sure I had removed all of these prior to fitting.

So while that lot was busy drying (I always leave a coat of paint for at least 24 hours, etch paint for 48 hours) I decided I'd continue with the Class 20 underframe.  A little more careful painting following pics on Flickr for guidance:

post-4186-0-36537400-1455912612_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-99475000-1455912613_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-59150700-1455912615_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-37565700-1455912617_thumb.jpg

I have absolutely no idea why I have bothered to paint the air lines on the bogies.  Once these are weathered you will never see the white and furthermore it shows off a part that I have not fitted... I guess I am going to have to now as it's bugging me.  This took most of the afternoon, along with a little more cab detailing after I finally found a picture (I knew I had seen it somewhere) of the cab bulkhead at high level:

post-4186-0-71002000-1455912619_thumb.jpg

I managed to get this finished now and to a point where I am quite happy with the cab detailing.  So now its time to mask off the window apertures and then get the cab and body assembled and painted.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee

Down and through the solebar?

Hi Vin,

What do you mean..... going under the loco frame and then back up into the engine room?

I was thinking of just using thin wire to go along the cab wall adjacent to the second mans seat.  But if there is another method... I'm all ears :)

Oh yes, I thought of you yesterday when I saw this:

post-4186-0-08550800-1456085494_thumb.jpg

Not a bad hoover really ;)

Cheers

Lee

Hi Vin,

What do you mean..... going under the loco frame and then back up into the engine room?

I was thinking of just using thin wire to go along the cab wall adjacent to the second mans seat.  But if there is another method... I'm all ears :)

Oh yes, I thought of you yesterday when I saw this:

attachicon.gif50015 Ramsbottom.jpg

Not a bad hoover really ;)

Cheers

Lee

I love 50's, I managed to bag every one back in the day!

The refurbished variety pounding down the WR and LSWR to Exeter take a lot to beat! Sadly out of my modelling time frame.

Hi Vin,

Whoops I was thinking about my class 40... sorry.

The 20 will definitely have the wires stuck to the cab side and then through the bulkhead at low level.

I think I shall employ something similar for the 40 too.  Going underneath the cab seems like a lot of work and is likely to get caught.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

A couple of pics of 40106 in BR green from over 3 years ago. How can anyone forget building this, but me!

post-11695-0-63545600-1456343329_thumb.jpg

The cabs prewired and detailed away from the main body. You can just about see the wires out of the back of the cabs. I think I must have tucked them out of the way for the photo.

post-11695-0-48150400-1456343346_thumb.jpg

Part way through painting. I must have sprayed the white line as the transfers must have been put on later.

None of these photos have been on here before because the file size was too large for RMweb.

Regards

Vin 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to have been a while since I managed to get any work done on either the 20 or 40 but over the last few days a little progress has been made.  Re-assembling the loco the second time around once painted seems a little more time consuming than I had thought but I'm getting there.  Assembling the buffer beam details again I noticed how the tubing that is supplied by JLTRT seemed a little thick and over sized.  So I filed down the MU jumper connectors that have cable attached and found some thinner cable that was more accurate:

post-4186-0-87274100-1457565058_thumb.jpg

If you compare the cables I'm using with that provided by the JLTRT tubing (on the right) you will probably see what I mean:

post-4186-0-62243900-1457565125_thumb.jpg

It took quite a while to get everything to fit but I think you will agree they look better:

post-4186-0-13487700-1457565060_thumb.jpg

With the buffer beams complete (both ends) it does seem like it's starting to come together now:

post-4186-0-09824200-1457565062_thumb.jpg

I have the cab and body joined, masked and covered in etch primer.  However the coat of primer highlighted a few spots where joins were evident so a bit more filler and more smoothing down was required.  I have now managed to get the body work to this stage:

post-4186-0-78349200-1457565063_thumb.jpg

All ready for white primer on the ends for the yellow and then the dreaded masking prior to the banger blue.... perhaps I may go over the exposed areas of bodywork with a dusting of etch primer..... a little unsure about that at the moment.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee 

• RMweb Premium

jumper cables etc. might, to some, seem to be just minor details but when you're trying to get everything else accurate, why spoil it with pipes that aren't right?

like what you've done there and it does make such a difference.

seems to happen quite a bit in 4mm - jumper cable and dummy socket wrong way round, wrong shape of jumper socket etc. class 40-wise, the Bachmann one manages to have ok looking jumper sockets on the bufferbeam, but the ones on the side of the bogie (which should be the same size) way overscale and stick out.

good work there, looking forward to seeing them completed

Hi Lee,

I haven't ever used the rubber piping in the kits and have just put them to one side. Maybe one day I'll think of a use?

I either use 1.2mm wire with the centre cores removed or 1.6mm dia heat shrink so it attaches to the fittings. This can be done for both multiple working cables or ETS fittings.

Your class 20 is looking great and should be finished soon. I just hope 37423 goes the same way?

Regards

Vin

jumper cables etc. might, to some, seem to be just minor details but when you're trying to get everything else accurate, why spoil it with pipes that aren't right?

like what you've done there and it does make such a difference.

seems to happen quite a bit in 4mm - jumper cable and dummy socket wrong way round, wrong shape of jumper socket etc. class 40-wise, the Bachmann one manages to have ok looking jumper sockets on the bufferbeam, but the ones on the side of the bogie (which should be the same size) way overscale and stick out.

good work there, looking forward to seeing them completed

Hi Keefer,

Thanks for your comments.  I certainly agree about the OO gauge class 40's that I have seen.  The bogie side mounted MU coupling is always way too big and stands really proud of the bogie side.  Certainly a fix if there ever was one.... I guess you could chop the plastic molded cable off and replace it with very small dia. electrical cable comparable to that used in wiring up decoders or something???

Hi Lee,

I haven't ever used the rubber piping in the kits and have just put them to one side. Maybe one day I'll think of a use?

I either use 1.2mm wire with the centre cores removed or 1.6mm dia heat shrink so it attaches to the fittings. This can be done for both multiple working cables or ETS fittings.

Your class 20 is looking great and should be finished soon. I just hope 37423 goes the same way?

Regards

Vin

Hi Vin,

I think that the cable I have used is 1.2mm and I'm quite pleased with the overall results despite the amount of time it took to file the fittings down.  I also 'roughed up' the cable with a bit of wet and dry too to take that shininess off :)

I'm sure 37423 will be superb.  Keep up the great work on it... I am getting very tempted now by the JLTRT 37.  But none of this new fangled loco malarky.... it would have to be 37175 in banger blue or something that was prevalent around Eastfield in mid 1980's :D

Cheers

Lee

Progress is so slow at the moment as the waiting in between coats of paint is holding the job up!  However, that said, I have managed to get the white primer and yellow done on the ends of the loco.  In my haste I sprayed over the white primer after only giving it about 3 hours to dry so I'm hoping nothing goes awry.

Well here you are, first off the loco ends with Railmatch white primer:

post-4186-0-46435500-1457805429_thumb.jpg

Finally starting to look like a loco with the yellow:

post-4186-0-03212200-1457805431_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-75557100-1457805432_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-15202300-1457805435_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to get another two coats of yellow done tomorrow then I guess that's it for several days until the enamel hardens fully.  Then I can begin the dreaded job of masking the yellow off.  I have also got my fingers crossed that the windows have been masked off properly too, otherwise I'll have an awful mess to sort inside the cab :(

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Lee

I managed to get the last coat of yellow sprayed onto the loco today.  So now I wait in order to mask off these areas so that I can spray the blue.

I have a question:  How long is advisable before putting the masking tape on following the yellow paint application?  (I have some Frog Tape which is low tack)

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Lee

Archived