Hi Jim,

The pipework chain isn't chain.... it is 32AWG wire that is twisted.  I can't take the credit for that as I got the idea from Ozzyo on here.  If you trawl back through this thread you will find his post.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

No updates I'm afraid as I'm too busy with work.  However, some bad news :(

Whilst I have been spraying my locos I have had a niggling doubt in my mind about the colour of the Railmatch yellow I have been using.  Something was bugging me and then, having spent quite a bit of time on Flickr looking for info for other projects, I realised that the yellow should be a little more orange... if that makes sense???  I'm kind of surprised no-one here has noticed either as many seem to be very helpful and have a keen eye.

I looked online to see what is available and to my 'horror' discovered that Railmatch do a pre-1984 warning panel yellow paint.  So it would seem that rather than using RM202..... I should have used RM304 :(

I am now thinking to myself.... do I leave it... or do I strip both locos and repaint/ decal them???  The class 20 will be a nightmare to re-do, the class 40 not so difficult.  I don't think that just re-spraying over the yellow will be an option in order to keep it simple :(

...just when you think you are making progress eh!!!

Cheers

Lee

No updates I'm afraid as I'm too busy with work.  However, some bad news :(

Whilst I have been spraying my locos I have had a niggling doubt in my mind about the colour of the Railmatch yellow I have been using.  Something was bugging me and then, having spent quite a bit of time on Flickr looking for info for other projects, I realised that the yellow should be a little more orange... if that makes sense???  I'm kind of surprised no-one here has noticed either as many seem to be very helpful and have a keen eye.

I looked online to see what is available and to my 'horror' discovered that Railmatch do a pre-1984 warning panel yellow paint.  So it would seem that rather than using RM202..... I should have used RM304 :(

I am now thinking to myself.... do I leave it... or do I strip both locos and repaint/ decal them???  The class 20 will be a nightmare to re-do, the class 40 not so difficult.  I don't think that just re-spraying over the yellow will be an option in order to keep it simple :(

...just when you think you are making progress eh!!!

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee. Personally, I would say what you have used is correct. Yes there are 2 shades of yellow, pre 84 and post 85. However, the post 85 shade (you are correct in noticing it as slightly more 'orangey'), started to appear on large logo and Railfreight liveries. Plain blue locos were still being overhauled and repainted in the original warning yellow. Plenty of BR blue locos running about with it albeit faded and battleworn, into the early 90's. If it were me and I was painting a blue 20 and 40, I would choose the shade you have used.

Hi Lee. Personally, I would say what you have used is correct. Yes there are 2 shades of yellow, pre 84 and post 85. However, the post 85 shade (you are correct in noticing it as slightly more 'orangey'), started to appear on large logo and Railfreight liveries. Plain blue locos were still being overhauled and repainted in the original warning yellow. Plenty of BR blue locos running about with it albeit faded and battleworn, into the early 90's. If it were me and I was painting a blue 20 and 40, I would choose the shade you have used.

Hi Lee,

Having looked at photos comparing like for like it does seem obvious that the warning yellow colour was more 'orangey' as these locos were running before the LL stuff appeared.  Now it is obvious, it's annoying the hell out of me!!!  The 20 and 40 would not have had the LL yellow applied during 1983/4.

I'm tempted to carry on and once the next 40 is built and sprayed (with the correct colour!!), if there is a vast difference, I shall have to bite the bullet and try to re-spray the fronts somehow.

Many thanks for your help and input, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

By the time it is weathered and covered in squashed flys who will notice??

You have done a great job on both locos....leave them alone :-)

Hi Grumps,

Hmmm, thank you... perhaps once weathered it may change things as you say.  Lets see eh???

Thank you for your comment.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

I would leave as is they look fine. Remember if a few years out of works the sun would have faded the yellow a bit. I often run a little white into the fronts of my loco's if I want the faded look.  

One thing I was going to mention was your class 40 body looks like it's sat a bit high on the chassis as the gap from the body to the bufferbeam looks a bit big. I think my latest Bachmann class 40 has a too big a gap where as it looks better on my Lima/ Bachmann 40012.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Lee,

I would leave as is they look fine. Remember if a few years out of works the sun would have faded the yellow a bit. I often run a little white into the fronts of my loco's if I want the faded look.  

One thing I was going to mention was your class 40 body looks like it's sat a bit high on the chassis as the gap from the body to the bufferbeam looks a bit big. I think my latest Bachmann class 40 has a too big a gap where as it looks better on my Lima/ Bachmann 40012.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,

Thank you for that.  I will just see how they look once next to my next loco that I do... with the correct RM304 paint!!!  If I have to change them... then I have to change them.  Anything that you know is wrong.... it bugs you!!!... well it does me :(

Good spot!! Yes, the 40 was sitting high because I didn't push the body all the way home onto the frame for the quick pic.. and of course the pony wheels are missing too as I hate putting these in.  They will go in once and stay there.  There must have been another 3mm or so for the body to go all the way home and sitting correctly.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not sure if anyone reads my updates, but just to show the almost completed 20 (just needs small window wipers adding):

post-4186-0-80819700-1462389429_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-56871700-1462389432_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-37293200-1462389436_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-17358600-1462389440_thumb.jpg

The windows were a nightmare to fit as the panes were curved, but I got there in the end.... windows just need a little tiding up I guess.

At some point it will get weathered... but for the moment I'm just enjoying seeing an ex-works banger blue 20 in the sun.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

First class and thorough builds! I will look for a pat on the back emoji!!

I will be putting the soldering iron to one side for my next loco build... watching your progress with your locos has tipped me over the edge and I have ordered a JLTRT class 22 and a Hymeck....

So if it all goes horribly wrong you had better feel guilty :-)

Hi Grumps,

I'm quite confident that the Hymek and 22 builds in your hands will go swimmingly.  Thanks for the compliment, I'm quite pleased with my first completed build.  Just need to get the 40 finished before the other JLTRT kits arrive :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Your 20 and 40 look superb Lee, well done!  Talk about inspiring somebody to have a go!  Im about to jump into kit building for the first time ... starting simple with a BDA from PRMRP which I hope to get ordered this week, if all goes well - I can see a JLTRT 45 appearing in the not too distant future.  

Spent a happy hour reading through and catching up on this thread, you really have done well - hope your proud of it!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I have built 2 BDA's you may wish to look at Markits for decent buffers.

Ian G

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for that - i'll take a look.  I'm going to do a thread on the Kitbuilding forum as i build it, so if you have any advice, please feel free to contribute!!  Sorry for hijacking the thread Lee!

Rich

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for that - i'll take a look.  I'm going to do a thread on the Kitbuilding forum as i build it, so if you have any advice, please feel free to contribute!!  Sorry for hijacking the thread Lee!

Rich

Hi Ian & Rich,

No problems at all, it's nice to see people contributing to the thread.

I'm reasonable happy with the class 20 build and the class 40 is a little better.  There are still a few niggles with them but I'm just going to go with them and put any minor errors down to experience.  I have three items on order from JLTRT at the moment so hopefully my next two locos will be even better  :boast:

The next two locos will be 40060 and 40126... I shall probably only post items in the build that are different to the build on 118 as I'm guessing that seeing JLTRT class 40 builds might start to get tedious :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

The next two locos will be 40060 and 40126... I shall probably only post items in the build that are different to the build on 118 as I'm guessing that seeing JLTRT class 40 builds might start to get tedious :D

Now call me suspicious but I am getting an inkling ... only a very slight one I hasten to add ... that there is a distinct Class 40 crank around here hehe  :mosking:

All sounds good tho Lee - I do have 40107 sat not 10 foot from me at the moment ... albeit it a weathered Heljan model, rather than a superb JLTRT kit built example.  Currently in the stored pool on Marsh Lane, its awaiting works attention to engine problems, namely the fitment of a Zimo DCC sound decoder, to allow me to run it!

IMG_3452.JPG

(Excuse the clutter and partly demolished building in the background, what was planned to be a layout, has turned more into a testing board!  I've now started on a new separate layout!)

You mentioned three items on order from JLTRT ... two 40s ... so what (or should I not ask!) is the third??

Rich

Now call me suspicious but I am getting an inkling ... only a very slight one I hasten to add ... that there is a distinct Class 40 crank around here hehe  :mosking:

A class 40 crank... where??  :mosking:

40107 looks very nice, some superb weathering there.  The one thing that now strikes me about the Heljian class 40 is the nose left and right hand edges that run from cab windows to nose end...... there seems to be almost a 'corner' there as opposed to a nice rounded egde.  It's the only way I can spot the difference between the JLTRT and the Heljian locos.

You mentioned three items on order from JLTRT ... two 40s ... so what (or should I not ask!) is the third??

The third item is one of the ZZA Independent snowploughs.  I remember Two Tone Green (Andy) mentioning it was a nice easy kit to build and I fancied having a go at one merely as a painting/ weathering exercise.

I have a few more locos to be ordering too in the future (20045 needs a partner(s) in crime) so I'm sure this build thread may go on for sometime yet :D

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

The third item is one of the ZZA Independent snowploughs.  I remember Two Tone Green (Andy) mentioning it was a nice easy kit to build and I fancied having a go at one merely as a painting/ weathering exercise.

Ooooh sounds a good plan!  Look forward to seeing the progression.  If all goes well with the wagons and perhaps a coach or two this year, I can see me maybe attempting a JLTRT loco next year.  I had a pair of Heljan 20s, but want a pair of centre headcode one's in Railfreight Red stripe as two of the Thornaby namers.  So i do keep reading your Class 20 notes!

Rich

... If all goes well with the wagons and perhaps a coach or two this year, I can see me maybe attempting a JLTRT loco next year.  I had a pair of Heljan 20s, but want a pair of centre headcode one's in Railfreight Red stripe as two of the Thornaby namers.  So i do keep reading your Class 20 notes!

Hi Rich,

Thank you, I'm pleased to hear that my ramblings are of use as that's why I decided to post everything in the build.  I guess many here find it tedious but for those of us that may not be experienced modellers the niff naff and trivia can be helpful with the JLTRT builds.  I have found on several occasions that the simple parts of the build have caught me out and I hope by posting other won't have to sit scratching their heads for so long :)  Thank goodness for many that read this thread that have posted and set me straight when I have struggled.

If you stick around long enough this thread will eventually have a couple of center headcode class 20's in too... namely Haymarkets 222 and 224 :D

Cheers

Lee

I know just what you mean ......I do wonder if my thread is anything more than of passing interest to the armchair types on forums these days?

Hi Phil,

No waaaaaayyyyyyy.  I love your thread... especially when there are pictures of hydraulics in the sun  :good_mini:

I have to admit I do find it a little dis-heartening though when you take the time to take pics and then write a few words in a post and no-one comments, but I am guilty of this too with others' threads :(

The beauty of t'interweb eh???

Cheers

Lee

Archived