• RMweb Premium

Lee, Its looking really good as it nears completion....love the low angle shot, reminds me of wandering around Finsbury Park when I was a bit younger :lol:

As to the roof grill, I bought a few sections of mesh from Hannants and will use the supplied grill surround on that mesh, it actually looks like the woven wire mesh rather than a flat etched sheet.

looking great, just before you paint the roof, I think the handles are a touch long

Michael - thank you very much for posting that. You are being very diplomatic when you say a 'touch long' - I think you might actually mean they are waaaaaay too long. I'm very grateful that you have spotted this.

... oh well, add to the list of things to do: roof handles!

Cheers

Lee

I would be interested to see how you get on with the super glue un-gluer as I have a JLTRT TTA to take to bits and replace with the correct size tank barrel when I get it from them.

Here is the Shawplan 37 grill on my Heljan 37. They should be the same size on a 37 and a 40 I am sure. I have just measured the Shawplan grill as 36.3mm along the centre line of the roof from cab to cab and the JLTRT one is 36.8, this does not include the bit of mesh that the Shawplan grill sits on around the edge so I recon the Shawplan one will sit ontop of the hole just right.

post-6766-0-20113000-1308050945_thumb.jpg

I've been lucky today as I've had a little bit of time this evening to rectify some of the errors I have made on the loco.

Having now realised that it will be much easier to mask the yellow/ blue without the nose handrails I removed them. Once again I used the Deluxe Glue Buster and just applied small blobs to the bits of handrail wire sticking out on the underside of the nose. Leaving the glue buster for about 5 seconds or so I then pulled the wires out. Thankfully, there is no damage:

post-4186-0-64506200-1308077266_thumb.jpg

I shall drill out the holes again with a 0.5mm bit to ensure that they are clear before inserting the handrails post paint work.

Brian - whilst doing this I had a little prod at the resin around the wire that was to be removed. It did feel a little soft and has removed all of the surrounding JLTRT paint - but that's no problem for me at this stage. So I'm not sure how you would get on if you were to use lots of this stuff on a resin kit to remove resin from resin or indeed resin from a large area of brass/ whitemetal. The pic of the class 37 roof grille looks really good. I have tried to contact Shawplan today to see if I can get one sent to me, perhaps even with another fan???? I shall add pics if I am successful with it added to the loco.

Finally I have redone the roof handrails - thanks once again Michael for spotting the error, I don't know what I would have done if I had gone ahead and painted the loco only to notice these parts were incorrect:

post-4186-0-81165700-1308077281_thumb.jpg

I think the handrails do look much better too.

Boxbrownie - what's happaned with your class 40 build.... I'm sure you were building one of these too :yes:

Cheers

Lee

Lee, you can get some "glue buster" from Deluxe....it works a treat getting cyano to relinquish its vice like grip on everything.

Hello Dave / Lee,

where do you get this "glue buster" from? Is it made by Deluxe or is the supplier Deluxe?

Thanks,

OzzyO.

Hi OzzyO,

I've just typed 'Deluxe Glue Buster' into Google and it gave me a load of places to get it from, but I got mine from JLTRT. Failing that give these people a buzz at Deluxe. I'm sure they will be able to help you - and I've just noticed you can buy online from them too.

Nice to see another build coming along... you put me to shame :rolleyes:

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems as though I haven't been doing any loco build for a while judging by the last time I updated this thread. However, I have been busy as I managed to get a decoder, fit it and begin learning how to adjust and tweak the bits I needed to. I must admit that delving into the decoder functions via CV's did seem a little daunting at first but I think I have got the hang of it and can comfortably find my way around the Loksound decoder quite swiftly now.

After chatting with the people at SWD I opted for the LokSound XL v3.5, primarily because of its current rating ability as I have two motors to drive and I wasn't sure how the V4.0 would cope. Anyway after a little faffing I have managed to get everything connected - lights, sound, motor. So heres a few pics just to prove I have made some progress:

post-4186-0-70858300-1309620853_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-91301100-1309620868_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-92923000-1309620885_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-58063100-1309620899_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure why the headcode lights appear yellow as they aren't really... I guess it could be the camera on my phone :huh:

Giving it a test run with the sound certainly confirms she's a class 40 alright - the sound is quite good despite being from two 40mm enclosed speakers

Despite having a better understanding of the XL decoder I'm still a bit unsure of how many functions it actually has. Reading the user guide implies that there is function mapping for 20 functions F1 - F20, but I only seem to be able to access 15. Does anyone know if the 'Sensor' functions form part of the 20 and if so how do you map these functions as I don't seem to have found CV's allocated to this task?

Anyway, it seems that most of the electrical jiggery-pokery is done now so I'm hoping to get a few detail bits added today.

Cheers

Lee

I think we need to hear it. Nothing like the sound of a 40........I used to stand on Shenfield Station listening to them whilst waiting for my train (a surprising number of them too).

Best, Pete.

Second update for today with a few detail bits added to the loco. I started with the Shawplan Class37/ 40 etch grille:

post-4186-0-54989600-1309645105_thumb.jpg

This is a rather nice etch but I don't think I have done it justice. No matter how careful I am with solder (and I used Carrs solder paste too in the syringe applicator)... the stuff always seems to go where I don't want it. The next picture says a thousand words and I'm not that happy with the end result to be honest:

post-4186-0-75390900-1309645123_thumb.jpg

I really did not want to get any of the solder on the upper surface of the etch mesh, but sadly small amounts crept onto the top surface of the grille retainer. Thankfully no grille holes were blocked with solder but nevertheless I think I may be looking for a solution to removing some of the excess. I can hear Ozzyo chuckling already after we discussed soldering at the O Gauge Guild at length :yes: .. or rather my very poor inability to solder and hence not tackling brass kits.

Right - onto those circular plate nose details I've been wittering on about. I made the circular plate using some thin plasticard and my trusty hole punch, drilled out three holes in an equilateral triangular pattern and added some cosmetic 0.5mm square bolts. The end result (sorry about the poor quality of the picture but this is 2.5mm in diameter so my phone camera really struggled):

post-4186-0-80944700-1309645142_thumb.jpg

I shall try to add that to the nose tomorrow along with two more cosmetic bolts that sit beneath one of the horn grilles.

Pete - I shall try to get a vid and post it for you to watch/ listen to.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

I think we need to hear it. Nothing like the sound of a 40........I used to stand on Shenfield Station listening to them whilst waiting for my train (a surprising number of them too).

Best, Pete.

Pete.....I didn't have to stand on the station (although I did more than a few times) as I used to live in the flats at the end of the EMU sidings just outside the station, I had a clear view of all things ER and spent hours watching and listening to the 31's,37's and 40's bumbling up and down, mostly with frieghtliners in my days, they were the "new" thing, and I distnigly remember the rattle of an empty train of "liners" going past. I think there must have been more 31's than anything else as for some unknown reason thats the loco I have the most hankering for, and soon to be realised I hope if the Heljan predictions are true.

Lee....Yes indeed I do have a 40 in the works, but sadly with only the power bogies built it has been rostered back into the workshop holding area while work on the EB DMU was taken on.....and of course summer being here now has seen me in the train shed only a few times since March :cry: many other commitments take priority during the sunny months.

But at least out today at the Basildon railway show, a little summer treat and maybe a stock up on a few odds and ends for my sons 4mm layout, but still no Bachmann FNA flask carrier on sale yet :angry:

I grew up in Hunter Avenue (Our House in the Middle of the Street - the highest point of Hunter). Before they built the houses opposite (backing onto the lines) we had a wonderful view of B17's and Brttannia's going past at Bedroom to firebox height.

Yes, I would agree that 31's seemed to be the most prevalent I remember the first time I saw the Golden Ochre and Electric Blue - fantastically bright after the green! Your apartment in the block near the NatWest Bank?

I moved on in 1974, first to Brentwood then to Harrow. Now I'm rootless in the UK since all my close family over there have died.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Pete, No I was in the "new" flats (only two stories) at the end of Gordon Road off of Woodway, my living room used to look right down the track to the station and the kitchen window was about 50' from the main line, and after a while the rattling glasses in the cabinet soon faded into the background :lol: .

We moved there after steam I am afraid, I think we moved there in about 69/70 but I saw the transition from BR Green to Banger Blue diesels.

I bought an old surplus aircraft spotting scope from English's in Hutton and used to sit for hours watching the station movements through it from the comfort of my lounge, now thats luxury train spotting (Mum....can I have a glass of orange please?) :laugh:

..and here's a video for you all. The quality I'm afraid is rather poor as I had to use my phone and it seems to prefer focusing on the plug socket on the wall! Nevermind, I'm sure you'll get the jist of it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tBUHF_dBQ

Oh yes, they are chock blocks that are perfroming the task of a rolling road, it was all I had to hand :D

Cheers

Lee

I really did not want to get any of the solder on the upper surface of the etch mesh, but sadly small amounts crept onto the top surface of the grille retainer. Thankfully no grille holes were blocked with solder but nevertheless I think I may be looking for a solution to removing some of the excess. I can hear Ozzyo chuckling already after we discussed soldering at the O Gauge Guild at length :yes: .. or rather my very poor inability to solder and hence not tackling brass kits.

Cheers

Lee

Hello Lee,

that don't look to bad to me. But if you want to get rid of some of the solder. Just use a hot dry iron and some flux, the solder will run to the iron, it will not take all the solder from the joint.

ATB

OzzyO.

I think there must have been more 31's than anything else as for some unknown reason thats the loco I have the most hankering for, and soon to be realised I hope if the Heljan predictions are true.

The Heljan 31 will be released but I will stick my neck out and say end of the year more than likely Dave.

Who's chip was this? South West?

That rad grill looks ok to me :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Lee, sounds excellent.

As for the the Heljan 31, after the Deltic now due according to Tower Models web site, mid late August. Credit card breaths in :yahoo:

Yes.....and I know I just HAVE to have a Deltic of course, its virtually written in law! I reckon we will not see the 31 until spring next year the way Heljan program is running, but earlier would be nice King Denmark.

• 1 month later...

Hi Garry,

Sorry but the progress has been very minimal. I'm just in the process of preparing her for the paint shop at the moment. Perhaps I shall take a few 'during' painting progress shots for here - hoping to get spraying shortly. Thanks for asking though.

Cheers

Lee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of updates but there has (sadly) been nothing to report. The loco is all masked and ready for spraying but everytime I'm home the weather is poor and too windy. I'm starting to think that it will now be spring or summer before there are any decent spraying days :(

I'm almost tempted to get another class 40 and build that over the winter months so that I have two BR Blue locos to spray when the weather improves.

Cheers

Lee

Archived