• RMweb Premium

I'm almost tempted to get another class 40 and build that over the winter months so that I have two BR Blue locos to spray when the weather improves.

Cheers

Lee

JLTRT loco kits on special offer at the moment ......... :O

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of updates but there has (sadly) been nothing to report. The loco is all masked and ready for spraying but everytime I'm home the weather is poor and too windy. I'm starting to think that it will now be spring or summer before there are any decent spraying days :(

I'm almost tempted to get another class 40 and build that over the winter months so that I have two BR Blue locos to spray when the weather improves.

Cheers

Lee

go for it Lee, then you could try out one of the ABC motor bogies we saw at Halifax. One of my mates is just powering one bogie but applying a decent amount of weight around and over the power bogie.

OzzyO.

TimC - you tease!!!

OzzyO - Those ABC gears of TwoToneGreens looked superb but having installed the two Slaters motor/ gearbox combinations the running has been just excellent, I'm really pleased with that so I don't think I'd change it TBH.... and of course there's the price difference too.

I've been busy doing some research... if anyone has pics of 40's 009, 044, 126 or 177 please could you PM me.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

TimC - you tease!!!

OzzyO - Those ABC gears of TwoToneGreens looked superb but having installed the two Slaters motor/ gearbox combinations the running has been just excellent, I'm really pleased with that so I don't think I'd change it TBH.... and of course there's the price difference too.

I've been busy doing some research... if anyone has pics of 40's 009, 044, 126 or 177 please could you PM me.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee

A good source of Class 40 pics http://www.flickr.com/groups/cfas/ and of course Brian Daniels class 40 photostream http://www.flickr.co...157626751074858

Talking of Brian, I think one of his JLTRT models is 40177.

• RMweb Premium
Yes Tim I have bagged 40177! Think of another Lee :P

Oh no, I didn't realise it was a race......I think Brian will win every time.....he's the SR71 of the model building world! :)

I recieved my Slaters 30:1 gearbox and motor last week and I have to say it really is a lovely made gearbox and runs beautifully, I am quite taken with them now. Although I still have to find a way to suspend the motor bogie/slaters gearbox combination on my EZB 108. The way it is orientated means the motor lays over the pivot point of the bogie, not a big deal but I will have to think of a neat solution....or a messy excuse for one!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I finally had a delivery from JLTRT today:

post-4186-0-99417400-1450125725_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-47576100-1450125730_thumb.jpg

The class 20 will be built first, I guess trying to get back some practice before I have another go at 40118!

So I started working out what goes where:

post-4186-0-02601800-1450125734_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-94597000-1450125738_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-15184600-1450125743_thumb.jpg

I shall make a start on the loco tomorrow so more pictures to follow as it gets built. If you have any top-tips as I go along please feel free to contribute.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Pete,

I don't think I shall need to do any of that as once the loco body is fitted to the frame by the screws it will all work out just fine... well that's what I'm hoping. A dry test fit certainly points to that anyway.

Cheers

Lee

A busy day, although an enjoyable one, as I've managed quite a bit. Initially I thought I would be lucky to get one of the bogies motorised and a few detail items added. Just like this...

post-4186-0-60468300-1450206579_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-67977100-1450206582_thumb.jpg

I still need to add the delrin chain but I shall do that once the bogies are complete and have had a coat of etch primer and black paint. Anyway, it seemed that things were working out quite nicely and by the close of play I had actually managed to get both bogies motorised with most of the detail parts added:

post-4186-0-67242300-1450206586_thumb.jpg

Before I finally finished for the day I started to look at the buffer assembly. The buffers themselves are delivered as a machined head and shaft (item 1) which has a collar (item 2), a spring (item 3), a nut (item 4) and then there is the cast buffer sleeve (item 5) that fits everything to the buffer beam.

post-4186-0-63326100-1450206590_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the collar (item 2) is actually not needed and all I have to do is drill out the cast buffer sleeve to accept the buffer shaft and spring??

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

Thanks for stopping by  :)

Not much to show for today as it's a 'cleaning items ready for some etch primer day'. I would have managed to get the etch primer sprayed on all the detail parts if it hadn't been horizontal rain all day... there is no way am I going outside in the rain to clean thro my airbrush every 10 minutes or so, it can wait until tomorrow.

However, I did manage to blacken the wheel sets. These have come out a little patchy, I guess that's due to any grease that was left on them before blackening. I do remember OzzyO telling me the best de-greasing agent to use, but I can't remember what it was (was it Cillit Bang???..... other products are available :D )

Anyway, here we are:

post-4186-0-00682800-1450265541_thumb.jpg

I need to refine the way I do this to get a better result, I guess when it comes to blackening things like screw-link couplings it makes for a much better finish. The wheels aren't too critical as they will be weathered anyway... and perhaps blackening the tyres wasn't such a good idea either but hey ho.

Cheers
Lee

Blackening the tyres is a good idea, trust me. Did you buff them up after drying?

Hi JeffP,

Yes I buffed the wheels and tyres up afterwards

Is the blackened finish conductive?

Hi Fastdax,

It certainly is... well a multi-meter across them testing continuity shows they are ok

Cheers

Lee

Archived