Autoballasters

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I think Mick is trying to replicate a particular rake, and that one has a flat top (and flat side!) genny...

Correct!

GERS 12935, has a flat top at the non-genny end and flattened sides. 12936 is the same.

Maybe ready for the NEC........

post-408-041425700 1289500131_thumb.jpg

Link to 12936

Cheers,

Mick

Be careful! I noticed that Hattons are selling FOUR packs of generators, which I can't see many people wanting as it would involve buying 16 non-generators! I think it's a mistake and have emailed them, but no answer as yet.

To be fair, it does say on the product description bit on their website for this item the following

"

These wagons would appear at the end of each train of autoballasters to provide power for the lighting and drop chutes. There would only be one per train and the generator would be at the opposite end to the rest of the wagons. A suggested rake for these wagons is

or

"

• RMweb Premium

Finally got my hands on a JJA genny today and first impressions are it is VERY good.

However, it suffers from the Dapol JNA disease of bits falling off - the canopy hood popped out of the box first!

All the instruction and other signage is particularly well applied except for one - the "A1" and "A2" designations on the end are wrong way round!

Look at this pic to see what I mean.

Apart from that, it's my choice of "model of the year" and I can't wait for the other variants to make up the set.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Guys

Can someone do me favour please. My wagon was whisked away from me to be hidden until xmas day. I work in EM can someone measure the wheeel diameter on one of their wagons so I can get some wheels from EMGS trade stand at EXPO EM South.

I assume they would be 12mm. Also are they plain disc, 3 hole etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PS anyone EM one yet?

The You Tube video with 37401 hauling contradicts a lot of statements in saying there is only one generator wagon per train, I understand they run in sets of five, but there are two generator wagons in this rake of ten.

Unless its two sets that have been put together, one yellow Network Rail set and the other as per the model in Railtrack livery.

• RMweb Gold

The You Tube video with 37401 hauling contradicts a lot of statements in saying there is only one generator wagon per train, I understand they run in sets of five, but there are two generator wagons in this rake of ten.

Unless its two sets that have been put together, one yellow Network Rail set and the other as per the model in Railtrack livery.

Hi Martin

There is one generator per set of 5 (not per train), so the two per 10 is correct - it is two 5 wagon sets.

Mike

The You Tube video with 37401 hauling contradicts a lot of statements in saying there is only one generator wagon per train,

Nobody on this thread has said there is one generator wagon per train, although a quote is mentioned to that end from the Hattons website - however they are also selling 4 packs of generators, go figure. ;)

With JJAs there is usually just one generator per set, there are usually 5 vehicles in that set.

With HQAs there is always one generator per 5 wagon set (* in normal use)

How many sets comprise a train depends on the job (i've seen up to 4 sets - 20 wagons on a train)

A train can be made up of sets of both types.

(*Assuming we are talking of use on the national network, if you happenned to be modelling their first use on HS1 construction then they were formed into different sets)

Nobody on this thread has said there is one generator wagon per train, although a quote is mentioned to that end from the Hattons website - however they are also selling 4 packs of generators, go figure. ;)

Actually neither did I, I wasn't being critical of anyone on the forum just read it in various articles :mellow:

• RMweb Premium

There's a picture in a Rail Express from a few years ago showing an EWS 37 at Dalwhinnie with 3x JJAs (no generator I think) plus 10x HQAs, all in Railtrack livery, showing that these wagons can run in sets of less than 5. Not sure if this has been mentioned above.

Also, possibly mentioned above, the easy way to tell JJAs from HQAs in telephoto magazine shots is that HQAs have handbrake wheels on the bogies - and JJAs are a couple of years ahead of the HQAs in the rust and filth stakes.

As people have said, Bachmann's model is excellent, but it does rather show up their class 37! :( The JJAs draw the viewer's eye in with the incredible detail, but when said eye gets to the loco it has to pull back a meter or so to not notice the missing fuel tank detail, poor bogies, lack of windscreen grommets, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Odd.

Mine didnt make it to Father Christmas!

I also model EM but as yet havent taken calipers to the wheelset. The bogies appear to be the same as the BDA which have very heavy back 3.5mm 4 mm worth of plastic and sit snuggly behind the wheel. The wheels themselves are plain disc and appear to be 3' or the metric eqivalant, my first thoughts would be to use some Black beetle wheelsets that for me have worked well in tight spaces.

My purchase was taken out the box on getting home and it was WOW....looks superb them lets have a look at the bogie arrangements and it was oh erm bit tight....will envistigate and get back!

Ian

Guys

Can someone do me favour please. My wagon was whisked away from me to be hidden until xmas day. I work in EM can someone measure the wheeel diameter on one of their wagons so I can get some wheels from EMGS trade stand at EXPO EM South.

I assume they would be 12mm. Also are they plain disc, 3 hole etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

PS anyone EM one yet?

There's a picture in a Rail Express from a few years ago showing an EWS 37 at Dalwhinnie with 3x JJAs (no generator I think) plus 10x HQAs, all in Railtrack livery, showing that these wagons can run in sets of less than 5. Not sure if this has been mentioned above.

Also, possibly mentioned above, the easy way to tell JJAs from HQAs in telephoto magazine shots is that HQAs have handbrake wheels on the bogies - and JJAs are a couple of years ahead of the HQAs in the rust and filth stakes.

As people have said, Bachmann's model is excellent, but it does rather show up their class 37! :( The JJAs draw the viewer's eye in with the incredible detail, but when said eye gets to the loco it has to pull back a meter or so to not notice the missing fuel tank detail, poor bogies, lack of windscreen grommets, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Odd.

I have seen short/odd sets up in Scotland but never without a genny. Often seen in 8s or 9s but always 2 gens in the set. Not sure what you are on about re the Bachmann 37 either? It is at last a fine model (at a very reasonable price compared to other Hornby and Heljan rocketing prices) and (now) a reliable runner. Your observations are ultimately accurate, however if you want an accurate 37 go and buy a real one. Models are models......

Not sure what you are on about re the Bachmann 37 either? It is at last a fine model (at a very reasonable price compared to other Hornby and Heljan rocketing prices) and (now) a reliable runner. Your observations are ultimately accurate, however if you want an accurate 37 go and buy a real one.

:lol:

Thanks for that 158722, as you say this topic is about Autoballasters not class 37s. For information, Daddyman already has a topic running about the Bachmann 37, one that he hasn't seen fit to return to (probably because the consensus went against him there as well):

New Class 37 of class 60 standard

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I thought of something to add a little something to the JJA's, so I fitted some lights, these will work on DCC and DC*, I haven't fitted a DCC chip so they will always be on.

Will still have to find a way to put the light covers back on, but in the mean time i've posted some photos here;-

http://galleryroy.fotopic.net/c1918317.html

Regards

Roy

*Direction dependent

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

I thought of something to add a little something to the JJA's, so I fitted some lights,

Nicely done.

I can feel a major lighting project coming on because of your JJA!

There's 5 lights per side - between each chute and also between chute and bogie EDIT - there's 3 lights per side on a JJA and 5 on a HQA.... and they're a different shape on a JJA to a HQA . The generator also has an extra light under the canopy. Looking through my pics, I couldn't locate any lights under the small canopies on the non-genny JJA's

Cheers,

Mick

Archived