Autoballasters

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

Be careful! I noticed that Hattons are selling FOUR packs of generators, which I can't see many people wanting as it would involve buying 16 non-generators! I think it's a mistake and have emailed them, but no answer as yet.

• RMweb Gold

This made me smile on Hattons site

There would only be one per train and the generator would be at the opposite end to the rest of the wagons.

at first glance I thought they meant the whole wagon :lol:

They also show it as 4 of the round or flat top wagons, is this just them or do they mix the "inner, as Bachmann call them" types?

On the (not modelled) HQAs the generator is always at the end of the set, as it can't be anywhere else with their inner/outer setup! - on the (modelled) JJA sets the generator can be anywhere in the formation - and the "flat top" ones are the result of conversions when they were KPAs, not relevant operationally these days.

The most plausible rake from the tooling Bachmann has done would be 1 generator and 4 non generator in any mix - round tops I think are statistically slightly more common but not so much that anyone should get hung up on it, for example there's a nice image on the DEMU site at the moment of a JJA set where from memory 4 of the 5 (including the generator) are flat top ones.

I have just had a phone call from Hattons and very sensible it was too they have asked if it was ok for them to hold my order for my auto ballaster until the other wagons have been released and then send the all in one go.

Why could not Bachmann of had them all made at the same time and released them all at the same time?

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Why could not Bachmann of had them all made at the same time and released them all at the same time?

Because then people would moan that they were holding back stocks when the public are baying for them ;)

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a phone call from Hattons and very sensible it was too they have asked if it was ok for them to hold my order for my auto ballaster until the other wagons have been released and then send the all in one go.

Pete

They are all at Barwell at the mo.......... ;)

Bachy are releasing them gradually to aid our (and retailers) cash flow! Flat and roundtop JJA's are promised for early December.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

On the (not modelled) HQAs the generator is always at the end of the set, as it can't be anywhere else with their inner/outer setup! - on the (modelled) JJA sets the generator can be anywhere in the formation - and the "flat top" ones are the result of conversions when they were KPAs, not relevant operationally these days.

The most plausible rake from the tooling Bachmann has done would be 1 generator and 4 non generator in any mix - round tops I think are statistically slightly more common but not so much that anyone should get hung up on it, for example there's a nice image on the DEMU site at the moment of a JJA set where from memory 4 of the 5 (including the generator) are flat top ones.

As Martyn says, the generator has a flat top, but only at the non-genny end! Thanks to Martyn for pointing this out to me.

A hacksaw could be coming into close proximity with my genny JJA in the next 2-3 days!

Cheers,

Mick

Because then people would moan that they were holding back stocks when the public are baying for them ;)

Indeed - I suspect that all 3 versions are made from the same toolset, modified to represent the different versions. So you couldn't make them all at the same time - and the only way to release together would be to hold back one batch whilst making another.

Bruce

The wife kindly picked up my small order from Model Railways Direct on Tuesday which included one of Bachmann's latest modern freight wagons and although I only managed a quick peek, by jingo it looks to be a real cracker.

I thought with their MBAs and MOAs being absolutely excellent they would be hard to top but they have and then some.

Without a doubt Bachmann are the leaders in modern freight stock (what with Dapol dropping the ball with their latest offerings) The JJA is a superb wagon and should be crowned the ultimate wagon for 2010 by a mile.

All we have to do now is wait patiently for the matching wagons to be released.

Bachmann, go straight to the top of the class.

Roll on Dec 25th.B)

So is the generator only there to open chutes or can it power other stuff ??

Cheers

James

Dont worry found out that its These wagons would appear at the end of each train of autoballasters to provide power for the lighting and drop chutes. Though Hope model rail do a Bachmann DRS 37409

• RMweb Gold

Just picked up a Genny one from the local modelshop and all the plaudits are well deserved. Now I need to try some subtle weathering and patch out the Railtrack logo and then a bit more weathering. If the rest are around at Warley they'll go as fast as the CEPs last year.

This is a lot of wagon for the money!

• RMweb Gold

They are all at Barwell at the mo.......... ;)

Bachy are releasing them gradually to aid our (and retailers) cash flow! Flat and roundtop JJA's are promised for early December.

Cheers,

Mick

Thats not actually the case, I suspect it was a tongue in cheek comment but we know how these things can be misinterpreted.

• RMweb Premium

What are the odds of the Mk1/Mk2 coach stock problem occuring with these?

I.e, for every generator you need 4 normals, so lets hope Bachmann are clued up on this one and make twice as many (of both the flat and curved) normals as generators.

Maybe in a few months, there'll be a surplus of cheap genny wagons! I'll bet that the genny mouldings can easily be removed to make non-gen JJA's. Or they could be back-dated to the KPA's!

Cheers,

Mick

As Martyn says, the generator has a flat top, but only at the non-genny end! Thanks to Martyn for pointing this out to me.

A hacksaw could be coming into close proximity with my genny JJA in the next 2-3 days!

Cheers,

Mick

Don't be so quick in getting the hacksaw out Mick!!!!!!!

Have a closer look at the pic on the link that Martyn posted earlier http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1387225.html you will see that some of the genny fitted ones have a curved top at both ends.

Rob

Be careful! I noticed that Hattons are selling FOUR packs of generators, which I can't see many people wanting as it would involve buying 16 non-generators! I think it's a mistake and have emailed them, but no answer as yet.

I saw that and thought it was odd too. I doubt they'll get many sales (and hopefully won't confuse too many people).

Those videos are both excellent, thanks! I wondered a while back about converting seacows into stingrays, but now I want a rake of lit autoballasters! It's like boy racer under car lighting for wagons :) :)

Will

A stingray with lighting has been done, so why not an autoballaster rake?

• RMweb Gold

I saw that and thought it was odd too. I doubt they'll get many sales (and hopefully won't confuse too many people).

Hattons do bulk packs of most things these days, including mega packs of some items - don't be too sure that people won't buy them ;)

Archived