Autoballasters

beast66606

I hope they've been painted though :lol:

Very very excited...........

The one I saw at my local shop was engineer yellow. Bit off my timescale.

My idea of an Auto ballaster would be a BR guy twisting the wheels on a Dogfish after a long night on the beer. Incidentally, and to veer off, what did they do before these bits of kit were invented?

• RMweb Gold

I have lay my cards on the table here, an auto ballaster is an autoballaster.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Coach, I think the nitpicking got lost in the translation :rolleyes:

Having video'd then in the 1990s were the yellow ones the same as the blue and grey ones?

The yellow ones are the same as the blue/grey - but the paint scheme is newer, not that all of them carry the yellow livery, even to this day.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Coach, I think the nitpicking got lost in the translation :rolleyes:

The yellow ones are the same as the blue/grey - but the paint scheme is newer, not that all of them carry the yellow livery, even to this day.

Is this Network rail yellow or something else?? Also do these have lighting onboard them as im sure when they were announced they were to be fitted with lights,

Cheers

James

• RMweb Gold

Is this Network rail yellow or something else?? Also do these have lighting onboard them as im sure when they were announced they were to be fitted with lights,

Cheers

James

Yes and don't know (yet)

Do they not have lights on them then for when they drop ballast ?? thats the JJA auto ballaster outer generator wagon im on about, sorry but Im not really into wagons :pardon_mini: So is there Network rail livery one going on sell too or you on about the Dapol wagons

James

• RMweb Premium

The one I saw at my local shop was engineer yellow.

I hope not.... (or at least I can't find any phots yet).

Bachmann are doing the JJA Autoballaster at the moment, AFAIK, there aren't any painted yellow. JJA Autoballasters are individual wagons with buffers at each end, but are usually found in 5-sets.

HQA's are similar to a JJA, but are run as fixed sets of 5 with knuckle couplers within sets - there are HQA's in yellow.

Cheers,

Mick

Hattons have charged my CC for the generator wagon I pre-ordered, let's hope the rest of the rake isn't far behind. I'm really looking forward to seeing these in the flesh, the MOAs earlier this year whetted my appetite considerably :)

Will

• RMweb Gold

I cannot see how asking a question on livery and stating ones own lack of knowledge on autoballasters can be construed as nit-picking.....:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

auto ballaster or autoballaster - does it matter (assuming that was the point you were trying to make) ? :rolleyes: - and digressing somewhat from the point of the thread.

• RMweb Gold

38-210 JJA Mk2 Auto-Ballaster Generator Unit Railtrack

38-211 JJA Mk2 Auto-Ballaster Non-Generator Unit (Flat Top Profile) Railtrack

38-212 JJA Mk2 Auto-Ballaster Non-Generator Unit (Curved Top Profile) Railtrack

I'm assuming you can mix the flat and curved top wagons randomly? I've never paid that close attention as they pass. :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Although I'm not a 4mm modeller, I thought I might try and clarify things here....

The Bachmann model represents the JJA autoballasters. These were the original versions converted from Tiphook aggregate hoppers. Spotting points: buffers at both ends of all wagons, Y25 fabricated bogies, large air tank fitted laterally beneath cowling, "open" discharge chutes. Variations within the type: Some have generators fitted, some not, and some have "cut down" ends to the hopper. This is because the donor wagons, in a former life, had their ends cut down to clear a loading hopper in the Peak District (Tunstead, IIRC.) Some JJAs have slightly "flattened" sides (again, depending on original donor wagon) but I don't think Bachmann have attempted this type.

There also exist a second type of autoballaster coded HQA. These were built new for Railtrack; and subsequently for Network Rail. Bachmann have not, yet, attempted this type. Spotting points: Run in fixed five wagon sets with a Generator Outer-Inner-Inner-Inner-Non-generator outer. Buffers at outer end of each fixed rake only. All have LTF bogies (same as Network Rail JNA wagons) and visually different to those on the JJAs, though same wheelbase. Large air tank fitted longitudinally beneath cowling. Also, the "inners" have distinctive fold-down plates on their discharge chutes, though the outer wagons have visually similar chutes to the JJAs. Also, there are minor differences in the shape of the handrails, overhead canopies, end platforms.

*Quick plug* all these variants, along with the original Tiphook donor wagons, are available in NGS kits 35a, 35b, 35c and 35d!!

HTH

cheers

Ben A.

Srange I find that the outer is completed before the inner, and the innner shows at least a month away!? Surely they'd be released together (MBA/MOA springs to mind)

Just to reinforce the point - Bachmann's models are not "outers" and "inners" (I know that's what Bachmann call them, but it doesn't reflect the real wagons or how they are used) - as a couple of folk have said already all JJAs are buffer fitted at both ends and can be used in any configuration - but usually they are seen in sets of 5 with one generator and four non-generator wagons working as a "set".

There are, as Ben has said, similar HQA wagons which are configured as "inners" and "outers" but they do not match the Bachmann model as supplied at the moment.

Proto-photo's of the JJA batch: http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1387225.html

Carillion, GTRM and "patched" ex Railtrack as future liveries? ;)

Guest 838rapid

Am I correct in thinking that these wagons are the same as what Foster Yeoman were using for a while on certain stone trains,Sure that they were branded polybulk.

The JJA are converted from Tiphook bogie stone wagons - current tops code KPA

KPA proto-photo's - http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1790200.html

Some of those were used on Mendip stone at one point (see the two UID white liveried ones) - the blue ones pictured are part of a small pool of surviving un-modified KPA which these days normally work on local aggregates traffic in the London area.

Polybulks were quite different bogie covered hoppers for traffics such as china clay and grain.

Just to reinforce the point - Bachmann's models are not "outers" and "inners" (I know that's what Bachmann call them, but it doesn't reflect the real wagons or how they are used) - as a couple of folk have said already all JJAs are buffer fitted at both ends and can be used in any configuration - but usually they are seen in sets of 5 with one generator and four non-generator wagons working as a "set".

There are, as Ben has said, similar HQA wagons which are configured as "inners" and "outers" but they do not match the Bachmann model as supplied at the moment.

Proto-photo's of the JJA batch: http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/c1387225.html

Carillion, GTRM and "patched" ex Railtrack as future liveries? ;)

Many thanks Gents - you've clarified things very nicely and I now know how many of these I will get :D

Guest 838rapid

Cheers Martyn.

Thanks for the link

Thats the ones.

Yeah,Tiphooks thats them.

Used to watch them rumble past behind class 59's.

Archived