The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A Royal Wedding for Next Year

Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Premium

Well, the pundits are already crawling out of the woodwork in a big way, and a lot of callers and contributors to the Jeremy Vine show are already moaning about the potential cost to the taxpayer.

Cost or not, this was always going to happen with William and Harry and yet another Royal whingding was inevitable.

Looking back reminds me of the old story that the Queen was looking for a new TV set, and was discussing this with Philip, who said that he would have whatever make was available, but not a Philips or a Ferguson, as they were nothing but problems.

... and hoping that their marriage will last longer than some of the other royal marriages.

Maybe, but in this day and age they're probably unique in still 'marrying'

Or, with several failed marriages in the Windsor family, they are just reflecting society in their country ?

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean we could see a Queen Kate or a Queen Katherine? The last Queen called Catherine (with a 'C' admittedly) met with rather nasty end if I recall correctly sometime in the 16th Century at the hands of a bloke with a very large axe on the orders of her husband...

Anyway, no doubt Taiwanese and Chinese sweat shops are probably already gearing up to swamp us with the obligatory souvenir mugs, tea towels and other associated tat!!

I think I might book the day off as I really don't fancy working any trains up to London on the big day... :D

Does this mean we could see a Queen Kate or a Queen Katherine? The last Queen called Catherine (with a 'C' admittedly) met with rather nasty end if I recall correctly sometime in the 16th Century at the hands of a bloke with a very large axe on the orders of her husband...

You're forgetting Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II.

Not that it really matters.

....Anyway, no doubt Taiwanese and Chinese sweat shops are probably already gearing up to swamp us with the obligatory souvenir mugs, tea towels and other associated tat!!....

It wouldn't be any great stretch for them, seeing as they're already turning out vast quantities of "2012 Olumpics" tat.

"The Chinese.....a great bunch o' lads."

Good luck to them, maybe they should name a couple of locos after them !!

Report on BBC news said "This will brighten up everyone next spring, just as the announced cuts in jobs, services & pay starts to take noticeable affect"

Can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

The reaction comments on the BBC website are less than complementary, pick of the bunch

"Does anyone spot a pattern here? 1981 - country in recession and on its knees; let's have a royal wedding to take everyone's minds off it!!

2010 - country in recession and on its knees....only it won't work this time because the vast majority of the public no longer have the affection for the royal family that they once did. More and more they are seen as an expensive irrelevance..."

Jim

The reaction comments on the BBC website are less than complementary, pick of the bunch

"Does anyone spot a pattern here? 1981 - country in recession and on its knees; let's have a royal wedding to take everyone's minds off it!!

2010 - country in recession and on its knees....only it won't work this time because the vast majority of the public no longer have the affection for the royal family that they once did. More and more they are seen as an expensive irrelevance..."

Jim

My first cynical reaction when I first heard the news was, Mr Camerons idea to take the masses minds off the inevitable massive price rises due next year. :D

I just hope William and the Royal Family remember what the tabloids and gossip rags did to his mother.

The assorted sleezy journos, paparazzi, "Royal correspondents", gossip columnists and celebrity commentators etc, are already slobbering over the feast before it's even started.

Personally I hope the couple stay out of the limelight, give as few public addresses and interviews as possible and do the bare necessary for the public Royal Wedding.

Hopefully that'll frustrate that crowd of leeches who are probably expecting to lunch on a Dianna Mk2. Pay back time if you like.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen though. sad.gif

Personally I hope the couple stay out of the limelight, give as few public addresses and interviews as possible and do the bare necessary for the public Royal Wedding.

There is a unquenchable demand for Royal gossip - in the red banner tabloids and internationally. Despite what you might imagine, US interest in the Royal Family in the celebrity obsessed magazines like People and US Weekly is huge.

For better or worse, Kate has signed on to "The Firm".

Based on the previous generation, at least she should know what to expect.

• RMweb Gold

There is a unquenchable demand for Royal gossip - in the red banner tabloids and internationally. Despite what you might imagine, US interest in the Royal Family in the celebrity obsessed magazines like People and US Weekly is huge.

I never cease to be amazed at the people who find the Royals interesting. HMQ (before she got the job) and my mother were both expecting their first sprog at the same time, so I'm 2 days older than the present heir to the throne. I feel absolutely nothing in common with him or his family.

Archived