The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A Royal Wedding for Next Year

Claude_Dreyfus

Also the Royal Family generate a lot of money for this country through tourism.

OMG - the US Media is already driving my crazy and I bet a lot of Americans will be planning their trip to Merrie Olde England as I write - so, yes, you'll see a lot of visitors next year.

As aside I had some first time visitors from the Nashville music scene over with me in London, around 1996. One evening we walked down to Buckingham Palace and then to Westminster and back via Trafalgar Square. We reached Buck House about 11:00Pm and noted the flag was flying but, I said "She's probably tucked up in bed, already", ###### me, just as I said that a Roller turned up at the main gates with HM in the back - and she gave my visitors a quick wave and smile. one of the women nearly peed herself.............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

The current Royal Wedding Frothfest is excellent cover to deflect attention from a serious financial crisis that may well make things worst here and on the Continent.

Good luck to the two of them!

By the way here is an Australian's view of the RWF ( warning: strong language! )

Also the Royal Family generate a lot of money for this country through tourism.

Is that what we want, a head of state that is a tourist attraction?

And anyway, I think it is a complete fantasy that the Royal family generates a lot of money for this country through tourism. For instance I believe that the Château de Versailles attracts more visitors than any royal residence in the UK, welcoming several millions each year, and there is no French Royal family here to attract them! Therefore it is the Royal palaces and gardens and the spectacle of changing the guard, etc that attracts the visitors, not the family itself.

Willy

Posted · Hidden by Mod6, November 18, 2010 - tasteless
Hidden by Mod6, November 18, 2010 - tasteless

Oh! the text message jokes are coming thick and fast.

I find it quite amazing how quickly people come up with this stuff in reaction to news and current events.

"Veteran celebrity Sir Jimmy Savile met William's mum through his charity work. Asked if he had any advice for the bride to be, he said "yes...remember, Clunk Click every trip"

The other 15 or so I've got so far, can't be repeated on here !

They're missing a trick here. They ought to hold the wedding in 2012 at the Olympic Games opening ceremony. It would make all previous opening ceremonies look pedestrian ... and save us a few bob.

...and besides, if you're going to have a foul-up, make it a right royal one.

Posted · Hidden by Mod6, November 21, 2010 - political and already done
Hidden by Mod6, November 21, 2010 - political and already done

With major apologies to the Mods, at the risk of dragging this thread off topic and far too close to political comment, can I introduce you to the three words that will convince you that the monarchy is a good thing:-

President Blair / Thatcher *

*delete according to political sympathies.

• RMweb Gold

So its Friday 29th April then. All get a day off work. Plenty of time for some extra work on the layout !!!

or best part of half a day off for me, we finish at 2pm on a Friday normally. Oh well, lets not look a gift horse in the mouth (who mentioned Camilla :lol: )

Ho hum - will be travelling to Cornwall that day - OH and I are giving a geology day school to archaeologists in Truro (I think) on the Saturday.

And for those counting bank holidays -

• April 22nd - Good Friday
  • April 25th - Easter Monday
  • April 29th - Royal Weeding (Friday)
  • May 2nd - Early May Bank Holiday (Monday)

That's four Bank Hols in three weeks

• RMweb Gold

Ho hum - will be travelling to Cornwall that day - OH and I are giving a geology day school to archaeologists in Truro (I think) on the Saturday.

And for those counting bank holidays -

• April 22nd - Good Friday
  • April 25th - Easter Monday
  • April 29th - Royal Weeding (Friday)
  • May 2nd - Early May Bank Holiday (Monday)

That's four Bank Hols in three weeks

Ah ha - Easter week so many folk are already on holiday anyway, clever that as it ensures a good tv audience and doesn't result in too much of an extra cost for holiday shutdowns etc for companies as they can spread the resultant lieu leave day wherever it suits..

• RMweb Premium

Most schools will be back by then as Easter is late this year. Devon is due to go back on the 26th. Ah 2 weeks off then a 3 day week to break yourself back into the routines, nice. Ah now which school is going to give me a job then?

• RMweb Premium

A four day weekend? Plenty of chanced for some major railway engineering works methinks. You can hear the cogs of the short term planning department at Network Rail towers already crunching away now... :D :D :D

A four day weekend? Plenty of chanced for some major railway engineering works methinks. You can hear the cogs of the short term planning department at Network Rail towers already crunching away now... :D :D :D

No - TWO four day weekends - the previous weekend is Easter. The crunching is getting louder.

• RMweb Gold

They will be well outside Rules if they start trying to mess around with it this late in the process so they don't stand much chance at all of getting anything additional. In fact what I can see as more likely is operators trying to get existing jobs cancelled in order to run extra services to get folk to & from London - which is going to be an interesting inversion of the rows (sorry 'debates') that normally characterise the planning process.

Guest dilbert

What's all the fuss about ? Anyone would think there is something really special about two people who decide to get married after only going out with each other for eight years ? Some sort of intelligence X factor? Will be glad when it is all over - can't some other royal weddings be allocated for the 26th-28th - that way a new concept of week long series of public holidays could set a new level of appreciation for time off financing creaky banking and gvt economic systems ...dilbert

Archived