Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

I suppose they are niche EMUs, but at the same time I would easily say they are among the best models ever built. I've spent a good few hours just admiring my Silverlink model and it truly is a masterpiece. I'm hoping that there are still some London Midland sets avaliable around these prices on my next Payday

Bachmann can't afford to have unsold stock sitting in their warehouse for too long.

It costs money to store products and at some point they'd need the storage space for new stock. Not forgetting that they would have had to pay the factory at some earlier point, resulting with a negative being carried on the balance sheet.

Hence the periodic clearances to their trade customers, which are a regular occurrence.

If this is a sign that the 350 is being cleared out of Barwell (we don't know), then there'll be no more for a long while, if ever again.

Roll on the 450. The card is ready. 

Might just be tempted to get another set (or two).

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann Desiro is a superb model. Even at the SRP I do not consider it a rip off, in fact at the SRP I think it still offers good value for money. The shape is excellent, the finish is excellent, it is a sweet runner and the overall impression is superb I think. I'll admit to be biased as I relied on these trains for several years to get me to/from work as a season ticket commuter between Milton Keynes and London but nevertheless this was an absolutely fantastic release in my opinion. I'd love to see them do an Electrostar too but if sales of the Desiro have been disappointing I'm guessing it will make it harder to sell the idea of an Electrostar release.

• RMweb Premium

One problem I see with modern passenger trains in general is that they are very restricted in terms of route operations and what other trains they might work alongside. The 350'soperate along the WCML although for a while they also operated Southern Trains services. The livery pretty much places them on a set route at a set period in time. By comparison, with BR era trains very often a blue/grey or all blue MU could be suitable for operations over half of the network over quite a long period with no more than changing the destination boards and numbers (and really, for many you wouldn't even have to do that). So releases like the 101 & 108 can be suitable for a huge range of interests compared to a typical modern train.

Agreed, the 350 is an absolutely stunning model, and having purchased both London Midland variants upon release, I've now just purchased my third set, as with the current offers its hard to resist.

Edited by darkjunglemung

One problem I see with modern passenger trains in general is that they are very restricted in terms of route operations and what other trains they might work alongside. The 350'soperate along the WCML although for a while they also operated Southern Trains services. The livery pretty much places them on a set route at a set period in time. By comparison, with BR era trains very often a blue/grey or all blue MU could be suitable for operations over half of the network over quite a long period with no more than changing the destination boards and numbers (and really, for many you wouldn't even have to do that). So releases like the 101 & 108 can be suitable for a huge range of interests compared to a typical modern train.

That's very true, but I have noticed that all the major retailers have in the past also sold Bachmann's 1st generation DMU's at a heavily reduced price, so I'm guessing that MU's just aren't quite as popular as Bachmann were hoping.

That's very true, but I have noticed that all the major retailers have in the past also sold Bachmann's 1st generation DMU's at a heavily reduced price, so I'm guessing that MU's just aren't quite as popular as Bachmann were hoping.

The larger retailers have also been selling a lot of steam locos at heavily reduced prices too, so it's not just the DMU's they are trying to move on.

The fact that there are residual supplies left for sale may not necessarily be negative news though. Who knows, the manufacturer may have already hedged against the possibility of the last X percentage of stock being slower to move and factored this into the overall rate of return? As such, discounting the remainders to retailers, will probably still provide a profit.

The alternative might be smaller batches with a higher retail price.

The very nature of the market, with such a wide and varied number models being made available (many of which would have had little or no chance of being made years ago) has inevitably led to the production of models that will have a much narrower appeal than would have been considered necessary in previous times. I'm guessing that production volumes must be smaller as a result?

Judging the market and balancing that with viable and economic production volumes, will inevitably lead to some surpluses as well as some unexpected rapid sell-outs. Unless you operate like Rapido (and a few others) who largely build to order.

• 1 year later...

Nice to see the 450s on their way at last. I always thought that a layout based on Micheldever station would be a perfect way to showcase these. A compact station site, hemmed in by cutting walls and the RAF fuel store to the east. Popham tunnel to the north and overbridge to the south make perfect scenic breaks. The sidings by the fuel store provide some operational interest. There is quite a variety of traffic apart from the 450s that use this stretch of line or have done in the past few years:

Voyagers

159s

Turbostars

66s, 67s and 70s on assorted freight

Regular steam specials (Swanage Belle for example).

Proof_IMG_0373.jpg

Railway_line_at_Micheldever_Station%2C_l

20150801_6574-XL.jpg

20130216_03-XL.jpg

• Like 11

Nice to see the 450s on their way at last. I always thought that a layout based on Micheldever station would be a perfect way to showcase these. A compact station site, hemmed in by cutting walls and the RAF fuel store to the east. Popham tunnel to the north and overbridge to the south make perfect scenic breaks. The sidings by the fuel store provide some operational interest. There is quite a variety of traffic apart from the 450s that use this stretch of line or have done in the past few years.

A fantastic little location.

• RMweb Gold

If you look at Micheldever then there is also:

455s to Eastleigh /Bournemouth quite often

MPVs

And if you are going back to the Turbostar era, I think that would also bring in 47s.

As you say, a good choice of location.

Roy

A quick question regarding this model can it be operated as a 3-car unit? In the style of Baldrick I have a cunning plan... totally un-prototypical but it would suit a project I am involved with. I gather from reading all of the pages in the thread that the pantograph fitted car is the powered vehicle with the other cars all being non-powered?

Cheers Paul

A quick question regarding this model can it be operated as a 3-car unit? In the style of Baldrick I have a cunning plan... totally un-prototypical but it would suit a project I am involved with. I gather from reading all of the pages in the thread that the pantograph fitted car is the powered vehicle with the other cars all being non-powered?

Cheers Paul

Yep, the 'Power Car' is the PTSO. Whilst there is through wiring, it will work fine without the other vehicles present.

Yep, the 'Power Car' is the PTSO. Whilst there is through wiring, it will work fine without the other vehicles present.

Further to that, I have run the powered car around on its own, under test for the sound decoder and speaker I fitted. Obviously, there are no headlights or tail lights to work when like that, but interior lights worked as well as the motor and sounds. A three car set is quite feasible, or if you go the other way, a five car set is also possible (using the unpowered trailer from another set).

I have written to Rachel at DRS and she confirms the models will be despatched from Tuesday, they didn't arrive when they should have, I did mention the wonky plates and the glue spillage so hopefully someone will check them before despatch, but wonder whether there woukld be anybody who would know what to look for...

Edited by martin_l_jones

Really? What is Bachmann doing that is not DCC ready? Are you sure you are not confusing DCC ready and DCC equipped?

Roy

Classes 166, 170 and 171. These go back many years to when I suppose Bachmann put motors in the centre vehicles to minimise pushing. I dare say it seemed a good idea at the time. Now it seems that changing the wiring for DCC with the lights in the end vehicles and the motor in the middle is complicated enough to cause Bachmann to shy away from the job.

It’s rather a shame – I’ve been waiting years for DCC-ready Voyagers and Super Voyagers which show no sign of appearing in any form. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll be scrapped before they appear. :(