Bachmann Desiro's

smg201

Voyagers

159s

Turbostars

66s, 67s and 70s on assorted freight

Regular steam specials (Swanage Belle for example).

If you look at Micheldever then there is also:

455s to Eastleigh /Bournemouth quite often

MPVs

One of the  most common features at Micheldever over the last decade, has been the temporary storage of WIA car carriers.

The WIA's are one of the mainstays of freight flows into and out of Southampton docks, running up to 9 or 10 5-car sets (45 or 50 wagons long) and some of the 5-car sets can regularly be seen stored at Eastleigh and Micheldever.

6005189260_9b272b98a3_b.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A 50 wagon rake would be something! I've got 15 and that's not exactly short in N!

Agree it would be a great location though, just need a 444 and 442!

Now it seems that changing the wiring for DCC with the lights in the end vehicles and the motor in the middle is complicated enough to cause Bachmann to shy away from the job.

It’s rather a shame – I’ve been waiting years for DCC-ready Voyagers and Super Voyagers which show no sign of appearing in any form. I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll be scrapped before they appear.

The two aren't mutually exclusive - the Farish Desiros have the motor in the pantograph coach, and obviously have working head and tail lights. Means three decoders are needed (as no through wiring), which is a bit of a pain.

Edited by njee20

For the rivet counters out there ........................

The 450's are being modelled with the toilet discharge pipe covers in place on the TC & TSO, these have been missing on the actual units for about the last 5-6 years as they were noted for become detached in service whilst on the move and deemed (rightly) a severe safety hazard. By the time I left NR I'd amassed a collection of about 20 collected from trackside.

So the gaping holes left will not be present on the model but this is accurate for the first half dozen years of service ................

Edited by Southernman46

• 1 month later...

So with the SouthWest trains franchise now gone, will the Class 450s being repainted?

A bit sad really, seen as we haven't even got any 450 models in yet, and probably won't until around Christmas.

It's going to take a while to re-vinyl the fleet so they are going to overlap a fair bit :)

By the time the model is released, the franchise will have changed over.

Even if the blue livery hangs around for a while, no doubt the SWT and small Stagecoach titles will have been removed by then and replaced with LSWR titles/logo and something like "by First/MTR".

By the time the model is released, the franchise will have changed over.

Even if the blue livery hangs around for a while, no doubt the SWT and small Stagecoach titles will have been removed by then and replaced with LSWR titles/logo and something like "by First/MTR".

Hmmm... So I guess this Bachmann train is going to be short-lived.

It's a shame really, the class 450 SWT is one of my local trains and looks amazing. Will be a bit of a downer having a layout next year but with the train liveries already looking out-dated. 

O' God !! ............. First Group ............. the implication has just struck home ............. there goes punctuality in getting to work  :banghead:

Tell me about it. I live on an ex First Capital Connect, now Thameslink line station, and the service is terrible. Throughout the Thameslink upgrade I have never experienced such bad train service anywhere else.

• Like 1

.......Throughout the Thameslink upgrade I have never experienced such bad train service anywhere else.

Well, instead of trying to run almost a full service while all the work and disruption has been going on; maybe the DafT should have instructed Thameslink and Southern to cut services by 20 to 30% instead, with a subsequent lack of passenger carrying capacity?

Ticket rationing, no turn up and go tickets during extended peak periods, a limit to the number of season tickets made available, or other methods to restrict usage and avoid total carnage?

Thousands of commuters effectively barred from using the railway at peak times.

I dread to think how that would have gone down with the travelling public, commuters, politicians, the press and other media?

Anyway, way off topic.

Tell me about it. I live on an ex First Capital Connect, now Thameslink line station, and the service is terrible. Throughout the Thameslink upgrade I have never experienced such bad train service anywhere else.

Totally agree. Hardly a week goes by without some problem, although in my opinion Govia Thameslink is considerably worse than Furst Capital Connect was.

• 3 months later...

Got to love the comments! Why is everyone angry or negative on social media? Did make me laugh the post about "livery is out of date" etc. Considering SWT branding has been around for 21 years, it is remarkable how few models in the livery we have had compared to Network SouthEast which was only around eight years! 

Hopefully the 450 shall sell quickly and Bachmann shall be confident to make different running numbers. 

Note the destination has changed from "Portsmouth and Southsea" to "Waterloo" - I guess wider appeal. Superb livery application, those whooshes are not easy, I did re-spray some Class 350s into 450s and it was a technical challenge to get the whoosh right. The minor livery error, with the warning yellow wrapping around onto the corridor connector can be corrected with a black marker pen. 

Review samples are usual air-freighted into the UK, when the main production run is shipped. Perhaps then only 3-4 weeks or less for ours to arrive?

• Like 2

So true ................. things change - see my post #279

Really looking forward to these, would love to have dived in with an 8-car but funds are split 450 / 4-TC at the mo .................. hopefully will sell like hot cakes - now how about updating that 159 please Mr Bachmann   :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now how about updating that 159 please Mr Bachmann   :sungum:

For that you need to read the ongoing wailing and nashing of teeth (with a couple of conspiracy theories thrown in for good measure) over on the Bachmann 158 thread....

• Like 1

So true ................. things change - see my post #279

Really looking forward to these, would love to have dived in with an 8-car but funds are split 450 / 4-TC at the mo .................. hopefully will sell like hot cakes - now how about updating that 159 please Mr Bachmann   :sungum:

The dream SWT model for me would not only be an updated Class 159 (but what version? Red doors with lower white, full red doors but with cab doors orange or yellow doors?) but a Class 442 Wessex Electric. I have for a while now been suggesting to Oxford Rails to accommodate the 442 in the Mk3 tooling. Only then needs a motor coach! 

I think SWT has been a brand around for donkey years and certainly any model we can get would represent a very long period of time on any ones layout. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The intermediate livery that was concurrent with the 450's would make sense for the 159 but after how slow they sold last time I wouldn't hold your breath.

Are there any pics of the weathered 450 yet?

• RMweb Premium

That looks the absolute dogs! Sadly a 4-car is way out my budget at the moment (let alone a 12-car!) what with the 4TC about to arrive but I'm sure the 450 will be around for a while, and might even see a price reduction in years to come! Lol...

That looks the absolute dogs! Sadly a 4-car is way out my budget at the moment (let alone a 12-car!) what with the 4TC about to arrive but I'm sure the 450 will be around for a while, and might even see a price reduction in years to come! Lol...

We can only hope.

In the meantime, if you are prepared to do some modelling, you could buy one of the £90 LM 350s and some vinyl overlays from Electra Railway Graphics for £35, and create your own class 450 for less than £130 plus your labour.

• Like 1

Incredible to believe the 350 was out late 2011! Six years and finally a 450. I am delighted. I did a few years ago now, get some 350s in a sale for £90, resprayed them and sold them on for £xxx. Certainly proves if you cannot afford new, easy to model! Very enjoyable too - but gosh those whooshes were a nightmare to mask (Ironically the re-sprays paid for my pre-order of the soon to be released 450). Ive got some spare decals somewhere if anyone is interested. 

post-22366-0-78039200-1500078654_thumb.jpg

• Like 3