RMweb

Dapol HST

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gerry,

A quick google suggests several retailers still have various Dapol Mk3s in stock including blue/grey versions; for the HST ideally you want them without buffers.

Dapol have also said in their catalogue that they'll be producing more Mk3s during this year, though they don't mention specific codes and I suspect any further production will be driven by dealer demand - if dealers still have them, it seems pointless making more!

As for buying the HST set or not, it's obviously your call, but I tend to grab things while I can these days because with limited production runs some items seem to sell out quite quickly, and the days of stockists carrying a full, permanent range of products seem to be gone.

I wish I'd acquired more megafrets and GBRf FEA-Bs when they came out - but I think there will be another production run!

cheers

Ben A.

I'm thinking of buying a blue/grey HST book set but I do not have any other carriages to complete a full prototypical HST. Can anyone tell me where I can buy these or are they about to be released? (I obviously won't buy the set without a guarantee of procurring them).

They were released previously. I'm sure they will be easy to source either new, or secondhand as many people bought a full rake before Dapol pulled the rug from under them and cancelled the powercar-only sets. So many will have 2 now going spare.

Cheers,

Alan

It really is a mystery why the dummy doesn't suffer from the glue issue while the motored power car does and I'm wondering if Dapol know what the story is here and if anything can be done about it?

Power cars assembled by one man on production line, dummy cars by another. This is likely, given that you don't wnat to get confused between the numbering on the two cars, plus it's easier to just do one sequence of assembly items, rather than having to remember and switch between two.

One man doesn't know how to glue properly, other one does.

If it's done by machines, still likely to have been done by different machines. One set correctly, one not.

Chris

One man doesn't know how to glue properly, other one does.

Is the dummy car glued at all? Maybe it shouldn't be glued and this is the issue?

Anyway, I hope DapolDave can come back to us soon with a verdict and hopefully better still a solution.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang , The blue grey set was subject to inspection by work mates at control all bar noe are 4mm guys and they all drooled happily no one spotted the glazing issue which It I think shows how minor a problem it really is - a shame perhaps but that is all. for £129 I could not make such a good model.

I too was happy to see roof cowls as an add on - would be good to see as a spare part to upgrade the other market offering.

Roof colour seemed ok and mixed fleet not really noticable - just bring on the TGS and TRSB .

For info modelrail 96 October 2006 has great article on formations and general HST "trivia" .

Next move is to get some Intercity 125 side transfers with the black interiors for 43003 and 004 and do a 1976 orginal set - no need for TGS !

Robert

Next move is to get some Intercity 125 side transfers with the black interiors for 43003 and 004 and do a 1976 orginal set - no need for TGS !

Robert

Let me know if you find these transfers as this is also my intention. I am thinking that as when they came out the coaches were labelled Inter City (no 125) that I might purchase the loco hauled versions of the Mk3s and just remove the buffers and re-number - these are still on sale at Hattons for 9.00 each, quite a bargain.

Chris

Robert

I've lost track of what Mk3's are produced by Dapol, but a 1976 really original WR set will require both types of catering vehicles TRUB and TRFB. I've only seen a few pics of this formation, which were very short lived.

STEVE

• RMweb Premium

I might purchase the loco hauled versions of the Mk3s and just remove the buffers and re-number - these are still on sale at Hattons for 9.00 each, quite a bargain.

Chris

The grey band is slightly narrower on the HST trailers,so a mixed train may look a bit odd.

Not only narrower (with noticeably taller yellow and red bands on First and Catering vehicles) but the grey also ran straight into the black on the ends. On loco hauled stock there was a narrow band of blue with the usual round corners to the grey panel.

I've lost track of what Mk3's are produced by Dapol, but a 1976 really original WR set will require both types of catering vehicles TRUB and TRFB. I've only seen a few pics of this formation, which were very short lived.

STEVE

Sorry to mention it again the original WR sets had a TRSB (400xx) and TRUK (405xx) - both had half the coach with seats. The TRUB/TRFB were the same coach (three seating bays) but the seats were reclassified. The CAD drawings of the Mk3 buffet have had four seating bay windows (actually an RFM) which would look OK-ish for either the TRSB or TRUK.

Hopefully by the time they get to produce a ER 254 in B/G the glue problem will be fixed.

The grey band is slightly narrower on the HST trailers,so a mixed train may look a bit odd.

Are we talking the prototype here, or how Dapol have implemented it, or both?

As I understand it, the Dapol Mk3s have the wrong kind of single roof vent for almost all loco hauleds Mk3s, which had three small vents (like on the HST power car), wherase they are appropriate for production HST coaches.

Chris

I not impressed. Broken in the box and the decoders don't fit and it has a has a scale speed of 75 mph and the roofs look proper odd. Not worth the wait sorry.

Hi Guys, i got a new HST set from Dapol and new all is well, it's running at the correct speed and not broken so i would like to publicly thank Dapoldave and Dapol for sorting this out very quickly.

Thanks Ty

Hi Everyone,

Further to my last post regarding slowish running, I tried my 125 on the club layout on DC and it clocked over 150!, a change to a TCS decoder enabled comaparable running at home on DCC too therefore no operational problems here now, no complaints - well done Dapol.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Are we talking the prototype here, or how Dapol have implemented it, or both?

Both.See Bernards post for more details.

Perhaps if someone owns both types they could post a photo of them together.

Not only narrower (with noticeably taller yellow and red bands on First and Catering vehicles) but the grey also ran straight into the black on the ends. On loco hauled stock there was a narrow band of blue with the usual round corners to the grey panel.

Yes, I see it now. And the "Inter-City" is printed higher up the body than on the Dapol loco hauled stock. Although I am not sure if that is an actual difference between the prorotypes.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon peeps,

Recieved my HST yesterday from Hattons and at first glance all seems ok...need to look at the window under good light though. I have not had a chance to run it yet (can't find any loco oil :rolleyes: ) but first impressions is that it looks to be a very nice model as noted in above posts.

It will replace my old Farish one, which must be getting on for 25 years old now and by way of comparison I took a few side by side shots as attached below. I think it apparent which one is which ;)

It really does show how things have moved on it that time as it seems so much sharper in appearance particularly the front end of the power car.

Hope they are of some use to anyone wondering whether to stick with the old Farish...as I initially was.

post-3290-0-78954500-1307547029_thumb.jpg

Plan view...

post-3290-0-95010500-1307547159_thumb.jpg

Front ends...

post-3290-0-43896200-1307547133_thumb.jpg

Side on...

post-3290-0-51539700-1307547194_thumb.jpg

Three quarter view...

Pete

• Like 3

Good comparison Pete. I wonder how much more the Farish tooling has worn since yours was made?

No doubt a bit. Though it was retooled (at least partly) in the early 1990s to get rid of the moulded inaccurate front headlamps. Plus when Bachmann took over they ran the tooling at higher pressures so it may be that the current Farish models are actually better in terms of fine details compared to the old ones, despite the age of the tooling.

Cheers,

Alan

Wow. Thank you for posting these pictures. I had been seriously considering replacing my Farish set but had to justify spending £129 at Hatton's, or even £108 (since I live in the US and don't pay VAT - but I still have to deal with the weak dollar!). But now that I've seen your pictures I actually don't think I can. The tooling for my BR Blue Farish IC125s are slightly different as mine have roof smoke deflectors as part of the moulding and the headlamps are not glazed but are printed on instead, but otherwise they are pretty much the same as the Farish one in the picture.

While I happily admit the Dapol model has much better modeled bogies and battery box area, is crisper overall, and looks to be the better likeness of the real thing, from what I can see, it does not seem to be £129 better than what I've already got.

I can't believe I'm actually saying I don't need another model. I hope my wife doesn't see this post!

No doubt a bit. Though it was retooled (at least partly) in the early 1990s to get rid of the moulded inaccurate front headlamps. Plus when Bachmann took over they ran the tooling at higher pressures so it may be that the current Farish models are actually better in terms of fine details compared to the old ones, despite the age of the tooling.

Cheers,

Alan

I've got the most recent Farish one (Crosscountry livery), and it's at least as good as the one pictured; rather better in fact. Not up to the standard of the Dapol one by quite a way, though.

Hi all,

Picked up my replacement HST today.

No issues with the lights and grill this time, though the front window has the glue mark but not as bad as the first.

As previous posts mentioned, a bit of weathering should hide it. :paint:

Regardless of the problems, INTERCITY version ordered. :locomotive:

Keith.

Very interesting comparison shots there, thanks for posting.

The Dapol model certainly is excellent (and my pre-order for an InterCity set stands) but the front shot was very illuminating - virtually all the extra detail on the Dapol model can be added to the Farish one using the excellent TPM detailing kit. Whilst I'm sure the new Dapol one will look excellent on the layout (especially with the light bars), I doubt it'll take the place of my Bachmann-Farish-TPM one as my favourite train!