Dapol HST

TomE

Hi

I think Dave has being more than up front with his explanation and it is clear that most is out of Dapols hands and controlled by a 3rd party. The cooler group yes I accept that an extra 10k to satisfy a couple 100 people, I certainly wouldn't.

I'm hoping Dave will be 'up front' enought to come on here and explain the errors over the doors and cooler groups...or at least expand on the reasons why. However, although a little irritating, surely we can pop a bit of silver paint on the doors for ourselves. The cooler groups are a little more taxing in the modelling stakes....but people like ewsjo already show that it can be done.

So it looks like most are not errors after all, and all this complying about this and that being wrong well what can I say ....2 sides to each story.

Perhaps the RRP should be reduced a little to compensate the armchair modellers.

Why? I have purchased 6 so far and I have no problems with livery, running etc so I am happy to pay the price at the shop. I think its a fair price.

Good on Dave for sharing this.

Cheers

Martin

• RMweb Premium

When's the Intercity Executive version due in the shops (ND-122C)?

I've been waiting for this livery to be released since I started modelling in N ten years ago so another few weeks won't hurt. (But it would be nice to know!)

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

The yellow warning panel on the model looks very wierd though - its the wrong shape along the bottom - it should follow the top edge of where old light covers were blanked off -

Jon, Dapol's model is correct for 43 423. There is variation in the shape of the warning panel between power cars. I had to double check this myself!

Jon, Dapol's model is correct for 43 423. There is variation in the shape of the warning panel between power cars. I had to double check this myself!

Hi Simon;

Here's a pic of 43423 from another website. This was it's repaint into the revised GC livery....and I don't think it has been altered since.

Compare with the Dapol finish.

http://www.northwestrailphoto.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pid=467

displayimage.php?album=11&pid=467

Later;

STU from EGDL

Hi Guys;

Thanks to Dave for taking the time and trouble to respond to all of us here on RMWeb about the errors/differences/inconsistencies between the model and the real thing.....

Cooler Groups are a bit of a nightmare....so a conscious decision was made to model one type.......a realistic and prudent approach...wouldn't you say??? Time for some modelling for the dissenting voices.

GC door colour......sounds like a bit of a red herring on the part of GC. Time will tell if they repaint all their doors gold. Remember GNER had both silver and gold logos for a while. And the warning panel and yellow 1st class stripe issues may just be an inadvertent oversight. There are always a few changes from a livery chart to final application on the real thing......

The FGW set is a bit more of an enigma. We have all heard and debated the roof colour issue....and practically, I see that FGW should be painting their roofs black for obvious reasons. However, they never did this initially and the coaches had blue roofs. Dealers choice on that one. The yellow end is rubbish though.....if FGW are so fussy, how did that get accepted???

All the above issues are fairly minor and the average (?) modeller should be able to correct most, if not all the problems to a reasonable degree.

Interesting about the GC set being a poor seller........I found it the most striking version so far!!! Each to their own I suppose!!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

Well done Dapol Dave for responding to issues raised in this thread.

Although I don't have any issues with my Blue Grey set, I can appreciate that everyone has their own agenda/criteria etc.

To be able to have a dialogue with manufacturers through this forum is something incredible and long may it continue :yes:

• Like 2

I only have one issue with my Blue/Grey set - it's missing a coach and the passengers are beginning to revolt because they are so hungry. :D

I only have one issue with my Blue/Grey set - it's missing a coach and the passengers are beginning to revolt because they are so hungry. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I think Dapol Dave's fair, measured and timely response has done him and his company great credit.

The explanations around the cooler group and livery concerns are reasonable and make clear business sense IMO.

As has been said elsewhere, it's great when the internet can foster understanding and respect between those who build and those who buy!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I think Dapol Dave's fair, measured and timely response has done him and his company great credit.

The explanations around the cooler group and livery concerns are reasonable and make clear business sense IMO.

As has been said elsewhere, it's great when the internet can foster understanding and respect between those who build and those who buy!

cheers

Ben A.

Seconded. In the quest for more accurate models, a few appear to have forgotten that rtr stock cannot easily cover all eventualites and variations found in a prototype.

• Like 1

evenin'

I was refering to the warning panel on the FGW model , not the Grand central ones (which look much prettier!)

Jon

Despite being out of my modelling era (which is 1980s), I've just bought a Grand Central HST. I really like the livery and a mate works for them, so I figure rule 1 applies.

Incidentally, I've ordered the 2 coaches to go with it, one of which is #42401, according to the retailer where I've ordered it from. Whilst these coaches haven't arrived yet (therefore there could be a problem with the item description), the standard class coach in the book set is definitely numbered 42401 so I think there might be a problem here.

Oh, and here's a picture of the real thing with what looks like gold doors.

• RMweb Premium

I'm planning to buy a Grand Central HST Set (just a bit skint at the moment). For me they match the area I model, and its the shortest HST formation on the network, so nice to model, as 2 + 6 isn't too long. Its nice to think I can have a HST set, in OO it would be impossible!

yep they are all now to get gold doors. so Dapols version is actually correct. everyone having a go please now eat some very large humble pie and give dave a nice apology. :)

Except those who want to model the trains as they are today, or last week when the models came out., or last month when the doors were definitely silver.

So that's that "issue" solved then.

I'm still tempted to get the GC set, just because the livery is so gorgeous, it's totally wrong for my layout, but I could just claim it's a route learning train for GC's summer excursions to the South... Or something like that!

2011 is proving to be an expensive year for me with all of Dapol's releases!

I'm still tempted to get the GC set, just because the livery is so gorgeous, it's totally wrong for my layout

They are an Open Access operator, technically they can set up anywhere and run anywhere providing they have the licence to do so and feel can make some money from it, so it's your railway and their open access agreement - get one, you know it makes sense.

One more thing for the fgw p/c's - the van window is a one piece panel, with aluminium edging, to the same spec as the cab door windows, not a two piece sliding window. I believe they have run with this for some time but I'm sure people can manage to sort that.

The slot to allow the cooler groups to be topped was I belive only on the non western region sets, which also had tanks in the van for coolant?

As built powercars had three fuel tanks, where the compressor is, the third being removed to allow them to hit 125mph (this is from one of the first engineers at st phillips marsh, so I suspect it's true). The coacjes also having had retention tanks fitted, but again removed for weight reasons ( I belive we still use one or two for oil storage).

BOMAG you obviously didnt look at the photo of one running around now with the standard class doors all painted gold? here it is again.

The doors in that photo look silver to me.

Steve

The doors in that photo look silver to me.

Steve

Look silver to me too...with a liberal coating of brake dust/non retention tank detritus etc....

Surely someone living near the ECML can get a definitive.

Now if you want to know about FGW buffet cars.......

Later;

STU from EGDL...

Look silver to me too...with a liberal coating of brake dust/non retention tank detritus etc....

Surely someone living near the ECML can get a definitive.

There are quite a few other photos (and videos) of GC HSTs on the 'net, taken around the time of this photo, and since then; in all of the others the standard class coach doors are clearly silver (even taking into account my apparently defective eyesight).

Steve

There are quite a few other photos (and videos) of GC HSTs on the 'net, taken around the time of this photo, and since then; in all of the others the standard class coach doors are clearly silver (even taking into account my apparently defective eyesight).

Steve

appears to show a mixed bunch of GC livered trailers. 3x 'TF' (two of which are clearly marked first) & just one TS with silver doors.

All credit to Dapol on this - if GC want the model to have gold doors, it gets gold doors, that's the way it works as to the TOCs these models are a form of advertising. Although having said that, odd how both Dapol and Bachmann gave their CrossCountry Voyagers the 'approved' colour pink, and yet they were completely different from one another.

I have never seen a photo of the train with all gold doors however, so to me it is presently inacurate. I would imagine that GC intend to make all their doors gold in the near future, but its a shame, as I was tempted by this model, but will now steer clear until/if the real train actually looks like this

David