RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

So today's big question is - who will the Russian fans get behind after 5pm today when there's no longer any local interest.......?

You don’t think the referees will disallow a couple of Spanish goals and give the Russians a couple of dodgy penalties then?

Perhaps the Putin will be in the VAR room.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You don’t think the referees will disallow a couple of Spanish goals and give the Russians a couple of dodgy penalties then?

Putin doesn't need to be in the room. Not everyone relishes the idea of a few years in Siberia.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Or to Ronaldo! How many times it cut to him for no apparent reason last night was ridiculous...

Now hopefully we won’t have to suffer the daily 10 articles about him on the sports page of the Mail Online. Edited by kopite

I think today's matches may be a bit like "after the Lord Mayor's Show" with yesterday's pair of belting matches being a hard act to follow.

It's more difficult for me to get excited about today's matches as I don't have any feelings of irrational dislike, envy, prejudice or jealousy about any of today's teams, which I had for all of yesterday's teams to some degree.

Still football is a funny old game and anything can happen......

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you could be right about the penalties. Don't think I have ever seen one awarded for having the ball headed against your hand from behind.

Surprised that he awarded the Spanish goal. I was expecting him to penalise Ramos for making it look like the deferder had thrown him over.

Spain get their just desserts after 45 minutes of fairly pointless arrogant tiki taka football with little attacking intent - 3 goal attempts to Russia's 5.

It doesn't make any sense to me not to try for a second goal to seal the match instead of taking your foot off the gas almost completely.

Still I'm sure Spain should be able to play with a bit more positive intent in the second half.

Edited by cary hill

A thirty minute extension to this borefest.......if only Spain would take a risk like trying a cross or shot instead of being scared stiff of losing the ball.

I haven't missed much whilst I've been out on the horse, then

• RMweb Gold

ABC Guide to Argentine Football Tactics.

Plan A - Get the ball to Messi

Plan B - Repeat Plan A

Plan C - If plan B doesn't work get the ball to Messi

France guide to Messi - get Ngolo Kante to harass him out of the game.

• Like 1