Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

A pity to have let in that late goal (after a world class save by Pickford).

Sweden only played 90 mins and not a lot of time for recovery.

I don't know the exact figures, but having watched both matches, I would surmise Sweden covered about half of the distance England did, in what was a very pedestrian match.

4 days is plenty of time for recovery these days.

Mike.

How long would Neymar have been writhing on the ground if he had been head-butted on the chin? Perhaps we are naive. If the England player had gone down, the VAR panel might have had a look.

He did. It was Lingard who drew the Ref's attention to it.

Not the ideal way to go through, admittedly, but at least the ghost of Penalty Shoot-outs Past has been laid to rest, and that might do more for the team's confidence than the rest of their games put together.

Edit: All of England's penalties this time were on target, too - just that one was saved (a good save at that). Columbia hit the bar with one. In past shoot-outs, the last England man usually missed the target completely.

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

........They are all clever enough not to think they can just walk away with the cup.........

I wish you could say the same about the media.

Back to their old ways all of a sudden. The commentator on ITV was guilty a few times too.

This morning many seem to have found the car flags so readily discarded last time.

• RMweb Gold

One surprising fact emerged after Harry Kane's penalty.  Despite all the doom and gloom about penalty shoot outs, England have never failed to score from the penalty spot in 60 years, for penalties awarded during normal time.

• Like 1

I wish you could say the same about the media.

Back to their old ways all of a sudden. The commentator on ITV was guilty a few times too.

This morning many seem to have found the car flags so readily discarded last time.

Yep - the BBC is back to being the EBC for the duration, and they wonder why Scots want England to lose....

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep - the BBC is back to being the EBC for the duration, and they wonder why Scots want England to lose....

I think the Scots could manage that without the help of the BBC ;)

I think my heart rate has now returned to normal. The second half of extra time came as a pleasant surprise as we actually had a go but then when Henderson missed his penalty.......

No team has shown they are streets ahead yet and I've a feeling the eventual winner may well be the weakest winner ever.

• RMweb Gold

I think my heart rate has now returned to normal. The second half of extra time came as a pleasant surprise as we actually had a go but then when Henderson missed his penalty.......

No team has shown they are streets ahead yet and I've a feeling the eventual winner may well be the weakest winner ever.

Not spectacular perhaps - but not weak. I don't think I have ever seen a Brazil team defend so well and France look very capable everywhere especially midfield.

• RMweb Premium

How much time does the SBC, devote to the Scotland team at he World Cup?

• RMweb Gold

How much time does the SBC, devote to the Scotland team at he World Cup?

No one knows - they haven't been there in living memory :no:

.....and Scotland are living in Dreamland!  2m 06s

Edited by Metr0Land

No one knows - they haven't been there in living memory :no:

.....and Scotland are living in Dreamland! 

Living memory?? - I can remember when we were there during the long lean years when Ingerland failed to qualify - 1974 (West Germany) and 1978 (Argentina although we would like not to have a memory of that one :O ), then again in 1982, 86, 90 and 98!

• RMweb Gold

Germany fail to qualify for knock-out stagesEngland win on penaltiesBachman retool GWR ManorI guess it's unreasonable for an adult to be granted all 3 wishes?

I'm a genie not a miracle worker.

Someone earlier mentioned the rather bias crowd last night which didn't really seem to represent the true numbers of Colombia fans at the game. I commented on the noise to my German host and he said that the German commentators had said that there was an army or similar Base nearby and they'd been told to get Colombia shirts and support them.

I don't know if it's true but the Germans have no axe to grind so there could be some truth in it.

Do the Laws of the Game allow for retro-active issuing of yellow cards for simulation?  I'd like to see one for bad acting, too.  In the 1950's I remember the crowd at Birmingham City shouting, "Give him an Oscar, ref."  

My Scottish other half is somewhat fed up with the OTT media coverage of last night and I can see her point. In the event of England actually winning, she might need to emigrate to get away from the resultant hysteria.

steve

My Scottish other half is somewhat fed up with the OTT media coverage of last night and I can see her point. In the event of England actually winning, she might need to emigrate to get away from the resultant hysteria.

Well, I suppose Scotland's not too far away to, er, "emigrate" to....

Mark Geiger -

After his performance as the referee in Columbia v. England, he should be sent home to the US and given MSL matches to referee.  Why does FIFA entrust such high level matches to people who may know the rules off by heart but cannot control at this level?    

• RMweb Premium

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44716774

It is sad to see Maradona fall so far. Years of drugs, booze and adoration of past glories (effectively giving him carte blanche to say whatever, usually before engaging brain) means he is nothing more than a laughing stock nowadays. Giving the finger after Argentina won against Nigeria and now his convenient amnesia when it come to 'robbery' when it comes to football, kind of sums him up really! 

• RMweb Premium

Mark Geiger -

After his performance as the referee in Columbia v. England, he should be sent home to the US and given MSL matches to referee.  Why does FIFA entrust such high level matches to people who may know the rules off by heart but cannot control at this level?    

He has been pillared by the Colombian media, and the English media weren't too complimentary either. To quote Calvin and Hobbes 'a good compromise leaves everyone mad'!

• Like 1