RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a fantastic performance by the 'Millers'!

1-1 against Charlton - ok Charlton scored all the goals, but hey, the underdog's fans got something to cheer and they have earned a replay at home.

(Realistically, probably the best result they could have hoped for.)

Well done lads.

Kev.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Hobby said:

Stick microphones on refs like they have in Rugby, if they knew their rants would be heard I doubt they'd be as vocal.

Has been done long before VAR, Never published as deemed unfit for broadcasting due to excessive foul language, apparently the ref swore more than the players

The trouble is in a growing number of matches even VAR is getting it wrong, either in its decisions of failing to call something to the ref's attention 

The Newcastle's goal should not have stood, firstly the ball is clearly out looking at the amount of grass between the base of the ball and line. But they could not draw the lines, secondly they also could not see when the exact moment the ball was played to the player who scored. Clearly during that short period the player was off side. Thirdly clearly the attacker had two hands on the defenders back.

The official reason by the VAR team was that there was inconclusive proof to overturn the ref's decision. It could equally be stated that there was no conclusive proof, the ball was in play, no proof that the player was on side and as for two hands pushing the player, apparently the VAR assistant could not judge whether it was hard enough !!  Looking at the Man U game last weekend the merest glance was judged sufficient to change the Refs initial decision

Then yet again for the third if not fourth week poor old Wolves have suffered decisions leading to goals, where on reflection they were found to be wrong

I am a fan of VAR, but it is suffering more and more poor decisions. I think the managers are getting fed up with the current level of performance over the past few weeks.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of observations.

1) Why is so much ignored despite VAR? Everton’s two against Burnley, first goal he ploughed through the defence knocking the keeper over together with so much jostling and shirt pulling. The second a blatent, ignored, offside when the kick was taken. Not a Burnley fan specifically but they got robbed of a point.

2) Managers bleating about too many games when their clubs choose to enter extra overseas matches that are meaningless to the majority of fans of other clubs. A viscous circle of chasing the money in Europe etc., then complaining  about the extra games! Latest Man City.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67753483.

Edited by john new
Punctuation.
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

31 minutes ago, john new said:

1) Why is so much ignored despite VAR? Everton’s two against Burnley, first goal he ploughed through the defence knocking the keeper over together with so much jostling and shirt pulling. The second a blatent, ignored, offside when the kick was taken. Not a Burnley fan specifically but they got robbed of a point.

2) Managers bleating about too many games when their clubs choose to enter extra overseas matches that are meaningless to the majority of fans of other clubs. A viscous circle of chasing the money in Europe etc., then complaining  about the extra games! Latest Man City.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67753483.

Because they have to play them in them or they get kicked out of the Champions League. No choice whatsoever in playing in them as it's a legal obligation. By winning the Champions League you are representing UEFA.

Remember Man United couldn't play in the FA Cup one year as it clashed? I'm pretty sure that even Fergie wanted to play in the FA Cup rather than travel to the other side of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_FIFA_Club_World_Championship

Who cares about other clubs and their fans though? Maybe if that team was any good they would be playing in it!

Jason

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Because they have to play them in them or they get kicked out of the Champions League. No choice whatsoever in playing in them as it's a legal obligation. By winning the Champions League you are representing UEFA.

Remember Man United couldn't play in the FA Cup one year as it clashed? I'm pretty sure that even Fergie wanted to play in the FA Cup rather than travel to the other side of the world.

Who cares about other clubs and their fans though? Maybe if that team was any good they would be playing in it!

Jason

I absolutely love these competitions, I hope the Club World Cup will one day really get properly noticed around the world!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I don’t disagree with what you say; conversely though, big club big ambitions yes, but don’t bleat about too many matches as it is your organisation that has decided it wants to chase that pinnacle. I get it when teams unexpectedly end a season with loads of games to fit in due to postponements earlier or a cup run (that filters right down to even the localist of leagues) but if the pot hunters haven’t built a big enough squad to cater for what they want to win don’t blame the fixture planners. 

The one thing that I can sympathise with fixture wise is that game scheduled for Christmas Eve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, john new said:

John

In the Chelsea game with Newcastle there was no VAR, could it be that the league cup does not have VAR?

I think its the players and managers who are complaining, but its the authorities and club owners/directors that agree extra games

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I thought that there's a limit to squad size no matter how "big" they are?

True. Why I don't like the too many games argument is that at the start of a season the number of potential games is known, if they choose to fully go for doubles and trebles the outcome is foreseeable. Teams can lose , or at least not strive too hard to win, on purpose, for example by playing the fringe players in the lesser cups. 

My home town lower league club went out of the FA Cup I think because they just weren't good enough via a defensive error and failure to shoot straight in the chances they had. The Trophy though they played a set of fringe players who proved why they are fringe - they got giant killed!

Last night's Chelsea win - did Newcastle throw it as they have a long injury list? Probably not but then again a conspiracist could say defensively excellent all game until stoppage time and then a header to one of the Chelsea forwards. Come the penalties somewhat wayward shooting! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, john new said:

True. Why I don't like the too many games argument is that at the start of a season the number of potential games is known, if they choose to fully go for doubles and trebles the outcome is foreseeable. Teams can lose , or at least not strive too hard to win, on purpose, for example by playing the fringe players in the lesser cups. 

My home town lower league club went out of the FA Cup I think because they just weren't good enough via a defensive error and failure to shoot straight in the chances they had. The Trophy though they played a set of fringe players who proved why they are fringe - they got giant killed!

Last night's Chelsea win - did Newcastle throw it as they have a long injury list? Probably not but then again a conspiracist could say defensively excellent all game until stoppage time and then a header to one of the Chelsea forwards. Come the penalties somewhat wayward shooting! 

John  

No VAR in whatever the league cup is called

Firstly we all want the likes of the Champions and Europa cup games and the league format in the early stages is favoured seemingly by all.  But the likes of the World club cup is looked down on in this country.

As for squad sizes. smaller clubs refuse to increase these as it would give larger clubs an advantage. As for injuries, players are getting fitter but are having to work harder/ The length of games are getting longer as more injury time is being given. on the plus side more substitutes are allowed.

Should we have as many games at Christmas ? In January loads of African players will be away at the African Nations cup  Most Prem clubs are loosing 2/3 players for a month or so. Players are getting suspended totting up too many Yellow cards.  Arsenal have 3 or 4 long term injured.  It all adds up and at every club players are injured, 

As for Newcastle having a large injury list, I think Chelsea have the same or more injured, they even gave a player they brought in the summer a debut as he got injured pre season

Yes its all in the pursuit of money . Smaller clubs need it to survive larger clubs to compete with the financial giants of Europe

But Rugby is in a similar situation, as players get bigger and fitter injuries increase. Salary caps affect larger clubs etc. Added to this rugby needs a longer reoccupation period between matches.

West Ham and Liverpool tonight are resting some players like Newcastle, they see both the Premier league far more important 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, john new said:

I don’t disagree with what you say; conversely though, big club big ambitions yes, but don’t bleat about too many matches as it is your organisation that has decided it wants to chase that pinnacle. I get it when teams unexpectedly end a season with loads of games to fit in due to postponements earlier or a cup run (that filters right down to even the localist of leagues) but if the pot hunters haven’t built a big enough squad to cater for what they want to win don’t blame the fixture planners. 

The one thing that I can sympathise with fixture wise is that game scheduled for Christmas Eve.

I remember in 2002/03 my team, Sheffield United, played 61 (from memory) matches and I don't remember anybody complaining.

How many are the hard done to PL teams, ie, Man City likely to play this season?

Mike.

• Like 2

20/21 71 matches

21/22 62

22/23 65

Looks like 55 this season. Only played 41 in 2002/3, no cup runs!! ;)

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/manchester-city/21/

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/sheffield-united/21/

I suppose it depends on how far a team gets in the various cups and how many "extra" tournaments there are.

It's also worth bearing in mind the number of international matches there are as well, as mentioned by someone else, for a top team those matches will affect them more than the lower teams as a larger percentage of the squad will be called up for international duty. When the managers of the top teams complain it isn't just about the matches their teams are playing but all the extras, isn't there some more extra matches planned for international tournaments this year as well? To be fair I think they've got a valid point, the players are played large sums by their club to play for the club and are expected to risk injury and health in an international that is often pointless but puts at risk the domestic campaign.

It's all about money, though, those extra matches fetch in money for the governing bodies but not necessarily for the club and certainly the opposite for the fan. Just like F1!

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...