Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

you know as much as i do mick!

platform end wibble and froth would suggest colas are having it but then again we are also having the dollands moor 37s too apparently and we have the contract to dig out the straegic reserve from box tunnel, so said my boss, lord lucan who shouted it to me from shergar as he rode past heading to atlantis

..........so i've heard!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

you know as much as i do mick!

platform end wibble and froth would suggest colas are having it but then again we are also having the dollands moor 37s too apparently and we have the contract to dig out the straegic reserve from box tunnel, so said my boss, lord lucan who shouted it to me from shergar as he rode past heading to atlantis

..........so i've heard!

And Elvis is a Colas driver...........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

And Elvis is a Colas driver...........

Cheers,

Mick

The rumour mill - on other places - seems to favour a Black / Yellow / Orange livery for 70099 but time will be a telling.

• Like 1

47727 is collecting (allegedly) 70099 from Eastleigh this morning and taking it to Cardiff Canton.

Hope to be at Eastleigh later for a pic or two.

Much to the disappointment of my lads!

Edited by pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold

i spotted that on my daily sheet, its going out as 0Z47 but coming back as 0Z66, there is a colas 66 there so dont be surprised if that comes back and not a 70!

nice if it does go there though as im in canton tomorrow!

• RMweb Gold

70099 was in the consist but think it went early!!! So cant confirm the livery!

10:54 departure time - 3 minutes early. Assume livery hasn't changed (yet!) as there is no frothing over it.

• RMweb Gold

Good assumption beast. Ive just seen a picture of it passing warminster. Its still green. Im not so annoyed now as I was hoping to see it in a new colour sceme.

Cheers

Scott

When it leaves Cardiff it will probably be more colourful

• RMweb Gold

Had a good look over 70099 yesterday in cardiff, all the warning stickers on it are all in turkish!!

Looks like it needs a bit i work to get it ready to run, not to mention repainting

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

so many buttons!!

if i remember right 70009 is one of the first batch which does not have a traditional battery switch as such so when you prep or dispose of the loco you have to trip out all of the MCBs on that panel

i am actually looking forward to getting my hands on 099 when its out and about, i have been on one before in service, not driving but it had 2000+ tons behind it and it moved it with ease, gonna be interesting to compare it to the 56s or 66s if it appears on the logs 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These black panels look like something out of an old telephone exchange!

Keith

no, thats far too high tech

looking in the electrical cabinet yesterday there is a massive electrical blade switch which i would assume to be the battery switch, i have visions of me throwing the switch and shouting "ITS ALIVE" a'la boris carlov!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

no, thats far too high tech

looking in the electrical cabinet yesterday there is a massive electrical blade switch which i would assume to be the battery switch, i have visions of me throwing the switch and shouting "ITS ALIVE" a'la boris carlov!!

When I had a wander around 70005 a couple of years back (with permission!), there was a marked contrast between the computer screens and the Frankenstein-esque master switch that Jim describes. Being US built, it has a weird DC mains voltage - something like 85v.

The build quality looked marginally better than a 66.....................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Being US built, it has a weird DC mains voltage - something like 85v dc

66s have a 74V dc supply with an emerican type socket, the same as a 66, handy for charging phones up with an american adapter fitted

Edited by big jim

• 3 weeks later...

is it possible that I caught of glimpse of this loco (70099) heading east to west along the hope valley line yesterday morning about 11:30 (the 28th) double heading with a class 60 in DB red?... it was a fair distance away and I only managed a glimpse between trees.

Edited by peak experience

is it possible that I caught of glimpse of this loco (70099) heading east to west along the hope valley line yesterday morning about 11:30 (the 28th) double heading with a class 60 in DB red?... it was a fair distance away and I only managed a glimpse between trees.

No that would have been a DBS class 66, the 60 was 60001 on a test run from Toton to Peak Forest and back after overhaul.

• Like 1