Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

to those who have done or are planning on repainting a colas 70, when they arrive i'll get the rest of the dimensions for the decals measured up and send them to precision decals to complete the set

the reason they are not in the current decal pack is when i went to measure up 70801 a few months back all the decals were in turkish!

• Like 2

Yes that'd be good, I'll add those later as and when! 

Surprised 803/5 have appeared first, but hey ho. 

The extra air/cooling intake will no doubt appear from Shawplan in due course, as it's an essential for repaints unless you scratch build a pair. 

Also, for those looking to repaint a 70 . . theres a very high chance the windscreen will shatter or crack on removal. Out of 5 models I stripped down, only two screens came out intact no matter what I did, glue remover and much faffing about etc. So I gave Brian @ Shawplan a spare cab and he's now made some lazerglaze windscreens for those of us who encounter this problem. They fit spot on and look better than the originals. Simply push fit from the outside, no glue required. 

• Like 2

Very nice - but (apologies for being picky mode) the little triangular extension below the cab side should be black.......

Cheers,

Mick

Yes it should, not noticed that! Would appear these have been painted after the information I had. The branding position has altered very slightly to the left too by one letter, presumably to remove the distortion from the letter G over the main panel gaps. The H being better suited to the irregular surface.

• RMweb Premium

Also, for those looking to repaint a 70 . . theres a very high chance the windscreen will shatter or crack on removal. Out of 5 models I stripped down, only two screens came out intact no matter what I did, glue remover and much faffing about etc. So I gave Brian @ Shawplan a spare cab and he's now made some lazerglaze windscreens for those of us who encounter this problem. They fit spot on and look better than the originals. Simply push fit from the outside, no glue required. 

After trying to remove mine, I gave up and used masking tape and maskol.......

Cheers,

Mick

Funnily enough the two windows that came out intact were the last two removed, after I'd had the replacements commissioned by Brian. So I was really rough with them and gave them a good careless shove through with the idea of breaking them.  they just popped out! 

• RMweb Gold

brilliant news

must admit the first thing that struck me looking at the model was the windscreen rather than the repaint, it looked different (and 100% better) but i couldn't put my finger on why!

i'll give brian a ring for a set later on

i'd not noticed the black triange either, got to get the paint out to do under the windows anyway

i'll measure up the cooling fan when i get my mitts on the real thing too

• RMweb Premium

Just to show that the 70's on flatbeds are small compared to some US trains....

Cheers,

Mick

I think that was always the problem with us being "first" with railways.

Maybe our rail pioneers thought it would be big enough.......

Brunel aside!

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 1

thats was strange....I clicked on the link and took me to the OP back in 2009.

Unknown to me I thought hmm im sure FL 70003 was already in the UK not Ohio.

And now Colas 70's?

Im a little behind on modern traction i take it.

Jack

none of the class 70s (fl or colas) are buckeye fitted, not much point as the wagons are not fitted either!

Thanks for the response. That would explain it, although I would have thought that most new stock would be buckeye fitted - unless that is just a DB thing.

Thanks for the response. That would explain it, although I would have thought that most new stock would be buckeye fitted - unless that is just a DB thing.

EWS were the only operator to specify buckeyes on the 66s (and 67s), enabling them to work with buckeye only coal hoppers (HTA). The BYA steel carriers have swinghead buckeyes, and the MBA/MCA monster boxes have a combination of both. I guess it was the US influence of the owning company at the time they were ordered?

As for the Colas 70, the livery has grown on me. I prefer it to the swoopy curvey lines Freightliner mess and I'm looking forward to seeing the "citrus" 70s in the flesh. The black upper body also helps make the black light surround look more natural on the design

jo