Next batch of Class 70's

The build quality looked marginally better than a 66.....................

Cheers,

Mick

Ah, but are they fitted with the fully extended leg RH boot rest on the console that I saw being tested thru' Newbury this morning, (not giving the loco number just in case it gets someone in tepid water)................... :no:

• RMweb Gold

70s in Colas livery?

I gotta see this!

its gonna look the the 'biz from the "artist concept" drawings i have seen

i already have a Bachmann one sprayed up from the painting spec sheets but i have been told by my boss (and his boss) to keep it under wraps until the real thing is officially unveiled

• Like 4

heh CC.. thanks for the reply .. how did you acquire the info please? is there somewhere online available to mere mortals to obtain such gen? regards.

The WNXX latest news page (Subscription only) has had all the info on 60 001 test runs (and photos) and 70 099 being at Cardiff plus this forum has had more of the same, it just needs a bit of fishing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

looking on wnxx someone has commented its off to landore at some point soon, the path is in the system

wonder what its going there for?

Apparently it's already at Landore. You're the Colas man - someone's not keeping you up to date..... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

thought i'd found a video of it on test.........

Ha! Yep, typical "Trash 9" GE junk right there! :sarcastichand:

If I had a quid for every time Ive seen or heard about this happening with GE stuff, I'd have enough for a Loksound sound decoder for one of my SD70's by now! :stinker:

• RMweb Premium

Ha! Yep, typical "Trash 9" GE junk right there! :sarcastichand:

If I had a quid for every time Ive seen or heard about this happening with GE stuff, I'd have enough for a Loksound sound decoder for one of my SD70's by now! :stinker:

It's interesting that the major railroads in the US seem to think the same.  There is a big industry rebuilding old locos with new microprocessor controls and upgrading the engines to sort out emissions.   All of them seem to be old EMD's.   Union Pacific have rebuilt at least 250 SD40-2's to SD40N which is actually a dash3 standard but they are busy getting rid of younger dash 8 and dash 9 GE's.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

It's interesting that the major railroads in the US seem to think the same.  There is a big industry rebuilding old locos with new microprocessor controls and upgrading the engines to sort out emissions.   All of them seem to be old EMD's.   Union Pacific have rebuilt at least 250 SD40-2's to SD40N which is actually a dash3 standard but they are busy getting rid of younger dash 8 and dash 9 GE's.

Jamie

I'd put money on the EMD SD40-2 and its sub classes  (for want of a better term)  as possibly the most successful diesel locomotive of all time.

Don't think there's been anything to match it for longevity and durability save perhaps a GP9 maybe, which funnily enough is another EMD!

They still have GP9's and SD9's and their similar later models running around in America that are getting close to 60 years old.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to off-thread but why didn't. they 1 - Turn it off? and 2 - Move the rest of the train away?

steve

Through turbo failure which is normally the cause on these big GE's, the engine basicly runs off its own lube oil being pumped in through the knackered and seized turbo bearrings.

A diesel being a compression ignition engine will run on nearly anything like oil etc. If it runs away, there aint a lot you can do about it unless you want to try and plug the inlet with something which is very risky on a 140 ish Litre diesel engine running flat out!

I had an email from a guy a couple of years back that showed some pictures of a GE power unit that had ejected a complete cylinder and piston assembly clean through the roof of the loco. It travelled through the air, down through the roof of a house. Part of the piston ended up in the owners plaster board wall inside the house whilst the 'power assembly' ended up in the garden!

Edited by Gary H