The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Sean,

A suggestion for the cantrail grille holes - make a template in 15 thou.", then fiddle with each hole until it exactly matches the template. I've used the method in N, so it does work. And the process does include filling where I've filed out too much the first time!

Hi Sean,

I'll see if I can find an example in my 'bits' pile. The problem then would be to find a matching hole as I don't have the masters I made using them to hand. I started doing this after I had an unfortunate time making glazing for an early run of my 4mm Mk.3 Cavalier and found the windows each side were embarrassingly different! Part of it involves regularly holding the whole up to the light while between trying to ease the hole out until the template fits without leaving chinks of light. For the pillars I'd suggest making very careful measurements to find the average thickness, then cut a slot from similar thickness plasticard and using it like a reverse feeler gauge, but you will need to start at one end, make the holes to fit the template for the first, then do the pillar, then the next hole, etc. Hence the accurate measurement so that cumulatively they finish in the right place.

Of course, even with all this, hand-building won't get to the machine accuracy of modern CAD tooling, but if you're building a model of a 1960s or '70s prototype, the chances are the real think won't be as accurate as that either!

All the best,

Bernard

This loco is a bit of a labour of love really, and I should really be saying enough is enough and make do with the previous attempt. My problem is that it will grate on me until I do something about it. In honesty though, I think the method I've been using might come to an early end. I was cautious enough to buy two Silver Fox bodies when I did the original one, so I might have a rethink about what to do. I have a spare body also, so I have options, but is it time to say this one's beaten me?

A labour of love... aren't they all. You know I've been there... and with help from the buds on here I was able to pull through. However, what you'e attemtping is way beyond my attempts ... but don't let it get to you... as you say, have a break and come back tomorrow - dawn's early light might show things differently.

I had a break this evening and took my eldest son to a lecture at work, which was being given by Richard Noble on the Bloodhound. NOW there is a project to hopefully enthuse a generation - that's the plan, and I hope it works - by golly we're gonna need to fill the dearth of engineers that this country is going to experience very soon. When I was a kid we had concorde, vulcans, harriers, starfighters the blackbird and phantoms and lightnings (and Deltics of course ;) ) to fill us with awe...and make us say - I wanna build one of those.... what do we have now, yes that's the problem. Bloddhound maybe isn't total the solution, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

A break from modelling anyway. Time for a hot drink and bed... t'was birthday yesterday and age is creeping up on me.

Hope you're fully revived tomorrow to tackle the problems afresh; you know where we are when you want us.

Jon

...Come on HT. Surely there's nothing on Deltic left to ponder is there?

I still have issues with the depth/height of the noses, though Brian Hanson's pair of bodyshells goes a long way towards explaining where I have to extend things, whilst shaving back on others.

I'll come back to the ProtoDeltic once I've sorted out the hybrid V2 body.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean, no disrespect to your modelling methods meant at all, I have a similar outlook (have you seen my 'Tinsley Twins' thread in detailing & modifying section, that was a bit of a hatchet job! :jester: ), when something needs doing go for it, no matter what, and I think we're all learning something here. Keep up the good work.

Cheers Phil.

• RMweb Premium

No problem Sean, I knew it was TIC I should have added a few more smileys in my post :no: . Incidently when you were doing your 37s you mentioned using lamp iron strip for the nose end steps, I've seen this somewhere (is it etched?) where did you get it? Looks like a good solution to making them. My 37 took a back seat before Xmas in favour of a sudden inrush of, dare I say kettles!! :O .

Cheers Phil.

All looking interesting Sean. Glad that progress is being made and a good idea with the templates... if the drawings are accurate.

Yes, original deltics were in BRM... written quite a while ago. I was intending to do another based on blog entries but it didn't "hang" so need to start again. Also battling a Bach 47 conversion... and now changing prototype due to Mike's (enterprising Western) glee at telling me that the cant rail grills were different on the first generators !!!! Isn't it annoying frustrating when someone points out another difference that you'd not spotted before - and then it's obvious. Just don't get him and Brian started on the Bach 37 either! Yikes. So much for an easy conversion eh!

Watching with interest.

Jon

I did like reading about your Deltics in print, you must have been very proud. I'm sure you won't mind me saying though that your most recent effort was much better in its detail. Very inspiring.

Thanks Sean, I agree... that the detail's better. Have a look at the Watford model show pages (last weekend) and you'll see some images were posted - 2nd page. My Nimbus got a short run on Portchullin

As for the 47s, my focus is the FP based ones.. in TOPS days - look at the cant rail grills on 47400 - 47410 (402) and at your model. See ? Then look at 47414 and subs and these are ok (but check tanks). I might opt for something in the range 411-418 which look ok at the moment.

Oh, and if you want a diversion, check out this thread on the fastest deltics .

Yup... too tired to model ... just a little more browsing on here - don't trust myself with anything too sharp tonight... tiring day!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for info Sean, shawplan order coming up I think. As for kettles my planned future layout of Woodhouse (exGCR), which will be Mk.3, did not change much between 1950 & 1970!! :sungum: so with a little modeller's licence there's plenty of scope where locos & rolling stock are concerned.

Happy cutting & shuttin' ,

cheers Phil.

Hello Sean,

have you tried your profile gauge against the side of the Backman? body sides. Just to see if there's much in the shape. As you will want them all to look the same profile.

It's starting to take shape now.

OzzyO.

Hi all.

Well, while debate is ongoing over on the Heljan DP2 thread, I've marked out the window apertures on my version.

Having looked closely at available pictures of DP2, (I've been busy on ebay.....), I feel that the cooler group grill at number one end needs to be a little deeper. Its lower edge appears to be just below the lower edge of the cab door, around the top third of the kick plate. All the holes are now cut but there is quite a bit of tidying going to be required.

I'll post another picture once this is done and the first side is then completed.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean, you know, if you cleaned that up a bit, it'd make a lovely deltic :blum_mini: .

Seriously though... definately progressing. I think this is the simplist way to go rather than trying to correct the Heljan DPsomething.

Jon

Very good Sean. I didn't expect it to look this good... but it looks as though it'll look "right". Blimey. Is that a resin nose section joined to the Bach body as it's a little different in shape around the bonnet area (looks better imho).

I'll go and have a lie down now... bait well and truly taken.

Jon

Wow, 10 minutes Jon, that's quick, even for an entusiastic chap such as yourself! :sungum:

"You are being watched OO" ....

ah, you're probably too young for the Mysterons.

Your just caught me online at lunch.... looks good! And yes, were's the fun in finding an easy way

I think the carnal cock up I've made with my Silver Fox DP2 is the engine room windows. I've opened out the moulded ones and filed individual windows to fit but the apertures are not identical and the Shawplan frames don't fit. I'm undecieded wether to just build it and see how it looks or bin it!

Archived