The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks good mate. I think you should offer to do a 'workshop' at Hobby Holidays (you'd get paid for that!!) - I'd be glad to help (no fee, just cake).

I'm teetering on the brink of getting some fan grilles and things and doing my first Diesel detailing bash(es)

:P

Cheers Phil @ 36E

Phil, the fan grills are nice... delicate and caused me a little experimentation to fit... but they do look so much better... and fitting them will not result in much of a need for a repaint. well worth it my opinion. Hmmm... I didn't stop there though did I :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, this pairing turned up back at the ranch.....I'm still not convinced that the lower chevron on the Bachmann body is correct, though.

I don't think that it's the bottom chevron that's wrong, it's all the front end that's wrong. The top chevron should be in a line just under the cab side windows, as should be the E.E. name plate ( the bottom of the E.E. name plate should be in line with the bottom of the side window). The apex of the bottom of the bottom chevron should be approx. on the C/L of the side marker lights.

OzzyO.

.....H/T, glad you've checked back in, thought you'd given up?.....:laugh: What's your intention with the two new bodies?....

The bodies are the property of Brian Hanson, and it's interesting to see that much of the modification that I've done so far to mine has already been done on his! And then he's added quite a bit more!

I am taking loads of photos and measurements of both the Kitmaster and the Bachmann bodies. I think even the Bachmann body has an error but only in respect of the size and shape of the chevrons on the nose ends..

When and where is it?

Click here

Just had a thought re your front chevrons, (might do this when I do mine?). If the discussion re their thickness was correct and we can get away without using raised beading, can you not just cut the chevrons in half where the two sides meet and trim them to a different angle, or am I oversimplifying things?.....

I'm going to shave all the moulded nose chevrons off. The Fox transfers set look virtually correct, and the bottom one is closer to the steep "V" than even the Bachmann interpretation.

The fake headlight is also going to be cut back and reshaped. Looking at both the Bachmann body, and Brian's effort which predates it by about six years, it's clear that there's loads of filler that needs to be applied to the Kitmaster nose and shaped to suit.

The really big job will be the windscreens. On Brian's Kitmaster shell, he has made new windscreens from scratch in styrene (the Kitmaster ones are just wrong), and shaped these to the distinctive curved "ship's bow" , with the roof also shaped to match. God only knows how I'm going to replicate all that, but I've got to have a go at it.

Hi Phil, (and everyone else above).

Thanks for your comments. What's this Hobby Holidays then? Never heard of that....:unsure: As Jon said, you should have yourself a go. It's how I started out and everyone knows the big blue boxes are easier than the kettles..... He heh. Seriously, if you picked up one of the better Bachmann or Hornby offerings, (class 50?) there's little for you to get wrong as they need so little detailing.

H/T, glad you've checked back in, thought you'd given up?.....:laugh: What's your intention with the two new bodies?

Jon, I've just seen your latest Deltic in undercoat. There are some steps on each solebar corner, are they Shawplan? I have some on the 50 etch, but they're not the correct pattern for DP2.....

Hi S.A.C, nice to catch up again, I'll have to check in on what you're up to. I've left all things steamy for the while - the L1 and K1 left me all steamed out! :laugh:

As regards DP2, SHE'S FINISHED - well, save for the fan grille and the roof mounted air horns. All the etches are added and I'm very impressed with their quality. Since I've been on picture overload with DP2 though, I'll wait while this work is done before putting another picture of the finished model up.

That'll be it then for a while as the wedding draws near and so if I start something else, I'll never sort out the final plans! :yes: The split headcode Deltic now has two cabs and all the requisite parts for the front end, so I reckon a poll on livery will have to be started while I'm away! Another thing, what numbers and names would they have had? Or shall I just work on the theory that there would still have been 22, just built a year or so earlier?

Oh the excitement!.....B)

Cheers.

Sean.

Your wedding Sean..? The steps are from shawplan Brian's Extreme Etchings range - EEDP55-06 Class 55 Bufferbeam footsteps - I probably blogged something a while back.

Scaleforum... I'll be there!B)

Aye.

I know it's hard to believe that I've got this far on in life, but I'm soon to succumb to the inevitable.

As for the steps, how strong are they? I've had mine on for less than a day and they're bent to flip.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Congrats... being made an honest man of then :lol:. The steps from Brian are quite robust.... they fold up neatly and once the upper part is bent it will sit inside the corner of the nose quite nicely. About half way down this entry http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/587/entry-5610-my-4mm-deltic-detailing-project-first-2011-update-body-finished/ you'll see them fitted on the inside. I fitted these a while ago and they're still holding up... much better than the bendy 50 ones.

Here we are....

Horsetan,

this is what I was trying to say a few messages back,

post-8920-0-64684600-1310205058_thumb.jpg

If you look at the line that I've drawn across the nose from marker light to marker light, the bottom apex of the bottom chevron comes to the mid point of the marker lights. Then the centre of the second chevron starts at about the same line.

Having seen the more side on shots of the Backman body the top chevron is in about the right place it just may not be pointie enough.

T.P.oD. sorry for taking over your thread.

OzzyO.

A couple of things on the Bachmann proto Deltic nose: the thin black lines are nowhere near thin enough, of course, so that probably has an effect. Secondly, is it me or are the lamp brackets just a wee bit shorter on the real loco? That might just make enough room for a more pointy lower part.

Secondly, is it me or are the lamp brackets just a wee bit shorter on the real loco? That might just make enough room for a more pointy lower part.

And a different shape too by the looks of it.

Marriage is an institution,,,,,,,,,,,,but who wants to live in an institution.

It's not that bad!

Mine lets me play with trains both big and small as well as playing and coaching cricket along with my interest in British sports saloons :D Can't complain!

Sounds like you are!

Suzi once asked me why the grilles on the noses on a pair of my 37s were different (original vs refurbished)! :D

Then she asked me "What have you done to me?!" :lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived