The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Sean.. hope the honeymoon was enjoyable... and welcome back. I think the 50 and other projects are a good idea... something to work through quite quickly, 'cause a deltic is for life not just for Christmas... and the complete package may take a while (mine's approaching its first anniversary, although the paint setback didn't help - all stripped off now and retained all but one etch part - phew). To be honest, given the amount of correcting I had to do to the front ends, I'd probably give the resin nose a go... this is what Chris Pendleton did - his was the first articel publsihed in MRJ a while back. It will save having to widen the bufferbeam cut out and replacing the (too small) tail marker light housings - if using a non-light model... and you'll then have the headcode box in the right place too - although whether the 1mm error is all that noticeable is hard to tell - it might be evident if two are stood side by side... oh and the buffers will be the correct width apart too.

I understand that there are a number of modellers that have undertaken this "mod"... but I've not seen any results. I'd talk to Brian.

Assuming I still have some sanity at the end of my current project, and I think that I'll be able to face another, I'll be going for the resin nose... if for no other reason - to save myself some time.

Perhaps we can convince Brian to have a look at all the other bits too - fuel tanks, bogies etc, etc.

Go on... give it a go... you know you want to ;) .

See you at Warley... possibly

Guest jim s-w

I have to be honest but that fan grill is worse that the one Hornby gave you. The below picture shows the Hornby original (rear) old shawplan (middle) and extreme etches grill to the front. Always make sure you don't just swap stuff for the sake of it, it has to be better

Hth

Jim

class%2050%20fans.jpg

There was a couple of articles fitting the early test etches to a Bach 55 by George Dent in Model Rail (Nos 124 and 125 I think)... George did a good job, but I have done some things differently... or rather as I think they should be done. I also dropped the bogie ride height and added the brake levers with the right "kink" angle... and the chains. George didn't do the chains... but then he got a better finish to his that I did (yes, I'm working on that). Brian has since remodelled the bufferbeams (better now IMHO) and promises to improve some more bits too... although he's got quite a backlog of other items ahead of him... probably worth the wait. It was George's article (my brother leant me his copy - I still have it) that got me thinking about these conversions in the first place.... and I started quite a while before the parts were available using a method on the EM KierHardy site (Deltic project)... done by Pete Johnson which used mostly scratch built items... and this is what I used on my first Nimbus, the Green Howards and Tulyar - as appeared in the back of the BRM Deltic supplement last month. They're a bit crude, but look ok... yes like you and the DP2... they will not strand comparson next to the current project (or rather that's my hope). Now go to the bottom of the page on this http://emgauge70s.co...lpageindex.html

As for the awaited OO DP2, let's wait and see how good it is first... and then judge. Maybe, it'll be worth using the ends on a Bachmann 55 body to get a better 55... whi knows, we wil see.

And yes OzzyO... totally barking! But it's ok to be barking because you don't need a license anymore ;)

Jon

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

The old shawplan one fits the Hornby hole and is pretty fine. The new shawplan one is much better but is the right size (and shape) for a proper 50. Painted the PH ones look better but I'd still replace them with the old shawplan ones if I were you.

Hth

Jim

• RMweb Gold

just out of interest

when the 50's were built what was the walkway between the roof hatches made from?

I've read that it is from a mesh, but in the british rail mainline diesels book it doesn't show it as mesh, and some shawplan etches i have they are just a flat etch so I'm unsure what to use.

rik

Dont forget to cut out the whole of the step on the 55... and add a backplate (behind) to get the correct depth for the etch. Oh, and that's a model of Nimbus isn't it (big arrows)? Nice project - the 04.. will watch with interest.

J

• RMweb Gold

O. K.....QUESTION.....

The first few 04's, (this one included), were built with a drain pipe type chimney. I have found one in my local model shop from A1 models, priced at 99p, (bargain)..... At the moment, D2207 is fitted with the conical type chimney on the NYMR. Does anyone know when the conical chimney was fitted? Answers on a postcard please.....

Cheers.

Sean.

O.K....ANSWER....

Pedants hat on.

It's not a chimney, its a lump of cast iron put over the exhaust pipe to improve the balance/tractive effort.

Dunno when it was fitted though, sorry, but I'd suspect fairly early on, if it wasn't like the later 03's that had them fitted as built.

O.K....ANSWER....

Pedants hat on.

It's not a chimney, its a lump of cast iron put over the exhaust pipe to improve the balance/tractive effort.

Not the best location to put any extra weight, in my opinion.

The chimney was hollow and still had the exhaust pipe running up the middle, the top was capped just to stop water from pooling at the bottom of the flower pot.

It may? have been put on to improve the looks of the loco, but not much more.

OzzyO.

Curses! Had you asked this on Friday, I could have browsed all of the etches packets hanging on show at Scaleforum yesterday... as it was, I only picked up some Class 47 bits... but we had a really nice long chat about "Deltics" (what else :D ) and saw some things in work.

Why not give him a call.... but leave it until Monday or Tuesday

• RMweb Gold

Why do you say that?

The discussion about the noses was decided to be wrong in the end.

Cheers

Jim

When comparing with the Derby drawings at Butterley not much is right at all Jim, remember who we're dealing with here! A paper bodyside was made to show the inaccuracies in that area, and that's before you start on the cabs, roof, bogies etc etc.

• RMweb Gold

Hi E/W.

Can you expand on the above on here, or better still, take some, or all of your research to Warley, (assuming you're going to be there?). I'd like to see it and if I'm going to tinker with my peaks, it may assist.

Cheers.

Sean.

Nothing would give us greater pleasure Sean, can't do too much for a customer :mosking: , although other than the bodyside, (if it's still around), most of the rest is either mental notes on paper and pictures of the drawings.

When comparing with the Derby drawings at Butterley not much is right at all Jim, remember who we're dealing with here! A paper bodyside was made to show the inaccuracies in that area, and that's before you start on the cabs, roof, bogies etc etc.

Can't remember seeing any reference to any actual data at the time, just people adamant the nose was completely wrong and siting that the curve in the grill was proof. However practically any photo will show that the grill is curved. I have seen brians template since them and it highlighted minor errors that nobody got the first time.

Cheers

Jim

Archived