The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

• 2 weeks later...

Brave move Sean.... hope the results are worth the effort - expect they will be. Which 55 bits did you stock up with - all of them? Hope Brian was suitably impressed! Must finish mine - and move on! A 47 awaits... and my 37 is already re-wheeled (getting ahead of myself there I think)

post-8351-0-20874800-1321901113_thumb.jpg

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean & Jon, yes brave move indeed Sean, I was aware of the slight nose/sand filler descrepency on the new 37, however it's not as noticable on the GSYP version so didn't worry sbout it :no: . Nice work on 55020 Jon, the weathering sets it off a treat. No work done on my 37, been collecting some last minute detailing bits together (oh and playing with a couple of new toys I acquired :jester: ). Got the brake levers & chain to fit them with, when I work out how ?? Will post progress on my thread when I get round to it! As Jon said, Sean, hope the extra work pays off, and am sure it will. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Cheers Phil.

Oh, and I've been doing a bit on the split headcode Deltic as well..... Bet you'd all forgotten about that one?..... No photo's of that though, as I feel I'd spoil the suprise if I peaked too early with pictures!

Sean.

Spoilsport!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean et al, you've got a lot on at mo Sean!!

Quote: 'The other one will be KOYLI. Well, I'm a Yorkshire lad after all.....'

Once upon a time I detailed a Lima Deltic as KOYLI for the same reason, when it went to meet its maker I stripped the plates off but you can't see them very well hung on my wall!!! :jester: .

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Phil

Hi Sean, coming along nicely, I was wondering what those things were my self, as D6801 has them fitted as supplied! There's a shot of them among Jon's photo collection that he posted here earlier.

Cheers Phil.

Phil..... they are Brian Daniel's photos ... not mine; I just supplied the link.

Nice photos Sean... coming along well

Jon

• RMweb Premium

quote:-I'd just like to say thanks to all the contributors to the thread and wish you all a very Happy Christmas and I'll catch up with you all in the new year.

Hi Sean, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & best wishes to you and your's, have a good time :jester: .

Cheers Phil.

• 1 month later...

.....You'll see that the Craftsman overlays are too short as they were designed for the Lima Deltic. I have seen a conversion which has split the sides into four and filled in....

I initially thought you could split the overlay in the middle, and your infill would then be a vertical section measuring 2 to 3mm wide.....but then I realised that the error is not constant across the right-hand half of the overlay!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sean

I'm interested in your 40 as I'm detailing a few Lima bodies as well at the moment.

What do you intend to use as a power unit? I've used an adapted Bachmann chassis, a couple of Limbys and I'm going to double motor a Lima chassis. The Limby chassis has poor pulling power, and needs ballast, not really what i expected. By far the best is the Bachmann chassis but they are quite hard to come by. Over on the Kier Hardy site they've used double-motored Lima 37s and 40s so if it's good enough for those exhibition standard layouts it's good enough for me.

Neil

The biggest challenge was scratch building the tanks, (water tanks for the steam heating?), but I drew a template and worked to this each time.

I've bought them as spares from Bachmann in the past to fit to Lima locos!

Archived