Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

• RMweb Premium

well done sean, that looks the biz!

i know a lot of work's gone into it, but it's not till the paint's on, then.....WOW!

always good to see the less common/more interesting stuff done too, particularly any kind of catering car.

Guest Max Stafford

You've done a cracking job of that Deltic up there, Sean. It looks just like a real one! ;-)

Dave.

Sean, you're right, the marker light housing have a vertical front face, which is evident when compared to the slant of the nose profile. Best to make sure that when you insert your new ones you take this into account possibly by making the hole in the nose horizontally rather than perpendicularly to the surface. Good luck!

Jon

Looking very good Sean :)

More superb work (as usual) on both the TP and the Deltic fronts. I had done some work on the side "flaps" and had simply glued them in place, working on the assumption that when painted they would blend in enough - looking at the real thing they do tend to become "loose" and so do sit differently panel to panel.

If you do need any specific detail photos, give me a shout as i can access both 16 and 22 easily enough - although if you ask Jon nicely i think he photographed every inch of 22!! :derisive:

Rob

You're not nicking my ideas... they were just what worked for me; if they work for you too, then that's great. As for the holes, I found it more controllable to use a drill (0.4mm) to make many holes to form the cut out edges and then clean up with a fine file. The holes do have radius'd corners so take care.

I do tend to wonder whether Bachmann will re-hash their model... given that a 2mm farish model is on the cards... perhaps it'll scale up. Until then, we can be satisfied that we'll have what nobody else has (or is that not fair???) I know that I put a lot of time and effort into my model, but it was a process of learning what to do.. and was very rewarding. Yes, I'd do it again... as I have others to work. For now the 47 will retain my attention (saw a nice P4 Lima one yesterday)... very insprational. Good luck with the project... and enjoy the results.

The 40.... hmmm, let's watch this space :ok:

It's a suprise to see how much work is required on the Bachmann Deltic to bring it up to todays standards and I guess the model is probably at least ten years old..... That said, it was a great improvement on the Lima model that preceeded it. I wonder if once the 40 is updated, the Deltics may be next?.....
Well, they're working on an N gauge production Deltic. If that's not just a shoot-down of this one, then there's more of a chance of a new 4mm one after as they would have the CAD work. Could be similar for the Bullied coaches - after the Staniers it seems unlikely that they won't have flush glazing, for example.

What you are doing is pretty amazing, and very interesting.

Will you attempt to get the details looking real, (ie: a bit tatty, used, rusty in places etc), or will they be pristine?

This is one of the things I'm thinking of if my scratch-build of "Falcon" in 7mm ever gets off the ground: how to replicate it looking REAL, not like a model. For a start, the sides of most large diesels are as wavy as a wavy place on a wavy day. But if we replicate THAT, would it just look like a bad build on our part?

Opinions?

it was mentioned that some modellers have replicated this rippling pretty well on their models. I always thought the Peaks showed it off most, possibly due to the length of the body?
The outer skin on these was just a thin, non-structural layer whereas on some, like Deltics, Westerns & Brush Type 4s, the skin was structural and, to a degree, in tension. Get the angle and light right and you can see pretty much all of the framework of a Peak body!

That would explain the "rippling" I remember so fondly on the Peaks then Bernard. I think I'll still give it a miss on the 4mm Peaks when I get round to them though..... :O

Cheers.

Sean.

Wasn't there a thread on here a while back where a Class 27 was given rippled bodysides by strategic gouging, sanding and filling? After a full repaint it looked really effective. Sorry I can't remember any more details than that!

It's all "hybrid" with you at the moment Horsetan.....

Unfortunately for me, hybrids are pretty much the only way to get what I want in the diesel world, and I'm not really a diesel fan either! It's my version of Hybrid Synergy Drive.

I've looked at your 04 conversion in your blog though and it seems to be coming along nicely.

"halfwit", who seems to be something of a shunter addict (and is within spitting distance of Rowsley), has been a great help in finding out things like crank leads.

As for Lima/Bachmann 40's, ....I've another one waiting in the wings which will be D335. ....There will be a little penguin at the drivers desk with his flipper holding her at notch 10...

Ah, but does it go all the way up to "11"?

You're lucky to have someone near Rowsley...and even luckier for them to gain access.

I've been twice........a 180 mile round trip, and been turned away twice.

• 2 weeks later...

There has been plenty of filling and sanding, mainly around the cab door steps which, on the real thing appears to be flush to the body and whilst I'm happy to have the join visible, (see prototype pictures below), I don't want it prominent if that makes sense?

The etch parts for the 55 are (as far as I know) for the reinforced surround that was fitted to the 55s to protect them from damage... can't remember when (must look it up) so on mine... and therefore there will be a panel line - it was riveted to the bodywork. The photo you've shown is of "Gordon" without the reinforced panel - presumably removed for "green authenticity"... so if you're doing a green'un then "blend"... for blue, leave the panel as a seperate item.

At least, that's what I think.

As for the rest of it... lovely. So nice to see someone else enjoying the project. I really must crack on with my "little 47" project at some point again soon.

Sean, I'll be there on Sunday with Rob (Deltic21)... , stopping off at the Member's day on Saturday on my journey up .... weather forecast not too appealing, but shouldn't detract from a little pleasure being ahuled about by some English Electric Traction.Unfortunately 50015 doesn't appear to be listed on the roster for Sunday... but there's 3 37s, the 15, a 24(?) and two Deltics to satisfy.

Glad the nose ends are coming along nicely... and hopefully see you on Sunday

Jon

Archived