The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Guest Max Stafford

It would appear that RMWeb's own Jenny Frost is back in full effect! :imsohappy:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these Deltics and DP2.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

I've every faith in your ability and your aesthetic philosophy pretty much aligns with my own.

I shall watch and enjoy!

Dave.

:D

He heh..... I'd forgotten about the P.O.D. link Dave! You're right though, back on full steam so to speak.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I do with these loco's too. They'll not be as in depth as Jon020's conversion of Nimbus which was an awsome model but they'll look right, therefore they'll be right. The problem with Deltics is that there's so many fans out there that I reckon there will never be the definative model as so many people know so much about them! I reckon Jons is about the best I've seen though and thats what I'll be aspiring to.

Lets see how I get on.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean, thanks for the comment... you're too kind! It's always nice to have the ego bucked up a bit... that's at least one letter away from how it usually feels. I think you're brave setting out for a 4th DP2, but I understand why; so, goodluck... and we'll be with you, following its devlopment.

As for Peaks vs Deltics.... well, I'll not be drawn on that one... as nice a big Sulzer is... it'll not beat a Twin Napier in my book :no: .

Cheeky so and so! :P

Was going to contact you Mike to ask if you'll fetch one of your 37's with the P. H. D. bogie steps to the club tomorrow?

No prizes for guessing why.....

Cheers.

Sean.

sorry frozen thingys but im with mike on this insp. frost is better looking ....mali :no:

Any chance of a close up of that bufferbeam Sean? Did you mean that you fixed it a bit like I did then - as Brain suggested, with small screws. I used shortened 14BA cheeseheads... I borrowed a bufferbeam pack from Brian/Mike at EMExpo.. went across to Aileens' stand and measured them up. I shortened them, drilled a couple of holes in the plastic frame, and used these to aid attachment... accompanied with a little glue - rocket max I think. See116.

Oh well... at least if Brian's mould needs replacing, then he's been successful... so we have plenty of "better" deltics out there - which is good in my book! And you'll get the product of a fresh mould :imsohappy: which will be worth the wait, I'm sure.

37 looking good sean...

Jon

Thanks Jon.

I'll happily post a few close ups of the buffer beams. Do you need them right now though? Reason I ask is because the loco is now in its box, with screws fixing the body and cables connected. I will happily post loads of pictures when the beams for the other two arrive if thats ok?

If you need them now though, no worries I can sort it.

Cheers.

Sean.

No rush at all sean... Given that I recently had to strip Nimbus down to component parts - to replace the motor, I know that stripping back down once completed is not a welcome exercise. next time it's apart, it might be worth grabbing a shot and plonking them on here for others' (inc me) education.

Cheers.... Jon

I never know exactly how much waffle and pictures to include in my thread as to me, endless pictures of buffer beams etc seems a little tedious, but I guess not in this case.

Yea, you're not asking the right person there; i tend to waffle myself a little...in my blogs anyway... as you know :secret:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon and all.....

As requested above Jon, here's my bit of waffle as regards the class 37 buffer beams.

Firstly, here's a picture of the prototype to give an idea of what I'm "trying" to achieve.....

This picture is used with the kind permission of Mike Knowles of this parish who owns the copyright to it. Please contact him before uploading/using etc. You will see that the buffer beam is actually quite plain on this loco with no apparent snowplough brackets etc. Needless to say, for simplicity, none of my 37's will be fitted with snowploughs..... :blinkclear:

The reason all these conversions have come about is down to a complete lack of fore thought on my part as originally, the VI trains chassis sat beneath Lima bodies which I'd converted by adding the buffer beam cowlings. They were not fantastic, although passable for their time, but I decided to upgrade them by using some cheap Bachmann bodies. As such, I just broke the buffer beams off rather roughly when modifying the Lima 37's which has left little material for the new beams to be attached to..... :ohmyclear:

Anywho, below are a couple of pictures of the buffer beams under construction.

Firstly, in the below left section, you will see a couple of the beams with unwanted detail cut away. One of the back plates is folded up and ready for the front piece to be added. Comparing this with the fret bottom right, these are untouched Deltic buffer beam etches from the Shawplan range.

Having folded up the beams, I have used brass rod as the solid part of the air pipes and then used Araldite to fix them to the VI chassis. Only thing I have to do now is to drill through both chassis and beam and use a small nut and bolt to make sure nothing comes adrift! The usual methods will be used to add pipes and screw couplings. Although the "bash plates" on these beams are tapered which is correct for the Deltics, but not the 37's. There is an etched line right in the wrong place to correct this and despite numerous attempts to correct it, the section just twists! I'm going to leave it and just paint the taper section black, leaving the rest red. This will hopefully disguise the fault so that only rivet counters will notice! :nowinkclear:

I'm rather frustrated to have lost a pair of cab interiors for one of the 37's - can't find them anywhere! - so if anyone out there reading this happens to have a spare pair, there's cash waiting!.....

As you'll see from the photo's below, this next loco is not going to be a quick job!

The photo's will hopefully show what I've been trying to put into words over my last few posts..... Firstly, the top one shows how I've made a jig by glueing a couple of lengths of plastic rod parrallel to each other at the same distance as the Craftsman etch. I've next taped the copy of the correct length diagram over this, before lightly taping the Craftsman etch above that. The Craftsman etch can slide along the top of the diagram and so, starting at the left hand end, each individual hole and recess can be cut out. The second side will be done in the same way, but will eventually be turned around and hopefully each hole will match its respective other as a mirror image.

All sounds so simple!..... :unsureclear:

That's all for now.

Cheers.

Sean.

That looks like quite a nifty way of getting the sides done for this loco.

will send you those bits this week.

• 2 weeks later...

And, having looked at the close up pictures, I've realised I've made a rather obvious mistake and forgotten to replace the front handrails.

Deltics back in the cupboard then?..... :banghead:

There aren't any windscreen wipers on it either… but looking good nonetheless :good_mini: :good_mini:

Sean, the mix of 40 donors does give a model that looks like a 40, I'll give you that. And you've got the version I prefer... to be a 40 with headcodes is just a bit close to a 37...

Did I miss it or are you going to give a little weathering? One this that I find gets missed so often, on 37s too, is a darkening of the horn grills... or the infill behind the grill. Without this darkening, the front ends look a bit off balance - just my opinion you understand ;)

I was looking at the 40s... but might just now wait a while and see what happens with the Bachmann one; Gareth Bayer mentioned in REM, whilst bemoaning the need for an update to the bach 55 tooling... that perhaps something similar could be done to their greater retooling they're doing to the 40 (first public mention I'd seen of this) ... so, maybe, a correct RTR 40 might be coming soon... fingers and everything else crossed.

May I make a suggestion though... as nice as the models are, have you ever thought about a photo board.... it could even be a single piece of track on a small plinth, a bit of ballast and paint, and all of a sudden your locos are sat in better surroundings... just a thought... I think you're doing the right thing shooting outside though.

Keep up the good work... and come on, let's be 'aving those 55s

Jon

Hi Sean, That's a different approach.. and why not! It should give a more solid result too. A good start I'd say, and well worth the three hours it took to get there.

As for the fence... yes, very nice too - I particularly like the nice weathered effect you've given the timbers - almost looks as though it's been sat out in your garden for a few years already ;) .

Good luck with this one... i presume you're reshaping the front ends this time... it'll be well worth the effort, come on, you know it makes sense.... and it will probably allow an interesting comparison with the Heljan shape. Ah actually, you said you were waiting for the resin noses from Brian... yes, even better. Good luck.

Jon

Aye up OzzyO, (again).

Given that you have prompted me with your hole filling comment, pondering has been suspended for the moment and now, the rest of the windows on this side and all the windows on the other side are in the process of being filled.

Can't believe I didn't use this method from the start!

Anywho, work progresses.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hello Sean,

I just hope that it works well, as normally work in metal not plastic.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Sean,

how about filling in the holes in the Deltic body before cutting out the holes for DP2? That way you could get all the body-side smooth before the holes are re-cut.

HT. Hows DP1 coming on?

OzzyO.

just out of interest wouldn't the bodyside windows be fine as they are for the dp2? Because I thought that they just used a production body and altered what they needed too.

• RMweb Gold

If only it were that simple RKA......

Nothing ever is where I'm concerned though, so unfortunately, it'll involve much filling and sanding. There are 5 bodyside windows spaced differently to the Deltics. The Deltics have a bodyside grill with three windows either side whereas DP2 has five evenly spaced windows plus the two large side grills. I believe, although I have to do a bit more comparing before being certain, that DP2s side windows are slightly lower than the Deltics too.

just checked again, goes to show that i must remember to engage brain before fingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived