The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

I bought a picture of DP2 from the well know auction site a few days ago and the picture arrived yesterday. It's copyrighted, so I can't reproduce it here,

You could always link to the listing on the site!

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going to say too much now, but leave you guessing and see what ideas or theorys you come up with.

With this in mind, the nose fronts are now devoid of detail and awaiting some filler to make them really smooth.

The clue is in the "devoid of detail"

Add a window, file the overall size of the moulding down a little bit, add a bit of filler to the corners, re-profile the roof, reshape the buffer casings, add some of Brian's EE headcode flaps and, taa daa................................................................................................................................... a replacement baby deltic nose end

They're going on the forgotten GT4 which was trialed round about the same time as DP2. Looking very much like a DP2 but with radiator grills at both ends. Most of the test running was done at night from the Dick Cure works at Preston. On one of the test runs it was alleged that she got to 127mph. If anyone has a good photo of her I'd like to see it.

OzzyO.

They're going on the forgotten GT4 which was trialed round about the same time as DP2. Looking very much like a DP2 but with radiator grills at both ends. Most of the test running was done at night from the Dick Cure works at Preston. On one of the test runs it was alleged that she got to 127mph. If anyone has a good photo of her I'd like to see it.

OzzyO.

OK, sanity check time - either there's a huge gap in my knowledge, or there's some serious leg pulling here.:help: Well done to OzzyO for the mention though

OzzyO.

Hello all,

at first GT4 was going to be a Bo-Bo+Bo-Bo but the BRB reckoned that this would be to long for the run round loops at London and Glasgow. So the shortened version that would resemble DP2 would be built for testing.

It was also tried with GT and hydraulic transmission. This worked better than the electric traction motors did, it also had the benefit of reducing the weight of the loco.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

:rolleyes:

There's some great theorys above guys, but alas, none are correct for this project.

I'll let you all guess a while longer, but the next set of pictures will kind of give it all away. Let's just say for now, it's a whimsical what might have been.....

Cheers for now.

Sean.

SUPERDELTIC :laugh:

Cards on the table Sean... are we talking, what if the Deltics had continued on into the late 80s and 90s..? I was think wipak... until you said we need to think back rather than forward.... ok... so no headcode panel and just indicator discs a'la class 40

A couple more nice theorys above chaps.

Jon, you're about as close as you can get without being spot on. Maybe just come forward a year or so and you'll be spot on!

:yahoo:

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean, oh go on then.... surely we're not talking split headcode class 55. Hmm.... now there's a thought!

Jon

Thats the one Jon.

Split boxes, nose doors and "D" tail lamps. Just as if the Deltics were built about a year earlier. Now,what livery would work with that. Suggestions welcome.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean...... nice one! Right... now, how about starting a poll on livery... I'd guess an overall BR Green or Deltic two tone green - all without yellow ends

Class 45 stylee, with the buttermilk/ grey lower bodyside stripe and grey roof extending over the cabs, small yellow panel like a Class 37/ 40/ 45. And the central grille amidships edged in cream....

:pleasantry:

Would a deltic have doors? The doors were used for access to the steam heating boiler on a trailing loco when working in multipul. Is there any train that would require two deltics? Or you could do one like the peaks with 2 separate boxs centered on the nose.

Of course, I think a good model would be the type 4 deltic proposal, a 37 style body, with 2 deltic radiators/engine compartments. The book was by brian harsnape, a old book on all the deltics used by BR. My fave was seeing the engine from a boat at barrow hill, same size and mass as the d18 used in the deltics, but intercooled and supercharged, putting out 3700 hp!:blink:

How about building a baby deltic with that in.

Cheesysmith

Wot he said.... yes sean, this is looking very nice indeed - mind you a little weathering is probably called for. Although I suspect given where you're off too... it's not the loco that will be weathered this weekend :laugh:. Have a good weekend Sean... and DP2 will be waiting your return... have a drink (or 4)... or more :drinks: on us - a good job. well done

Archived