The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

:help: I am getting tempted by all this talk of playing with diesel things. Please, discourage me before I fall into the trap :rolleyes:

Phil @ 36E

I have to confess that I'm tempted to fall into the same trap - building a diesel. Someone very kindly gave me one of the old prototype Deltic plastic kits and I might just use that as a basis for a model of the 1955 Deltic prototype.

Sean, your threads are 'essential reading' even for a dedicated steam man like me.

Regards

Mike

:help: I am getting tempted by all this talk of playing with diesel things.

You know you want to, and it's a relatively cheap exercise to saw up a Kitmaster / Dapol kit.......:D

Please, discourage me before I fall into the trap :rolleyes:

We'd have to charge a small fee for that....

....Someone very kindly gave me one of the old prototype Deltic plastic kits and I might just use that as a basis for a model of the 1955 Deltic prototype...

A lot cheaper than trying to splash out on the now unavailable NRM Bachmann free-for-all.

Thought: if we can increase the number of people using the Kitmaster / Dapol kits, maybe Brian might be encouraged to work on sets of detailing etches for it? Who knows? ;)

I've got a certificate to prove It.

I have a 27 page report explaining how I'm not normal but 'special'! :lol:

Whats normal about standing in the cold for a couple of hours watching 22 over paid men? kicking a bag of wind about.

I don't do that - I prefer the game with 22 men and the sound of leather on willow :) My wife prefers a game with 26 men and a funny shaped ball :blink:

Thought: if we can increase the number of people using the Kitmaster / Dapol kits, maybe Brian might be encouraged to work on sets of detailing etches for it? Who knows? ;)

Brian will get there eventually! Remember he's pretty much single handedly started a revolution for D&E modellers!

UPDATE: The nose sections on the Kitmaster kit are definitely wrong. The fairing for what would have been the nose-mounted headlight is too exposed, particularly at the front, partly because the leading edge of the bonnet has been "dropped", so would need building back up. Filler splashed on top and sanded to shape, maybe?

Not deep enough at the lower edge - take a look at the lower moulded chevron which has been "flattened", compared to the real thing which is a steep "V".

Buffers and buffer beam are too high up, and the crescent-shaped opening at the front is too flat. I think I will deal with that by adding-in plastic strips to deepen the front, and moving the buffer housings / buffer beam downwards.

.....I prefer the game with 22 men and the sound of leather on willow :) My wife prefers a game with 26 men and a funny shaped ball :blink:

I prefer the one involving me and a horse going at speed.:P

I have a 27 page report explaining how I'm not normal but 'special'! :lol:

I don't do that - I prefer the game with 22 men and the sound of leather on willow :) My wife prefers a game with 26 men and a funny shaped ball :blink:

I thought that in the game that had the sound of leather on willow only had 13 men on the pitch. Two of them are getting a ball thrown at them at a lot of M.P.H. it just seams a bit unfair. Then you have the team that is out trying to be the team that is in? Plus a couple of refs. that carried the jumpers for all of the rest :biggrin_mini2:. Or have I got a different game.

OzzyO.

PS. I used to play the game with an odd shaped ball, number 7.

Thats the reason I got them, but, alas, not everything goes right for me as we all know....

You're lucky, though that all the main dimensions pretty much match those of the production Deltics, so you're already covered by Bachmann's drivetrain and bogies.

Me, I've picked a hard one. Still, I did get an offer to help prepare and paint the bodyshell when it's finally been done.

Sean, so the horn covers came like that did they? And you're not replacing the fan cover and exhausts... which I planned to do on mine; thought it'd be a nice simple job once the 55 is out of the way - I'll need something simple, like the 50, a 47 or 37 once the 55 is done... either that or therapy :telephone:

Hi Jon.

Yes the horn grilles came as you see them here. They were both second hand from different sources so I assume thats how Hornby supply D421.....

I don't know much about the 50's compared to other loco's, (and really don't need any on a 1965 - 1968 NE region layout! - I'll find an excuse), so will probably keep the fan grille and exhaust ports unless someone, (you?) tell me there's something wrong with them?

I don't think I've got a good picture of a roof, but after DP2, I need to get back to the "If it looks right it is right" theory and do something nice and simple or I too may just go insane!.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean, I'm no 50 expert either... and I have a BR Blue TOPS 50013 (fresh in box)... looked nice to me - a lovely crisp, quiet running loco - nicer detailing that the Bach 55... All looked ok until Brian H mentioned that the roof fan grill and surround were wrong :unsure:... and I think the exhaust port is too - but Brian has EE etches for these :huh:.... Jim S-W did a brief posting on the showcase on how to correct these - I may go down that route (eventually)... once the 55 is done as that is currently all consuming. I agree, sometimes it's just a case of wondering whether this additionl work is really worth all the effort - but I'm gonna finish this 55 and then have a real long hard think about the other 55s just sitting in the drawer and work out which bits really benefit from being done.

As for an excuse for 50s in the NE - Double headed railtour :)?

Jon

Hi Jon.

I agree, the Hornby 50 is a smooth runner and a great moulding too.

I found a picture of a brand new 50's roof and to be honest, the Hornby exhaust ports look ok to me. Can you shed any light on what the problem is? I do agree though, the fan grille looks a little, well, weak..... Might benefit from an etched brass one. I'd hoped not to have to do a full repaint, but a bit of roof gunk might disguise this and any new exhaust ports.

If you could find a link to Jim s-w's thread, please feel free to post it here. It would be most helpful.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean... to be honest, I think they're not far out either... a real case of not knowing and can't see... even when it's known... its still much of an unknown... here's the thread anyway http://www.rmweb.co.uk/showcase/?p=2284 alternatively, pop along and see Brian on the EE stand at a show somewhere... you might need your wallet though :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Well, it's been a short while, but I've been spending my time finishing some of the smaller details on DP2 as well as the roof. I didn't get to the DEMU show over the weekend, but I packed my pal off with a blank cheque and he came back with some bits and pieces from PDH designs and Shawplan.

So, here are a few pictures of DP2, the first four are prior to undercoat, just so you can all see my hard work before it gets covered over.....

The above should show all the work in detail, but here's a list of what I've done so far.....

Grafted Bachmann cabs to the Silver Fox body.

Remove moulded cab steps.

Open out the incorrect body side windows

Add cantrail grille rain channel

Construct new roof panel consisting of roof fan grille/exhaust ports/engine room doors/boiler exhaust recess/raised ribs.

Open out and replace radiator side grilles.

Add solebar and bodyside detail consisting of hinged covers and sandbox filler covers on the nose and sides.

Add nose side access hatch and bodyside hatch, (between windows).

Once that was done I gave her a coat of grey primer to show up any blemishes.

I knew the bodysides etc wouldn't be perfect, but I was pleasantly suprised at how little sanding will be needed! It's the first time I've used detailing parts that are so small, (Penguins law dictated that I would loose one of the smallest sandbox filler covers to the floor!), and so some of the holes are a little large, but there's not much I can do about that now. I hope a coat of green will assist to disguise this. Once the final finishing is done, I'll be ready to start on the "Deltic" livery and finally, add the aluminium window surrounds to finish her off.

It all sounds so simple! :crazy_mini:

Cheers for now.

Sean.

Sean... looking good! You've just convined me of the benefits of a coat of primer to unify finish and reveal blemishes - must do mine! You didn't do the nose grills then? Looking good and lookign forward to the next instalment!

Danniella Westbrook might disagree... ;)

In a vain attempt to save money, I twisted the deformed nose, and it now looks passably straight. Having looked at Brian's latest photos on another thread, and looked at the prototype photos, and then looked at my hacked kit so far, I think I've identified another error. Nothing impossible, though.

Archived