Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Fantastic work Ron, the Brit with six on really shows the size of the train shed. One thing that I'd like to know, what are you going to use for the infill pieces between the roof girders and the walls? Plasicard or etched.

OzzyO.

Hi, Ozzy

The Spandrels were etched back in September 2011, and have recently been painted ready for mounting

post-10633-0-38467300-1419106489.jpg

The spandrels are shown in the bottom right corner

post-10633-0-09901600-1316301390_thumb.p

Drawing of a typical Spandrel

Edit: Just remembered my post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28293-manchester-central-clc-gn-warehouses-castlefield-viaducts/page-39&do=findComment&comment=502778 , and following relevant posts, with some pictures of the etches

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 2

The last of the Xmas Concerts and Carols in the Local Church have been done, and the Xmas Presents to the local charities distributed - ... and inbetween times the second cladding strip has been completed, and placed temporarily on the train shed roof. The first cladding strip is 38mm wide by 2045mm long, and the second strip is 56mm wide by 2045mm long -

post-10633-0-72207000-1419268557_thumb.jpg

The train is still on Platform 6

post-10633-0-90412000-1419268625_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the two claddings

post-10633-0-97881200-1419268777_thumb.jpg

Closer

post-10633-0-83584400-1419268702_thumb.jpg

... and closer

... the third cladding strip is wider and stepped to provide greater glazing area over the concourse

• Like 11

* * Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo a Todos * *

* * Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All * *

Thanks to all my Fellow Modellers for your continuing help, comments and interest

All of which is much appreciated

Look forward to making even more progress in the coming year

• Like 14

Some of the images on this thread have brought back the sense of wonderment that I felt as a child, standing under the train-shed of this station!

It is modeling of the highest standard and I can not wait to see your progress in 2015. Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all. Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Looking simply amazing. It has a real sense of weight to it.

How heavy is it in reality, does it take a couple of people just to lift the roof (for weight let alone size)?

Have a lovely Christmas, and break from the modelling.

Jamie

How heavy is it in reality, does it take a couple of people just to lift the roof (for weight let alone size)?

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

Thanks

The calculated weight was posted in this link

Hope this sufficient info.

Ron

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

Thanks

The calculated weight was posted in this link

Hope this sufficient info.

Ron

Have fixed the three lengths of cladding to the roof structure, ensuring the appropriate locations using temporary card spacers. This also helps in maintaining the correct dimensions for the glazing

Have to now order the clear plastic sheets (the sheets in my stock are too thin for canopy and roof glazing, but ok for windows, etc.) and of course more styrene, as none of this is available in Spain. In the meantime whilst awaiting delivery, will sort out the spandrel fixings, eaves glazing bars and apex vent, then it will be back to the trackwork

• Like 3

The sheer scope of this layout has made this the must-watch thread of 2014 and will undoubtedly continue to be so in 2015. Seeing one of my old stomping grounds from the days of my dim, distant youth rise from the ashes brings back so many beautiful memories! :fan:

All the very best Ron to you and your family for the New Year!

Regard

Bill

• Like 2