Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

As our parting gift to Mr York, we agreed that he could photograph the layout before it moves on to pastures new. He's only been bugging us relentlessly for about 7 years.

The original plan was for him to photograph it fully set up at a show. The 'last show' idea didn't happen though. Apparently Barnstaple was too far to pop down...

It looked like it wasn't going to happen but then a snow storm intervened and our buyer had to cancel collection before Christmas. The layout has therefore been out of long term storage and sitting in our conservatory for about a month.

Whilst we can't fit the entire layout up, (the room is 8' too short to put up the fiddles) the scenic section could be erected. So, the layout has been photographed and I understand it will be appearing in the April BRM.

The old girl has been on the cover of 3 mags previously.

post-6675-0-54228200-1517062753_thumb.jpg

Going to have a quick read to see what we write last time and then try an come up with something different.

A while back I did set three goals for the layout.

1. Do a final farewell show (failed on that one, so Barnstaple will have to count).

2. Get Andy to photograph it (tick).

3. Find a buyer that will give the layout a new lease of life (tick).

Well, according to Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

As our parting gift to Mr York, we agreed that he could photograph the layout before it moves on to pastures new. He's only been bugging us relentlessly for about 7 years.

attachicon.gifrps20180127_141752.jpg

Going to have a quick read to see what we write last time and then try an come up with something different.

That's not as easy as you think either. Great to see you nearly get the full set, where's Model Rail,  excluding MRJ although you did get BCB in that one. ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The original plan was for him to photograph it fully set up at a show. The 'last show' idea didn't happen though. Apparently Barnstaple was too far to pop down...

It looked like it wasn't going to happen but then a snow storm intervened and our buyer had to cancel collection before Christmas. The layout has therefore been out of long term storage and sitting in our conservatory for about a month.

Whilst we can't fit the entire layout up, (the room is 8' too short to put up the fiddles) the scenic section could be erected. So, the layout has been photographed and I understand it will be appearing in the April BRM.

A while back I did set three goals for the layout.

1. Do a final farewell show (failed on that one, so Barnstaple will have to count).

2. Get Andy to photograph it (tick).

3. Find a buyer that will give the layout a new lease of life (tick).

Well, according to Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad...

Oh well at least the last show was at one that myself and Ray organised (both of us no longer involved in the club there, but that is another story). As far as we are concerned, in hindsight, a fitting exhibition. Just don't mention John's 'ink poster incident'!

• RMweb Premium

Oh well at least the last show was at one that myself and Ray organised (both of us no longer involved in the club there, but that is another story). As far as we are concerned, in hindsight, a fitting exhibition. Just don't mention John's 'ink poster incident'!

Just words from our lord I heard

Andy

• RMweb Premium

That's not as easy as you think either. Great to see you nearly get the full set, where's Model Rail,  excluding MRJ although you did get BCB in that one. ;)

We got New Haden Colliery into Model Rail back in 2003/4. 

Having looked back at the files on my laptop, I think I've now written stuff that's been published in all the current model railway mags: BRM, Hornby, Model Rail, RM and MRJ. Quite pleasing really. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just words from our lord I heard

Andy

It was a miracle. We were there in this place of worship and some holy words appeared before our eyes on a very nice piece of polished timber. 

(Permanent marker pen + thin paper = act of vandalism) 

• RMweb Premium

Was it that show or our previous visit with DitD where John ended up in a shopping trolley*?

(* Yes, a prior visit to the pub had been involved)

• RMweb Premium

Please can you tell us a bit more about the origin of the locos?

Many thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave

As you have probably guessed, both the U1 and 700 are kits. Both were bought off eBay a good 10+ years ago with the intention of running them on Treneglos. The 700 was complete but needed painting - I don't recall off-hand whose kit it is and the box is in the attic. The U1 was in worse state and had been dropped at some stage by whoever started building the DJH kit and was a little mangled. Geoff Cook took it away and straightened it all out, finished the kit and painted it for me. The motor / gearbox combinations in both locos are not great and we couldn't get either of them to run well enough to run on the layout at shows - both either raced off like a scolded cat or sat motionless. Both have therefore spent their lives in my display cabinet. With Hornby bringing out their 700 i doubt there's much of a market for the kit version now....

The only other kit-built 00 loco I have is a T9 built from a Finney kit by Geoff Cook. Runs absolutely beautifully and I prefer it to the Hornby version. The Finney T9 was a regular performer on Treneglos at shows.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes please, and I presume the N in the earlier photo is a Bachmann?

Many thanks, Dave.

Sorry, missed the bit about the N Class.

Yes, all the Ns on the layout are Bachmann. We had 2 with slope-sided tenders, 31409 was modified to represent the batch that were LH drive. We had another half dozen with the smaller straight-sided tenders and a couple had their front ends modified to have the curved frames and lengthened footplate. They had a variety of chimneys, including the later BR Std4 one. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

As you have probably guessed, both the U1 and 700 are kits. Both were bought off eBay a good 10+ years ago with the intention of running them on Treneglos. The 700 was complete but needed painting - I don't recall off-hand whose kit it is and the box is in the attic. The U1 was in worse state and had been dropped at some stage by whoever started building the DJH kit and was a little mangled. Geoff Cook took it away and straightened it all out, finished the kit and painted it for me. The motor / gearbox combinations in both locos are not great and we couldn't get either of them to run well enough to run on the layout at shows - both either raced off like a scolded cat or sat motionless. Both have therefore spent their lives in my display cabinet. With Hornby bringing out their 700 i doubt there's much of a market for the kit version now....

The only other kit-built 00 loco I have is a T9 built from a Finney kit by Geoff Cook. Runs absolutely beautifully and I prefer it to the Hornby version. The Finney T9 was a regular performer on Treneglos at shows.  

In theory that T9 should also not explode as do many of the Hornby versions.

P

• RMweb Premium

In theory that T9 should also not explode as do many of the Hornby versions.

P

No, it's really nice, smooth as a well smooth sewing machine. Not one I'll be selling!

Given what others have experienced of late I was half expecting the Hornby T9s to fail during the photoshoot. All seem OK but I've not opened them up to see what condition the castings are in.