Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

You certainly had an effect on that restaurant it closed very quickly after you visited!

It was fairly empty when we were there. Pitty as the food was good and we had a very entertaining evening.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to getting my copy of BRM though I have been lucky enough to get a sneak preview of the pictures and they are superb. The cover is naff and the bold shouty comments that accompany articles really irritate me but I love Dolly!:-))

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to getting my copy of BRM though I have been lucky enough to get a sneak preview of the pictures and they are superb. The cover is naff and the bold shouty comments that accompany articles really irritate me but I love Dolly!:-))

Jerry

I'm with you Jerry on the cover and shouty comments, irritates me too.

But just for you, here's Dolly again expressing her gratitude for the BRM team drawing her attention to Treneglos. She was heard to exclaim "I just love your Cornish Country and Western..."

post-6675-0-31800800-1522155568.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jerry

Agree totally about the "bold shouty comments". An unnecessary waste of space that could be used for something much more useful.

• RMweb Gold

Coming through Padlington in a hurry I grabbed a BRM in Smug’s and ran for this 14.03 to Penzance. I now discover the copy I have is Spring, and no Treneglos. Sigh. I hope the right edition is visible in Torbay before I leave for home on April 10th. I only saw Treneglos once but it was very influential.

As for magazine design and layout, this is the way of much printed media these days. ‘60s style RM - or for that matter Motor Sport - with pages of joined-up writing full of facts is replaced by punchy, in-yer-face stuff, in a desperate attempt to hold the attention of a generation with a short span of that precious commodity. In that respect BRM is simply staying competitive, I think.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Coming through Padlington in a hurry I grabbed a BRM in Smug’s and ran for this 14.03 to Penzance. I now discover the copy I have is Spring, and no Treneglos. Sigh. I hope the right edition is visible in Torbay before I leave for home on April 10th. I only saw Treneglos once but it was very influential.

As for magazine design and layout, this is the way of much printed media these days. ‘60s style RM - or for that matter Motor Sport - with pages of joined-up writing full of facts is replaced by punchy, in-yer-face stuff, in a desperate attempt to hold the attention of a generation with a short span of that precious commodity. In that respect BRM is simply staying competitive, I think.

I don't mind the odd highlighted quote. But these are just toooooo big.

I was similarly caught out in Smiths at Euston, much head scratching till I realised it was the old issue, will pick up a Treneglos copy next week.

• RMweb Gold

April print edition not due out until Thursday. I'm hoping to grab one before going away for Easter. Treneglos is one of those layouts that is inspiring even though it's not in my preferred period - but definitely evoking a favourite part of the world.

• Like 1

Or determined to be unoriginal/conformist?

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Had a read of the e version of BRM. Superb pictures of a wonderful layout. You should be proud.

Thanks Colin, a fitting way to see the old girl off.

Nice to see the layout on the RMweb banner at the top of the page.

Indeed:

post-6675-0-95699000-1522263654_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

Some cracking pictures of Tackygloss brought back a lot of memories of the early stages of its build in Damian conservatory, and of cousre its first outing at Stafford

Where have all those years gone.

Good to see my contribution of the blue landy survived the duration.

Regards

Eltel

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bought a copy today.

Great photos and a good read!

I remember seeing Treneglos at Stafford, but must have been the second time on show as fitted with backscene etc from what I remember.

Thanks again for bringing down to our show in North Devon!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bought a copy today.

Great photos and a good read!

I remember seeing Treneglos at Stafford, but must have been the second time on show as fitted with backscene etc from what I remember.

Thanks again for bringing down to our show in North Devon!

It was our pleasure Richard, very enjoyable pub, sorry I mean show.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Salvation was at hand in Bodmin, where Smugs provided a copy today. I was a bit non-plussed on dropping in to Bodmin General to find 4 loaded blood and custard coaches, sitting half-on, half-off the platform, while a loco backed on to the front. At a distance, standing on the platform, I couldn’t even decide what sort of loco. Most odd operation, I thought. Would never have happened at Bodmin North!

Edit : And on removing the DVD from the cover it took a slice of Andy Y’s lovely pic with it......

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Salvation was at hand in Bodmin, where Smugs provided a copy today. I was a bit non-plussed on dropping in to Bodmin General to find 4 loaded blood and custard coaches, sitting half-on, half-off the platform, while a loco backed on to the front. At a distance, standing on the platform, I couldn’t even decide what sort of loco. Most odd operation, I thought. Would never have happened at Bodmin North!

Edit : And on removing the DVD from the cover it took a slice of Andy Y’s lovely pic with it......

Without wanting to drag another thread off topic:

Not sure about the coaches being loaded but I believe it's something to do with, if it's a long train, in order to get all the coaches in line with the platform, the loco has to draw right to the end, which means the coach next to the loco is fouling the points of the run round loop.

Usually, when passengers have disembarked the train is propelled off the points then the loco runs back past the points which are changed so the loco can run round then propel the train back in line with the platform.

I can only assume that passengers who have done one part of the journey, say to Boscarne, are permitted to remain on the train while the maneuver is performed before making the second part of the journey, to Parkway

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have hung around longer to see the manoeuvre completed. It seemed they were intent on getting the train away, so I wasn’t convinced that propelling towards the stops was about to happen.

My first taste of preservation, circa 1964, was clouded by seeing the Bluebell operating with a loco at each end. I must remember that the aim of such lines is to please punters, not ape the prototype.

Perhaps I should have hung around longer to see the manoeuvre completed. It seemed they were intent on getting the train away, so I wasn’t convinced that propelling towards the stops was about to happen.

My first taste of preservation, circa 1964, was clouded by seeing the Bluebell operating with a loco at each end. I must remember that the aim of such lines is to please punters, not ape the prototype.

a loco at each end was an operational necessity in the Bluebells early years before gaining entry into horsted keynes. They terminated at a makeshift halt with no runround. Nothing to do with pleasing punters it was a requirement. Propelling a passenger train four and a half miles would never have been permitted